• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scorpion Engine

Years
  • Scorpion Engine

Basically this is a new Game Engine I've been working on. It is made using C# and MonoGame and it's design is made to be extremely flexible to those who need flexibility but easy enough for those who can't really program any bit to use. The design is also supposed to resemble RMXP because most of us here are used to using it.

The main point of releasing the thread early is to hear what people would want implemented into the engine, so please by all means if you have an idea state it.

Features (as of now)​

Customizable Script Engines - This engine will allow you to fully integrate ANY kind of programming language, on the circumstances that you already have some sort of parser for it. (The official releases will have access to Lua, JavaScript, Ruby, and Python) (Ruby/Python are implementations are used with the IronLanguages for the .NET framework while the lua implementation is used with LuaInterface and Javascript uses Noesis.Javascript On a separate note, your game isn't limited to only one implementation, you can use any and all parsers available for use.

A Tileset Editor - The Base Editor for making Tilesets, here you can add a bitmap, set passable flags, add auto-tiles, ect.

Feature to Come:
    A Map Editor - Obviously, it wouldn't be an Easy to use game engine without a map editor (then it'd be more like Visual Studio or script editors like that)
    Resource Editor - This is for things that normal RMXP games use (The Actors/States/Items/Weapons/Ect.)
    And anything else that comes up as a good idea for this

Spoiler:

Credits (as of now):
    Rei - Developer of the engine
    The Creators of Iron (Ruby/Python), for making those parsers
    The Creators of Noesis.JavaScript, for making the parser
    The Creators of LuaInterface, for making the parser
    The Creators of MonoGame, for making mono game (This includes all the 3rd party binaries such as OpenTK)
    The Creators of Scintilla/Scintilla.NET, for making Scintilla (a Text Editor) and then porting it for the .NET framework

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
    Years
  • I like. So instead of everyone sticking to Ruby, a language that is rarely used by non-RPGM users, people can script in the language best suited to them? Awesome bro!

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Nice, looking forward to it!

Hope this one doesn't die like the Pokemon Azure Engine & the XNA version of the Pokesharp Engine!

Years
  • Updates: I got around to adding the pipeline for the tileset editor, basically it will look the same as what RMXP has, except for the fact that your tilesets can have an indefinite width and height (as well as auto-tiles) Images added on the first post

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    dunno if your wanting suggestions or anything but to try and keep tilesets from being too large as programs seam to have issues saving/editing large png files (photoshop seams not to be able to save huge png files and paint.net cant seam to zoom into large png files correctly) could something like rpg maker vx ace be done were you can add several tilesets together but also keep thee layer feature from xp? also are you planning on adding support for pokemon so that external txt files wont be needed or at least not as much?

Daruda

Grinder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    A take like the one VXA uses would be the best for the Editor, and the compatibility with others lenguages is awesome, but well Ruby is good enough.

Years
  • dunno if your wanting suggestions or anything but to try and keep tilesets from being too large as programs seam to have issues saving/editing large png files (photoshop seams not to be able to save huge png files and paint.net cant seam to zoom into large png files correctly) could something like rpg maker vx ace be done were you can add several tilesets together but also keep thee layer feature from xp? also are you planning on adding support for pokemon so that external txt files wont be needed or at least not as much?

Yes, I am wanting suggestions, and I was actually planning the multi-tileset approach because I know a lot of people would have a problem of "I need these tiles in two different tilesets, but I don't want to merge or create a new one"

I was planning indefinite layers as well, because this is another problem people come into of "I need to layer X amount of tiles on each other but I only have 3 layers"

And lastly, yes but no. This editor is made for any type of game, but I will have a plugin feature where you can add new pages to the Resource Manager and hide un-needed ones (which the hiding one won't be in a plugin rather than it will be built in).

can you make it so you can use a large amount of autotiles instead of 8?

I think I made the post about the Tileset editor unclear, but yes there will be an indefinite amount of autotiles to choose from.

A take like the one VXA uses would be the best for the Editor, and the compatibility with others lenguages is awesome, but well Ruby is good enough.

I haven't ever used VXA, but I'll look into that, but I know that it won't be exactly like it because I want the multi-layer support because I hate the fact that in VX it automatically chooses the layer for you (I'm assuming VXA has the same kind of attribute to map layers due to the post p.claydon made)

Back