• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to edit RPG_RT.exe with Resource Hacker

Years
  • How to edit RPG_RT.exe with Resource Hacker

Ok this is fairly simple, first you need to download Resource Hacker, you can get it at http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

Lesson 1 - Enterbrain Logo
    Step 1 - Exporting Logo:
    We all know the startup screen when loading RPG_RT.exe says Enterbrain, but what if we want to edit it? Well first we have to export it, this is how you do it:

First open Resource Hacker
    reshack1.png

Next load up your RPG_RT.exe, (do not worry if you screw up the file while trying to replace something, ResHacker always makes a backup called RPG_RT_original.exe) now you'll see a selection of folders, so open up the open called XYZ and the LOGO1 inside of it, now select the file called 0 and click the action tab and then click Save resource as a binary file ...
    reshack2.png

Now save the file as an XYZ image, (preferably in your RM2k/3 project folder)
    reshack3.png

Afterwards open up RPG2000/2003.exe and import it as a PNG image, now open it up in the program you make graphics in, like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, and edit it to your liking.

Step 2 - Importing Logo:
    Before inserting it, we will have to import it in RPG2000/2003.exe as an XYZ image, so do that first.

After you've done that it's time to import it.

First you will need to delete the other XYZ logo, so right click it and press Delete Resource [XYZ : LOGO1 : 0]
    reshack4.png

After you've done that you will need to insert your own, so click the action tab and click Add a new resource ...
    A window will pop up, click Open file with new resource ... click it and find your XYZ image, and open it, now a few options will popup, such as Resource Type, Resource Name, and Resource Language.
    Now type in the following and click add resource when your done.
    Resource Type: XYZ
    Resource Name: LOGO1
    Resource Language: Leave it empty
    reshack5.png

Now it should look like this again:
    reshack6.png

Congratulations, you've now succesfully replaced the Enterbrain logo.

Tomorrow's Lesson: How to edit the EXFont.

Comments, critisim and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Nice tutorial. But there are so many other *easier* ways to do this. Until something (or nothing? :() is done about the tutorial forum, your best bet of getting this seen is the Technical Institute here @ PC.

Easier tools to use:
    "Resource Work Shop"
    Anomy's Resource Utility
    RM Recker

These are just like 1 or two clicks and it's hacked. No need to do all those steps.

Years
  • DarkMage31 said:
    Nice tutorial. But there are so many other *easier* ways to do this. Until something (or nothing? :() is done about the tutorial forum, your best bet of getting this seen is the Technical Institute here @ PC.

Easier tools to use:
    "Resource Work Shop"
    Anomy's Resource Utility
    RM Recker

These are just like 1 or two clicks and it's hacked. No need to do all those steps.

I think ResHacker is much better, and easy. :bandit:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • We can debate this all day. I guess it's just up to w***ver is looking to change their spash/icon/glyph settings. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's lesson :)

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Why is whoever censored as well?
    It seems that everything with '***' is like that.

*back on topic*

Years
  • Lesson 2

Lesson 2 - EXFont

We all know the symbols that are in the game, for example the sword icon, but what if we'd like to have our own icons in our game?
    reshack11.png

Step 1 - Exporting it:
    Well first you'll need load up your RPG_RT.exe in ResHacker, open up the bitmap folder and scroll down till you see EXFONT open that folder right click the file in it and select Save [Bitmap : EXFONT : 0] ...
    reshack7.png

Now save it as a bitmap and load it up in whatever program you make graphics in, for this I use MS Paint, each icon uses 12x12 pixels, so you can only use something that is exactly that or smaller.
    Now get the symbols you want for your game and put them in.

Step 2 - Importing it:

Now that your done with it, we want to insert it onto the old one, so here's how we do it:

Right click the file in the EXFONT folder and click on Replace Resource...
    A window will pop up showing the EXFONT file.
    reshack8.png

Now click on the button saying Open file with new bitmap... and find your EXFONT image, then open it, now it should show up in the box on the left side, now click Replace.
    reshack9.png

Now open the EXFONT folder, and open the file in it, the EXFONT should now have been changed.
    reshack10.png

That's it you've succesfully replaced the EXFONT with your own!

Comments, critisim and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
    Years
  • DarkMage31 said:
    Very cool. Great screenshots! I still think RM Recker is easier though :)

It's all a matter of taste, by the way, what can RM Recker do besides changing the EXFONT and the Enterbrain Logo?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • It can only change splash screens (logo), the glyphs (exfont) and the icon. I have other tools to do the same stuff though. You just select tthe image you want to use and hit "Apply" and you're done. I'm probably going to get this program though, it looks more powerful. Can you change font in it?

Years
  • DarkMage31 said:
    It can only change splash screens (logo), the glyphs (exfont) and the icon. I have other tools to do the same stuff though. You just select tthe image you want to use and hit "Apply" and you're done. I'm probably going to get this program though, it looks more powerful. Can you change font in it?

I'm not sure if you can change the font, I haven't looked for it.

Years
    import it as a PNG image, now open it up in the program you make graphics in, like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, and edit it to your liking.
    I tried that and it came up with an error saying invalid image size...

Years
  • Krazy_Meerkat said:
    I tried that and it came up with an error saying invalid image size...

Which program did you use?
    It works fine for me in PSP

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I know what the problem is, you accidently changed the image size, just change it to 320x240 pixels and it should work.

Years
  • Oh no, When I opened it up in rm2k3, and tried to import as .png, it said INVALID IMAGE SIZE and didn't work, I hadn't changed the size of the image...

Years
  • Krazy_Meerkat said:
    Oh no, When I opened it up in rm2k3, and tried to import as .png, it said INVALID IMAGE SIZE and didn't work, I hadn't changed the size of the image...

Upload it into the picture folder, thats what I did, that should work.

Back