• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen [Updated] Starting Leaf Green

Years
  • I'm pretty new to the pokemon series of games for the most part. I've had FireRed ever since it was new (my first game in the series) but I never got far off of numerous attempts to get into it. I never bought another pokemon game after this so in a sense, I'm playing "blind", sort of. I have a general grasp of the basics and a little bit of knowledge about the general game but I figured, I would start a topic documenting my time going through this game for the first time. I know some people like to hear/read about others going through a favorite game/series for the first time so I figured I would do that for others. Also, it would keep me on track. It's a lot harder to give up on something if others know you're doing it.

So, here's to my first time going through this game all the way! I'll be starting this week when I get some down time, I'll let you all know how it goes on my first update! Huzzah!

Last edited:
    Years
  • While we've got a journal journey stickied here at the top of Third Generation for things like this, I think it'd be interesting to hear your story and progress of your playthrough of FireRed, so feel free to keep updating us here. Best of luck on your journey, and hope to hear how things are going for you soon!

Years
  • Your first journey is always the best! Don't be afraid to ask any questions if you need help :)

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    FiredRed and LeafGreen are still my favorite games graphically. Truly gorgeous remakes.

Years
  • Thanks everybody for your shared enthusiasm! I'll probably start on Thursday or Friday. I just noticed the sticky topic that looks to be doing the same thing I made this topic for, wish I would have seen that before I did the topic. But I'll keep this topic going since I went and started it.

Years
  • So I started my game this morning which led into this afternoon...so much fun! Couldn't put it down until I forced myself. I made some good progress. I'll type up a little bit about what happened, I'm not good with spelling of pokemon names so go easy on me...

-I chose Squirtle as my starter, he's my favorite pokemon (if my avatar and signature didn't give it away). I named my character after me (Andy) and my rival Derek (I never have really known a Derek, the name just popped into my head when they asked me to name him, so I used it.)

-So far my active team is Squirtle, Zubat, Beedrill, Magikarp, Rattata, and Spearow. I've shelved a Butterfree and a Paras.

-I beat Brock and rematched Derek.

-I got through Mt. Moon and stopped there for the day.

While playing I noticed a ton of things, some things I figured out and other things got solved on their own. At one point I was thinking "man, my guy is so slow, I wish he could walk faster". I knew bikes existed in one of the games so I was figuring I would get one eventually. A few minutes later I got the running shoes, it was PERFECT timing. Right as slow walking was starting to get tedious the game fixed it for me, it was pretty funny. Now, as for my questions (there's a lot of them, if you can only answer a few that's fine!)...
    -Is gender pretty evenly split in this game? I ask because, aside from my Squirtle, ALL of my pokemon are female. Even the Magikarp I bought! Not like I have a problem with getting an all female (or male) team, it just seems kind of strange how nearly every pokemon I come across is female. Is it just a 50/50 chance and I'm just on a female streak today?
    -I have a few of those TMs now and I'm sort of confused on them. I gather they teach moves but, who should I be giving these to? I'm imagining certain pokemon benefit more from certain moves, is there a resource that shows that information?
    -Is Water strong against Gound/Rock? I noticed my Squirtle pretty much decimated Brock's team, while all my other pokemon barely put a scratch in them.
    -Is Zubat worth training at all really? I'm not really getting much damage out of it and its defense seems to be kind of spotty, I'm wondering if I should just shelve it and take out one of my other pokemon?
    -How should I level? I'm trying to evenly level everyone in my team, like I do with most RPGs, so no one pokemon is godlike and I don't have a group of "rejects" who just sit severely underleveled and useless. I imagine the more pokemon I get the harder it's going to be to keep everyone around the same level. I'm imagining the worst case scenario is I have a leveled team, but they're all underleveled. Should I just concentrate on a main six and leave everyone else behind? Or like a main twelve?
    -I'm at a part where these kung fu twins (that's what I've dubbed them as today) want to teach my pokemon a punch or kick move. Squirtle is the only one who can learn that now though but I'm thinking that's kind of a waste, should I hold off on learning these moves until I get a different pokemon?
    -I was about to ask if you buy find rare candies, but a girl in a shop told me you can't just before I stopped playing for the day (which makes that the second time the game read my mind, first with the running shoes). So are these just super rare items or are there places to get them?

