• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Everything was Overhauled this Gen

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Before Generation II, everything was extremely simple. Battles were mostly just sprites on a white background, and the Pokémon Menu didn't have that many icon sprites. Generation III changed all that. Battles had backgrounds and foregrounds in them, and the Pokémon Menu had a complete overhaul. Every single Pokémon had its own unique icon sprite in the Pokémon Menu.

Back in the day, what did you think of this change? I wasn't really into Pokémon during the early 00s, but seeing the change between generations II and III, I honestly do think the overhaul made things a lot better.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I greatly disliked the fact that we couldn't trade Pokemon from the GBC games to R/S. I thought that completely starting over from scratch just felt wrong, and to this day I wish that Game Freak had found a solution to the whole trading/transferring limitation.

neptuneplato

joey100%
    Years
  • Before Generation II, everything was extremely simple. Battles were mostly just sprites on a white background, and the Pokémon Menu didn't have that many icon sprites. Generation III changed all that. Battles had backgrounds and foregrounds in them, and the Pokémon Menu had a complete overhaul. Every single Pokémon had its own unique icon sprite in the Pokémon Menu.

Back in the day, what did you think of this change? I wasn't really into Pokémon during the early 00s, but seeing the change between generations II and III, I honestly do think the overhaul made things a lot better.

Honestly having played gen 1,2 and 3 when they first came out the differences between gen 1 and 2 i was super excited about as a kid and when gen 3 came out i honestly lost my mind it had better graphics and i could finally see all the Pokemon sprites in the start menu and to me it was the best thing ever

Years
  • I loved it so much!!! The only disappointing part that completely confused me was the lack of day and night. Especially when I had an Eevee in game at one point

Years
  • I remember being a kid reading about Ruby and Sapphire in a magazine before they released. There was a picture which showed off the vibrant new color graphics, but also I specifically remember being amazed that your footsteps would leave prints on the beach.

I have very fond memories of playing my Sapphire version, I think I really liked the added sense of wilderness/exploration that certain areas had, which was greatly enhanced by the improved graphics for sure. I can appreciate the newer 3D games too, but the sprite based graphics will always have a certain nostalgic charm.

Back