• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Help: Pokemon Black Cartridge Saving Issue

Years
  • (TL;DR at bottom)

So let me start this off with some backstory. I'm gonna say probably about 5 years ago (I was around 13ish) I lended my cartridge of Pokemon Black to my friend to borrow for a while (like a week or a month or something). Anyway, when I recieved my cartridge back, I got an error that said "The Save Data Could Not Be Accessed". I essentially chalked this up to my friend using Action Replay too much and bricking my cartridge (the error pops up before the intro, so I can't do the "Up+Select+B").

It sucked at the time, since I had Pokemon on that cartridge I'd been collecting for like 5 years (traded from Pearl). Still kinda sucks now because I also had quite a few event Pokemon on there.

Fast forward to now. I'm on a mission to retrieve my old Pokemon. I recently bought an NDS Adaptor Plus and have transferred my .sav file to my PC. I originally tried to edit it with PKHeX, however it would say the save file was corrupted whenever I tried to edit it. I opened up the .sav file in an actual direct hex editor, and I could actually see useful data. There were definite spaces/blocks of "FF" though, which I believe are errors and are meaningless to the game. So basically I copied the hex data from the working save to the corrupted areas of my save.

After I did this, I fired PKHeX back up and I could view almost all of my old Pokemon in the box. (I could also view tons of hacked Pokemon that my friend created if you were curious). So at this point, I've got a save file with almost all of my old Pokemon on it (I'm about 99% sure any other lost pokemon have been lost due to corruption). The party has been overwritten, but I think that's just something I have to live with.

Anyway, after I cleaned up Pokemon errors and stuff like that, I attempted to write the new save back to the cartridge. The program crashed. Everytime I try to transfer the save data from PC to Cart, the program crashes. I did some research and it looks like the save data on the cartridge needs to be deleted before I can put new data on it. However if you recall earlier, I have no way to delete the data from my DS/3DS. Anyone have any ideas if there's anything I can do?

TL;DR: My Pokemon Black save data is corrupted and I can't delete the file from the cartridge/3ds/ds since I can't access the title screen. Is there anyway to delete the save data without using the cartridge? I own an NDS Adaptor Plus and an R4 for DS.

Back