I think that's about all my questions for now...I had a ton while playing but now I'm struggling to remember them all. So far I'm loving this game though! This is about where I stopped playing last time I think, I believe I was fighting a gym leader (Misty maybe? Whoever has a bunch of water pokemon) and I kept getting crushed. I lost interest and stopped playing ever since then. It took me a lot longer to get to this point last time though, several days. This time I'm having a lot more fun and am much more focused to keep going.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Now, as for my questions (there's a lot of them, if you can only answer a few that's fine!)...
    -Is gender pretty evenly split in this game? I ask because, aside from my Squirtle, ALL of my pokemon are female. Even the Magikarp I bought! Not like I have a problem with getting an all female (or male) team, it just seems kind of strange how nearly every pokemon I come across is female. Is it just a 50/50 chance and I'm just on a female streak today?
    Most pokemon are 50% male and 50% female, but there are plenty that have different ratios. Machop, for instance, is male about 75% of the time, Clefairy is usually female, and some pokemon are only ever one gender (Hitmonchan is only male). Here's a good list of gender splits.
    -I have a few of those TMs now and I'm sort of confused on them. I gather they teach moves but, who should I be giving these to? I'm imagining certain pokemon benefit more from certain moves, is there a resource that shows that information?
    TMs can contain very good, useful moves. However, it's usually a good idea to have some kind of plan in mind for a pokemon's move set before teaching one since they can only be taught once. HMs on the other hand can be taught to however many pokemon you want, but keep in mind you can't replace them until you meet the move deleter. Some HMs are required for progress in the game (like surf).

As for who should learn what move, there's an art to planning a moveset that best compliments a pokemon's strengths. Keep in mind the type of attack (physical or special). The attack and defense stats are tied to physical attacks (like takedown). The special attack and special defense stats are tied to special attacks (like flamethrower). Also keep in mind a pokemon's type. If a water or part water type pokemon uses a water move it receives a STAB (same type attack bonus) of 1.5x to the damage done.

A great resource for all things pokemon is Bulbapedia. And of course you can always ask here! If you have an iPhone I also highly recommend the Dexter pokedex app.
    -Is Water strong against Gound/Rock? I noticed my Squirtle pretty much decimated Brock's team, while all my other pokemon barely put a scratch in them.
    Water is super effective against rock AND ground, so yes, water will crush Brock's team. See a full chart of type effectiveness here.
    -Is Zubat worth training at all really? I'm not really getting much damage out of it and its defense seems to be kind of spotty, I'm wondering if I should just shelve it and take out one of my other pokemon?
    In gen 2 and onward, yes. In gen 1.... not for me personally. In gen 2, Golbat can eventually evolve into Crobat who is really good. However, you won't be able to get that evolution until beating the elite four and getting the national dex, so you would be stuck with Golbat. Golbat is ok, but there are better flying types out there.
    -How should I level? I'm trying to evenly level everyone in my team, like I do with most RPGs, so no one pokemon is godlike and I don't have a group of "rejects" who just sit severely underleveled and useless. I imagine the more pokemon I get the harder it's going to be to keep everyone around the same level. I'm imagining the worst case scenario is I have a leveled team, but they're all underleveled. Should I just concentrate on a main six and leave everyone else behind? Or like a main twelve?
    This is really up to you as a trainer! Some people train many or all of their pokemon. That's way too time consuming for me, so I just focus on my main six, with sometimes an extra one or two beyond that.

How to train is another matter. For now, just level your pokemon and have fun. Later, when you have some pokemon experience under your belt, you can get into IV selection and EV training if you want to battle competitively. This is by no means necessary for the single player campaign.
    -I'm at a part where these kung fu twins (that's what I've dubbed them as today) want to teach my pokemon a punch or kick move. Squirtle is the only one who can learn that now though but I'm thinking that's kind of a waste, should I hold off on learning these moves until I get a different pokemon?
    I'd say research moves your pokemon will learn in the future and see who would benefit from the moves the best. You can always teach these moves later.
    -I was about to ask if you could find rare candies, but a girl in a shop told me you can't just before I stopped playing for the day (which makes that the second time the game read my mind, first with the running shoes). So are these just super rare items or are there places to get them?
    You definitely can find them scattered around the world. You'll come across a handful in your travels.

I think that's about all my questions for now...I had a ton while playing but now I'm struggling to remember them all. So far I'm loving this game though! This is about where I stopped playing last time I think, I believe I was fighting a gym leader (Misty maybe? Whoever has a bunch of water pokemon) and I kept getting crushed. I lost interest and stopped playing ever since then. It took me a lot longer to get to this point last time though, several days. This time I'm having a lot more fun and am much more focused to keep going.

Thanks for reading!

