• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Determine Player’s gender choice

Years
  • How to identify if the player chooses the female character or male character?

I want to know this to create some "speech" events that fit the character

Scyl

Extremely Ironic Unironic Edgelord Extraordinaire.
    Years
  • Just create a variable and tie it to the gender choice; follow up by adding in conditional branches for the speech events checking for the variable.

So, at the beginning of the game when the player is asked for their gender, if the player picks the male character, game_variable[26](Of course 26 being a variable that can be selected at your leisure) will be 1 and if they pick the female one, they don't, so the variable stays at 0.

In the conditional branches of the speech events, have it check for whatever variable that you tied the player's gender choice to and have it check for 1. That means it will play the speech events for the male character and in the else category, place the speech events for the female character.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Just create a variable and tie it to the gender choice; follow up by adding in conditional branches for the speech events checking for the variable.

So, at the beginning of the game when the player is asked for their gender, if the player picks the male character, game_variable[26](Of course 26 being a variable that can be selected at your leisure) will be 1 and if they pick the female one, they don't, so the variable stays at 0.

In the conditional branches of the speech events, have it check for whatever variable that you tied the player's gender choice to and have it check for 1. That means it will play the speech events for the male character and in the else category, place the speech events for the female character.

thanks for the explanation, but still seems too complex, after all the choice of character is not linked to variable (at least I can not find). So I'll try to use words that do not apply in genre..

Diverscope

Pardon me
    Years
  • Complex? Working with variables is pure basic stuff.

Alternatively, you can use $Trainer.gender instead. It stores a number depending on the gender of the Player (0 for male, 1 for female, 2 for unknown).

Years
  • Complex? Working with variables is pure basic stuff.

Alternatively, you can use $Trainer.gender instead. It stores a number depending on the gender of the Player (0 for male, 1 for female, 2 for unknown).

pardon me, but I'm too dumb to understand, so I'll opt for the simpler way ..

Scyl

Extremely Ironic Unironic Edgelord Extraordinaire.
    Years
  • In the intro map in base essentials (The very first map of the entire game) lies the introduction event where the professor is asking the player for their gender and name. In that event, simply add an event command "Control Variables: [0026:] = 1" after, but still in the same choice path as "Boy". This means that when the player starts a new game and selects their gender, regardless of what they choose, the variable will be set to either 1 or 0.

Event in Base Essentials: http://prntscr.com/jyxr6f
    Adding in the variable change: http://prntscr.com/jyxrg6

After that, in the events that you want the text to change depending on what gender the player is, run a conditional branch checking for variable 26 to be equal to 1, which will show the Male character's version of the text. In the else portion of the conditional branch, print the Female character's version of the text.

http://prntscr.com/jyxrp8

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    How to identify if the player chooses the female character or male character?

I want to know this to create some "speech" events that fit the character

You search that in PBS File where you search "trainertypes" and "metadata".

In metadata, each player have a name like: "PlayerA=POKEMONTRAINER_Red", this name will decide the player who is male or female. Why? Because in "trainertypes", you can see line "0,POKEMONTRAINER_Red,Pokémon Trainer,60,,,,Male,,", this line decided 'POKEMONTRAINER_Red' who is a male. So, you can set up each character who is male or female with this method.

More, the image: Wiki

Years
  • You search that in PBS File where you search "trainertypes" and "metadata".

In metadata, each player have a name like: "PlayerA=POKEMONTRAINER_Red", this name will decide the player who is male or female. Why? Because in "trainertypes", you can see line "0,POKEMONTRAINER_Red,Pokémon Trainer,60,,,,Male,,", this line decided 'POKEMONTRAINER_Red' who is a male. So, you can set up each character who is male or female with this method.

More, the image: Wiki

Thank you, I finally got it. Really was something very simple XD

Back