• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Speculation Possible return of old characters with new information on Galar region

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
  • "Stadiums across the Galar region are frequently filled with cheering crowds that have gathered to witness battles between gym leaders and challengers"

"The excitement of these battles is often broadcast on television across television in the Galar region as well"

I know that the creator states "in the galar region" specifically that this is where the battles are broadcast, but do you think that there is potential of past characters seeing Ash's battle and a return? Or do you think they may pull something like Serena?

Also, I'm positive that Milo will be one of Ash's travelling companion. The description just sounds exactly like someone that would travel with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Milo, I highly doubt he is the traveling companion as the main rival is never a traveling companion (unless they are the female protagonist). And if they are going for the same thing, it is unlikely they will be together all the time. We see the characters together, yes, but we also saw Hau with the main character and he didn't show up till late. Same can be said for Gary, Barry, Cheren, Bianca, Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor.

His traveling companion will likely be the female protagonist.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Honestly as long as it's not anyone from Kanto I think I'll be very excited. After all the Kanto Pandering in Alolan I would love to see someone (anyone really) from another region in Galar. And since it's theorized that it might be next to Kalos (just by fans though so who knows how true this is) maybe whomever is in Kalos right now could pop in over in Galar for a visit idk.

Years
  • I have never expected any old character to come back except for the girl companion of ash from the previous region or misty and brock. I'm still waiting for that Serena return. pokemon pls

but i'm getting tired of brock and misty. heck, I'm getting tired of ash *(not to be confused with the ash right above me)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I currently believe that none of the SM companions are being carried over.

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
    Years
  • i hope they bring back the following three characters
    1. Misty ( i always thought aside from Serena that she was one of the animes stronger characters)
    2. Dawn (lets be honest, Dawn and Ash were meant for each other)
    3. Serena (i'd love to see those two together again and i mean very soon)

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    You probably won't see anyone. Misty/Brock's cameos are done and they're not going to continually appear. I also don't think the SM cast will cameo in the next series, since there's a group of 5 and they won't give one of them any special treatment than the other. I feel like Serena's time has passed, unless Yajima gives her a special or something.

Only other possibility is if DP remakes happen next gen you could theoretically get a Dawn appearance, but even then she might just be ignored like May was even if her Japanese VA is available. DP ended nearly a decade ago, Dawn is practically unknown to the younger audience these days.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Lorde, I'm sure you know good and well Misty and Brock are treated a bit differently than all the other companions due to Kanto and first gen nostalgia. The writers actually stopped giving Misty cameos for 12 years between mid-AG in 2005 and 2017 when she appeared in SM, and that was because they were phasing her out when all of us original fans were the target audience, since they realized they didn't have to bring her back anymore due to the popularity of May, Contests and then into DP when Dawn was introduced. AG134 was likely intended to be her final episode of the series which is why she never appeared since besides flashbacks, but the 20th anniversary and Let's Go games, etc, was enough to give them an incentive to have her (and Brock) return a few times. Also Brock's Japanese voice actor still voices Wobbufett to this day and has since Brock left in 2010, so technically Brock's Japanese VA never left the show and constantly works on it. He also voiced Greninja, one of the most promoted pokemon in years, IIRC, so he's always had a role in the anime.

DP remakes, if they happen, probably won't be till 2021 at the earliest, and by then it'll be like...11 year since DP ended. And if you count the beginning of DP in 2006, that's even longer. She can probably still appear, but it's probably easier not to re-introduce her to all the kids who weren't even born when DP was airing. They already advertised Piplup without her with a new trainer in Movie 20, so even the Piplup promotion can go on with her.

I mean I'd like to see Dawn again, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe when the writers prove anything after the first gen can be promoted, then it'll seem more likely.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
    Years
  • Only other possibility is if DP remakes happen next gen you could theoretically get a Dawn appearance, but even then she might just be ignored like May was even if her Japanese VA is available. DP ended nearly a decade ago, Dawn is practically unknown to the younger audience these days.

The difference is that Dawn unlike May actually has a big fanbase so the writers would have a higher motivation to bring her back for a few episodes if the Sinnoh games get remade. The fact that the writers didn't care enough about May to give her a comeback episode(s) in XY when the new Hoenn games came out just suggests that they didn't have much of an incentive to display such an uninteresting character.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    This sounds like bait, but if you're being serious, there's literally 17 years worth of posts dating back to the early 2000's on every major pokemon forum, various videogame forums, anime sites, etc. with different people who all liked May and she's remained popular decades after she left the show. Most of those people dating back decades aren't even in the fandom anymore, and the millions of people who posted from the mid/late 2000's on forums aren't around anymore either, so it's literally millions of different users posts on all different forums, and nowadays social media, online. May's fanbase dates back 17 years to the early 2000's and was one of the most popular characters for years and her and her rivals have one of the largest followings of the show, all on forums, twitter/tumblr, social media, and there's new fanart of her and her rivals (Drew/Harley) almost every day on both Japanese and western sites, with millions of pics dating back to the early 2000's. People are constantly posting about her character all over social media, forums, fanart sites, reddit, etc. You can see any of this yourself with a 10 second google search throughout the internet. I also find it baffling you're signaling May out of all characters, she by has one of the largest fanbases of the girls who came into the series, and the Contests were the most popular addition to the anime. Of course Dawn is popular too, but a lot of their fanbases overlap.

Besides that, you seem to be unaware her Japanese VA Kaori has had a throat disease for years preventing her from doing much acting, and Japan doesn't usually recast characters unless they pass away like Oak/Giovanni's VA's, etc. I'm pretty sure this is bait though, because you wouldn't be trying so hard to say the writers didn't want to give May a cameo, lol

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • The difference is that Dawn unlike May actually has a big fanbase so the writers would have a higher motivation to bring her back for a few episodes if the Sinnoh games get remade. The fact that the writers didn't care enough about May to give her a comeback episode(s) in XY when the new Hoenn games came out just suggests that they didn't have much of an incentive to display such an uninteresting character.

I do suspect that Dawn's popularity would work in her favor for a cameo or major return appearance unlike with the May situation. Serena's popular too cuz of shipping so she might show up in Galar, but not for the whole saga.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I do suspect that Dawn's popularity would work in her favor for a cameo or major return appearance unlike with the May situation. Serena's popular too cuz of shipping so she might show up in Galar, but not for the whole saga.

I guess it depends if they want to use her around 2021 or so if DP remakes happen. All the target audience who watched when DP was airing from 2006-2010 would be long out of the age group range, most of the kids watching Pokemon now have likely never seen anything prior to XY. I'm also not sure what you mean by the May situation, besides the 20th anniversary stuff for Misty/Brock, old character cameos ended with Dawn's in 2012.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Lana is the breakout character of SM, same as Bonnie was in XY. The character introduced who became far more popular than people expected. It's probably ironic considering Lillie was intended to be the main popular girl this gen, but her anime incarnation didn't live up to her game incarnation for a lot of people.

I also highly suspect Lana's friendship with Misty boosted her popularity among...certain people. People on tumblr were raving about Lana having a Misty lure, something she only ever gave Ash before. It's quite telling Misty gave it to Lana, implying they are, "quite close."

Years
  • That's why i am looking for Lana to return in SWSH anime for sure, she needs a more spotlight. Some even state that there is a theory that Lana has an feelings for him.

Last edited:
    Back