Come back with more questions if you think of them! Glad to hear you are enjoying the game so much. Sounds like you've already made great progress! I look forward to your next update.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Most pokemon are 50% male and 50% female, but there are plenty that have different ratios. Machop, for instance, is male about 75% of the time, Clefairy is usually female, and some pokemon are only ever one gender (Hitmonchan is only male). Here's a good list of gender splits.
    Thanks for the information and the link! I always just assumed it was always a 50/50 split, I didn't know it went into much more detail than that!
    TMs can contain very good, useful moves. However, it's usually a good idea to have some kind of plan in mind for a pokemon's move set before teaching one since they can only be taught once. HMs on the other hand can be taught to however many pokemon you want, but keep in mind you can't replace them until you meet the move deleter. Some HMs are required for progress in the game (like surf).
    So there's definitely some planning involved for sure. I'll have to hold onto my TMs then for a little bit longer and wait until I'm pretty confident about assigning them to someone.

As for who should learn what move, there's an art to planning a moveset that best compliments a pokemon's strengths. Keep in mind the type of attack (physical or special). The attack and defense stats are tied to physical attacks (like takedown). The special attack and special defense stats are tied to special attacks (like flamethrower). Also keep in mind a pokemon's type. If a water or part water type pokemon uses a water move it receives a STAB (single type attack bonus) of 1.5x to the damage done.
    So essentially, I could train a fire type pokemon to learn water type moves? Though I imagine that's not ideal because it's not its native type, so it wouldn't do much damage with it.

A great resource for all things pokemon is Bulbapedia. And of course you can always ask here! If you have an iPhone I also highly recommend the Dexter pokedex app.
    I've had Bulbapedia bookmarked for ages but never thought to check on it (for who knows what reasons). I have an Android phone but I also have an iPod touch, the application you mentioned was available for both platforms so I put it on my phone. It's definitely handy! It answered some additional questions I had (which pokemon types are what, what are they effective/weak against, when do they evolve).

In gen 2 and onward, yes. In gen 1.... not for me personally. In gen 2, Golbat can eventually evolve into Crobat who is really good. However, you won't be able to get that evolution until beating the elite four and getting the national dex, so you would be stuck with Golbat. Golbat is ok, but there are better flying types out there.
    With that in mind I'll probably just drop Zubat this game then. I don't see myself really taking a liking to it and if it's not really going to get better this time around then I'd rather leave the slot open for something else.

This is really up to you as a trainer! Some people train many or all of their pokemon. That's way too time consuming for me, so I just focus on my main six, with sometimes an extra one or two beyond that.
    I'll probably just stick with the ones that I like and see how it goes, if I end up only liking six or so then I'll just train those but if I end up liking 20 or so, then I'll go with them! I'll probably just shelve ones I don't like and keep them there, no point working with certain pokemon that I don't intend to use anyway I suppose. So I think that's what my playstyle will be.

How to train is another matter. For now, just level your pokemon and have fun. Later, when you have some pokemon experience under your belt, you can get into IV selection and EV training if you want to battle competitively. This is by no means necessary for the single player campaign.
    I don't imagine I'll ever play competitively, I'm just not a competitive person in the slightest. I like working with others much more. So I probably won't concern myself with making the "best" pokemon who could take down other human players and just focus on what I want them to do and what will get take me through the game and the AI.

I'd say research moves your pokemon will learn in the future and see who would benefit from the moves the best. You can always teach these moves later.
    So is the maximum moves a pokemon can learn four? Can you swap them out for other learned moves or once they "unlearn" or forget a move, is it gone for good?

You definitely can find them scattered around the world. You'll come across a handful in your travels.
    I just realized I put a typo in my post about this (I have since fixed it). I meant to say, can you BUY rare candies, instead I put can you FIND rare candies. Either way, you did answer the question! I guess it wouldn't make much sense if you could buy rare candies, you could over level your team in no time unless they set the price for them extremely high.

Come back with more questions if you think of them! Glad to hear you are enjoying the game so much. Sounds like you've already made great progress! I look forward to your next update.
    I definitely will come back with more questions I'm sure! I'll probably resume playing tomorrow or Tuesday, whenever my schedule allows, and I'll update this soon after that. Thanks again for all your help! You're awesome.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So there's definitely some planning involved for sure. I'll have to hold onto my TMs then for a little bit longer and wait until I'm pretty confident about assigning them to someone.
    (...)
    So essentially, I could train a fire type pokemon to learn water type moves? Though I imagine that's not ideal because it's not its native type, so it wouldn't do much damage with it.
    (...)
    So is the maximum moves a pokemon can learn four? Can you swap them out for other learned moves or once they "unlearn" or forget a move, is it gone for good?

