• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hello, Pokemon essential/rpg maker newbie here needing some help with a cutscene.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Hello, I'm new here and I got into pokemon essentials literally two days ago I think I'm in love.
    I want to see if I can try to make a game out of this, and while looking though the wiki - it pointed me here and I figured I'd try asking for some help.

I'm trying to make a small cutscene for the game's intro where the player is woken up by their starter.
    The starter makes his way just fine (though he flickers a bit sometimes).

So what's supposed to happen is the player is "hidden" while an event of them sleeping in bed waits for some variables to trigger, but I guess there's some code I haven't bumped into yet that keeps you from changing the players graphics so I just kind of end up with the fake player sleeping in bed, while the real player is just glaring over him.

Any ideas how to hide the character until he's needed?

Attachments

• Hello, Pokemon essential/rpg maker newbie here needing some help with a cutscene.
      wakeup.png
      11.6 KB · Views: 12

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Use the "set move route" command in one event and target the player (there's a little drop-down menu. The target by default is "This event")
    With this command you can turn on and of the players visibility, make him move and some more

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Ok, first I tried it with the sleeping event, and then popplio - and both times he would be there for a split second - then I tried it with the intro text and it worked perfectly!

Thanks a lot, though I do feel silly I was messing with the move route thing and just somehow never noticed the opacity thing. Only thing left to fix is the flickering popplio does when he runs into the room (and sometimes when he follows you).

I'm still on the fence though if I'm going to have the player own the starter before hand or if he gets it in a lab (I ended up drawing a "recreation" of the player lifting the starter and I'm kind of fond of it) but I was wondering if it's possible to have him in the players party beforehand - and if its possible to nickname him after you name your character?

Edit:
    Here's what the cutscene looks like right now -
    Hello, Pokemon essential/rpg maker newbie here needing some help with a cutscene.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Seems like some Frames are missing. Does the Popplio do have a complete Charset?

Ah, your right. I originally made it for some RPG Ace project I was going to do, and I guess I didn't notice that the walking sprites had four frames. He seems to be running fine now, thanks!

Though now I guess I need to work on trying to match the game art and making him blend, along with his sprite I made that I'm using for an AV right now.

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Ok, first I tried it with the sleeping event, and then popplio - and both times he would be there for a split second - then I tried it with the intro text and it worked perfectly!

Thanks a lot, though I do feel silly I was messing with the move route thing and just somehow never noticed the opacity thing. Only thing left to fix is the flickering popplio does when he runs into the room (and sometimes when he follows you).

I'm still on the fence though if I'm going to have the player own the starter before hand or if he gets it in a lab (I ended up drawing a "recreation" of the player lifting the starter and I'm kind of fond of it) but I was wondering if it's possible to have him in the players party beforehand - and if its possible to nickname him after you name your character?

Edit:
    Here's what the cutscene looks like right now -
    View attachment 83125

The part where the 'Looks like Poppolio came to wake you up!' happens, did you just add a simple picture in the game or was it some coding stuff?

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    I just used the draw picture function during the event. I'm still really in the dark about coding stuff and just following around on the wiki trying to understand things.

I haven't shown it yet - but I'm also using battle animations for other cutscene related stuff. Still need to work on the timing.

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I just used the draw picture function during the event. I'm still really in the dark about coding stuff and just following around on the wiki trying to understand things.

I haven't shown it yet - but I'm also using battle animations for other cutscene related stuff. Still need to work on the timing.

View attachment 83175

Whoa, your art is really good! And looks like your poppolio animation is awesome too! I wish you luck in any future games you might make! Also, feel free to PM me if you want! I could use artistic people like you in my game!

Back