• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Emerald Battle Frontier Tag Battles

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Okay, so you may not know that this exists, but either way, here it goes.

In the emerald Battle Frontier, there's one particular battle mode in the battle tower that allows the player to team up with an NPC to have tag battles with other NPCs. If you've never done that, warp yourself to 26 5, and talk to this lady:

6z762.jpg

That being said, that battle mode is a very interesting one, and I think that if hacked properly, can be extremely useful for creating future tag battles. If done right, which we still haven't done (lol), it has a very good advantage over Steven's: it can be done more than once.

That being said, Le Pug and I have tried for a few hours today to see how exactly it works, but to no avail. All the scripts combined are hundreds, if not thousands of lines long, and we need help on this. We've got some work done, and I'll post it once we get it organized, right now it's just lines of and irc chat, but basically, we've come to the conclusion that:

• setvar 0x40CE 0x2 is very important to the script
  • clearflag 0x152 is to
  • the script will NOT work if you hack yourself to just talk to the people whom you pair up with, the lady is very important other than just for choosing pokemon, saving, etc.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, I think this is a great feature that we should focus on.

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
IIRC, glazed uses this functionality in a battle. Might just be a reuse of the Steven one, but it seems to be using the battle tower scripts (you choose 3 pokemon, partner uses 3, you tagteam vs 2 other trainers).

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
IIRC, glazed uses this functionality in a battle. Might just be a reuse of the Steven one, but it seems to be using the battle tower scripts (you choose 3 pokemon, partner uses 3, you tagteam vs 2 other trainers).

That's still the same as Stevens.

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
That's still the same as Stevens.

huh, I recall the emerald battle being just like the ORAS one -- a normal tag battle with your normal team. But I see now, checking youtube quickly, that that is not the case. Sorry then!

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
But I already did this

huh, I recall the emerald battle being just like the ORAS one -- a normal tag battle with your normal team. But I see now, checking youtube quickly, that that is not the case. Sorry then!

It IS pretty much the same mechanism as the Steven Tag Team battle. I remember fiddling with a constant somehwere that when changed it would trigger one of these battles with front sprites instead of back sprites. So the rest is pretty much identical. I already hacked all of this to allow fully custom Steven Tag team battles...

Back