Yes, the maximum number of moves a pokemon can learn is four. Once you "forget" a move there's no easy way to get it back. The Move Relearner or Move Reminder is a character in the game that can re-teach forgotten moves, but he usually isn't accessible until the late game. All moves can be forgotten and replaced with new moves except for HMs which require the Move Deleter to forget.

I think planning movesets is one of the most interesting things about pokemon games. There's a lot of consideration that goes into planning out the perfect set of moves that compliment each other and the pokemon. I'd be happy to offer feedback on specific pokemon as you go, since a lot of it depends on how you want to use a pokemon and who else you have in your team, but in general try to take advantage of STAB moves, moves that utilize a pokemon's best stats, and moves that are super effective against a variety of types.

I definitely will come back with more questions I'm sure! I'll probably resume playing tomorrow or Tuesday, whenever my schedule allows, and I'll update this soon after that. Thanks again for all your help! You're awesome.
    No problem! Have fun!

Years
  • Okay, time for update number two! I got a lot done and got past the dreaded roadblock that's stopped my progress numerous times before (Misty). So, here's my update for today!

-Beat Misty! Finally. Got her badge.

-Rematched Derek again and then beat the five trainers with the final match against the team Rocket member.

-Leveled a ton.

-Met Bill and got the S.S. ticket.

-Got the bike!

-Big changes to my lineup. Squirtle evolved into Wartortle, Magikarp went to Gyrados (yes!), Pirdgey is now Pidgeotto, Spearow made it to Fearow, Ratata is now Raticate. I also traded a girl in town for a Farfetch'd, caught a Meowth, Ekans, and Diglette. I've shelved Butterfree, Zubat, and whoever else I mentioned from my first post that I forgot to mention here. I haven't decided what my lineup is going to be moving forward, everyone is around level 20.

Now, here come the questions!

-Will I ever see the starters again? I like Charmander a lot but just didn't pick him as my starter, I would like a Charizard eventually too. Bulbasaur is also pretty cool. I'm assuming though once you make your selection, you're stuck unless you trade with another player?

-Do the wild pokemon start to diversify soon? I'm always running into the same weedles, caterpies and the like. All the other trainers have a lot of cool pokemon (Pikachu, Abra, Onix!) and I keep running into the same types since I started the game. I'm assuming I'm getting into the point now though where things change, considering Ekans and Meowth are starting to show up.

-Can I ever change names for my pokemon? I like to keep their names the same and never give nick names, the girl in the town though changed her Farfetch'd name and I just don't like it. It is a boy though! My first male pokemon since my starter.

I had a few other questions but I was able to figure them out while I played or someone in-game explained things for me. Overall I'm liking the game a lot, I just hope I'm not going too fast through it as I want it to last. It's a lot of fun.

Years
  • Okay, time for update number two! I got a lot done and got past the dreaded roadblock that's stopped my progress numerous times before (Misty). So, here's my update for today!

(...)

That's some good progress for sure! Nice!

Now, here come the questions!

-Will I ever see the starters again? I like Charmander a lot but just didn't pick him as my starter, I would like a Charizard eventually too. Bulbasaur is also pretty cool. I'm assuming though once you make your selection, you're stuck unless you trade with another player?

You can only get one starter legitimately (as far as I remember). Your best bet if you want the other starters is to trade them over from another game.

-Do the wild pokemon start to diversify soon? I'm always running into the same weedles, caterpies and the like. All the other trainers have a lot of cool pokemon (Pikachu, Abra, Onix!) and I keep running into the same types since I started the game. I'm assuming I'm getting into the point now though where things change, considering Ekans and Meowth are starting to show up.

Yes, the pokemon you find will diversify as you go. To address the specific pokemon you mentioned, Pikachu will appear in Viridian Forest and the Power Plant, Abra will appear on routes 24 and 25, and Onix will appear in the Rock Tunnel and on Victory Road.

-Can I ever change names for my pokemon? I like to keep their names the same and never give nick names, the girl in the town though changed her Farfetch'd name and I just don't like it. It is a boy though! My first male pokemon since my starter.

Yes you can! To change the name of a pokemon, visit the Name Rater in Lavender town. However, note that you cannot change the name of any pokemon you got in trades.

