• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A Return To Kalos

BugTypeAficionado

Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!
Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    So, recently, I saw a used copy of Pokemon Y and decided to pick it up, since it was cheap. Of every generation, Generation 6 (the Kalos portion, at least. I had good fun with ORAS) was my least favorite for the longest time. A lot of factors fueled my disappointment in it, such as it's general flaws that you probably are already aware of, along with my hype. Being a Gen 5 boyo, Gen 6 was the first new generation of Pokemon I was experiencing alongside everyone else. Maybe I set my expectations too high after BW and B2W2. Maybe I've been unfair to it all this time?

Well, whether I'm right or wrong, I'm playing Pokemon Y from the very beginning. It's been at least 3 years since I last touched this game. Not going to lie, I don't remember too much of it, so this will sorta be a fresh experience. Sort of. I'm going to be giving my irrelevant opinion about every little thing I come across, so I'll try not to be too negative so you aren't seeing nothing but negative comments all the time. Unless the game just...crashes and burns in my face. But even XY weren't that bad.

Chapter 1: A Bug And Beyond
    Forgot about this title screen. It's pretty nice. This version of the Pokemon theme is...pretty okay, in all honesty. Not the best, but far from the worst. I'm getting off track, let's just start.

Not going to lie, I like the style they were going for in this version of the intro. Especially with the picture frames and mirrors. Looks nice. I name myself "Buggy", as I do for pretty much every run I do on this site, and soon enough, we're off.

And out of the darkness comes...I'm presuming our pet Fletchling, swooping in to tackle us awake. Ow. And while I was complimenting the game's appearance not too long ago, here's something nitpicky; I really don't like the chibi style of Gen 6's overworld. It's different from the 2D games, it looks more natural. Here, everybody just looks...wrong. I'm glad the 3D overworld was fleshed out more in Gen 7, which looks much better in that regard.

After talking for two seconds to our mom, we finally step outside and meet Shauna and Serena. For some reason, Calem/Serena don't wear their hats if they're the rival...which is a really strange design choice. You couldn't have them keep their hats? Sorry, nitpicking again. Moving on.

Vaniville is stupidly small, and should just be considered part of Aquacorde. Can we all agree on that? There's no reason to have these towns separated, especially when the only thing between them is a route that only lets the music play for 4 seconds before Aquacorde's music kicks in. I'll never understand that.

And now we meet all of our friends. You know what I'm going to say next, just going to save space by saying, I guess they were trying to emulate the idea of having multiple rivals from B/W, but that doesn't quite work when all four characters are 2 personality traits, tops. I insist for my nickname to be "Bug Off", because I want nothing to do with any of these people. But they're surprisingly okay with that, and even give me a Pokemon. Ah, humbug. Once given, I choose Froakie to be my partner, and named him Tempo! Surely we'll be friends for life!

One obligatory rival battle later, even though we both only have one Pokemon, at the same level, and I have the type advantage, I literally couldn't lose unless I deliberately tried to, I run all the way back home. Give letter, get Town Map, have Mom tell me how to use the Town Map even though I said I knew how to, aaaand we're finally off! Although...I do like how we just have a giant Rhyhorn sitting on a blanket in our yard, with a beach ball. That's kind of adorable, best pet Pokemon of any game. After another forced catching tutorial, we're finally on our way. But not before Shauna shows just how much brain power she's packing by having no idea that Pokemon go inside Pokeballs, despite getting her starter in-...sorry, rambling again. You get where I'm going here. It's nothing to fuss about. I need to stop taking easy blows at these characters. On another note, at least this game gets you in gear relatively quickly. SUMO suffers from having one of the slowest beginnings in...well, any Pokemon game. At least, as far as I remember. XY has something over SUMO, and it better cherish that something, because it doesn't have many others.

On the way to Santalune Forest, I find the Pokemon I'm looking for, Scatterbug. I catch her and name her Lady Timpani...and now we officially have our starter for the run. There's a reason I called my Froakie "Tempo"...because I didn't want to say "Temporary" outright. Sorry Froakie. I used Froakie in my original playthrough and I wanted to try something new. And I've never used Vivillon, so this will be fun. Anywho, after making our way through...a toned down and hand-holding version of Viridian Forest, more or less, we all walk out and head our separate ways. Beat the trainers on this route, and then I went to Santalune Gym.

This gym gave me problems, but not because it was difficult. It gave me problems because, well, I had only one Pokemon. A bug Pokemon. In a bug-type gym. Lots of not very effectives being thrown around, and Viola's Vivillon was practically a tank against my Pokemon. Although, I will say, I really do like the aesthetic of this gym. It makes you feel really small, and the dewdrops are surprisingly satisfying to run over. Minor, but I thought it was neat. Lady Timpani evolved into Spewpa during a gym trainer battle, and then evolved again into Vivillon after grinding on trainers on Route 22. But, after a long battle, we finally beat Viola. After seeing this move terrorize Lady Timpani during the battle, it's only fitting that we got the TM for Infestation so I could teach it to her myself not long after.

Next time, we'll be going for the Cliff Badge...but not before going out of our way for absolutely no reason. I swear, the Parfum Palace fetch quest is the most unnecessary thing ever...but at least we have Route 7 to keep his busy before we have to go there.

Current Team
    vivillon-ocean.gif

Lady Timpani the Vivillon
    Lv. 15
    Ability: Shield Dust
    Relaxed Nature
    - Struggle Bug
    - Infestation
    - Stun Spore
    - Protect

Back