I had a few other questions but I was able to figure them out while I played or someone in-game explained things for me. Overall I'm liking the game a lot, I just hope I'm not going too fast through it as I want it to last. It's a lot of fun.

Don't worry too much about going too fast! There are other great pokemon games out there. If you have a GameBoy Advance and don't want to get a new system then your next logical step would be either Gold/Silver/Crystal (these feel way older, but are the next games chronologically and are still fun) or Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I think I would recommend Emerald as a good place to go after Fire Red personally!

Years
  • Thanks for your help! I actually have gone a little of spending spree for the series...I bought Platinum, Soul Silver, White 1&2, Black 1&2...so I've got some work ahead of me! I'm getting a 3DS later this year so I'm also planning on Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, as well as X and Y (and Sun and Moon). I'm still debating if I should get Heart Gold and Pearl and/or Diamond....

Years
  • Sort of small update for today:

-Went on the S.S. Anne and rematched Derek again (again!).

-Got The badge from the Surge guy (I think his name was Surge). I totally got swept by his Raichu THREE times. He one shot killed everyone in the team one by one. I couldn't help but laugh the second time through because it was too comical how brutal Raichu was being. Eventually after switching teams around a few times I finally got him.

-Not much change to my lineup at all, Diglett evolved into Dugtrio. I leveled a lot of pokemon, no one else has evolved.

-I got the cut move and gave it to Meowth for now.

-I walked blindly through the Rock Tunnel (I think that was the name). I couldn't find the Flash move so that took a while to get through...and I got challenged right after I came out on the other lose and was defeated! So I had to do it a second time. It was my fault for losing though, I was way too careless.

-Made it to Lavender Town! I've wanted to get here for years and years, it was my most wanted place to visit in this game ever since I first heard about it. I've been interested in it for being the only "spooky" place in the game and just like the backstory and fan theories I've heard/read about.

-I stopped at Lavender town for the day.

As always...here's a few more questions.

-How come Meowth keeps getting berries, where's he getting them from? What am I supposed to do with them?

-Where did I miss the Flash move? I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to go through the tunnel blindly but I couldn't find the move.

-A guy in the cave said an Onix was around, I never ran into one in there. Was he talking about the actual tunnel or outside of it?

I think that's all I can remember for now. Thanks for reading!

Years
  • Small update for today, I didn't play long.

-I went through the tower in Lavender Town but left because of the ghost blocking the stairway. I think I need something, like the Silph Code I think they were saying, but I couldn't find it.

-I rematched Derek for the like fifth time now I think.

-Explored some more until I hit several road blocks. I think I have to do Celadon city (not sure if that's the spelling) next

-Still haven't caught any new Pokemon. I keep running into things I've had already. I've been using the fishing rod but it never seems to work no matter what water I'm at...

Years
  • -How come Meowth keeps getting berries, where's he getting them from? What am I supposed to do with them?

-Where did I miss the Flash move? I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to go through the tunnel blindly but I couldn't find the move.

-A guy in the cave said an Onix was around, I never ran into one in there. Was he talking about the actual tunnel or outside of it?

I think that's all I can remember for now. Thanks for reading!

• Your Meowth has the ability pickup. Berries can be used by Pokémon to restore HP, boots stats when on low health, and remove status ailments. Other berries are only used to make Pokéblocks, an item used in the Hoenn games.
    • Flash is received from Professor Oak's aid on Route 2. The aid is found on a house on the eastern side of the route.
    • Onix can be found in Rock Tunnel. However, it has 10% or less chance of being found.

Years
  • Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I didn't get a chance to play today, I probably won't be able to until Monday I think. I'll post another update when I do though!

Years
  • I've been busy these past few days but I got a chance to play for a little while. Here's what happened today:

-Went to the big city (Celadon I think it was called? Always forget the spelling) and did a bunch of shopping.

-Found the Team Rocket headquarters and cleared it, beat Giovanni.

-Got the Rainbow badge from the grass obsessed girl.

-Got the Silph code so went back to Pokemon tower.

-Cleared Pokemon tower

-My team is now Wartortle, Gastly (just caught), Marowak (just caught), Persian (just evolved), Arbok (just evolved), and Gyarados.

-I still keep catching nothing but female pokemon! It's weird, the only two males I got were my starter and the Farfetch'd/

-I really, really, hated the name given to Farfetch'd by the CPU girl so I released him.

So that was all for today! Had some fun but didn't get much time to play today. I'm thinking about going through Leaf Green after this, I know it's essentially the same game just with different pokemon but I'm thinking it might be worth the play through.

Back