• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LA’s Hisuidex Journey

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
LA's Hisuidex Journey

With the recent release of Legends Arceus I fell into the trap of following the plot like a greedy little Grumpig and jumping to the end of the game without really exploring properly and taking in the various fun aspects of each region. Possibly like many other players I spent more time in the Obsidian Fieldlands than anywhere else and by the time I reached the fourth and fifth areas I was barely stopping to collect ore while dashing through the storyline. While this hasn't disappointed me at all, I do feel like I have rushed this one and after collecting all the legendaries (except Arceus itself) I couldn't help but feel that I had missed out on the experience.

Most people would then go back through the game and explore but to me that removes a lot of the fun and runs the risk of being very boring and tiresome. So, instead, I have decided to start over on a new save and run a Pokedex completion journey where I spend way more time investigating the areas and raising various Pokemon rather than smashing out the story with my starter and a few alphas.

As such, here is LA's Hisuidex Journey…

Part 1​

On my original playthrough I picked the one and only Oshawott to accompany me but for the second time around one of the others had to be picked. Honestly, I found this really hard as neither Cyndaquil nor Rowlett are really "up there" with my favourite starters but eventually resigned myself to the grassy owl as the final evolution feels like a lesser of two evils to me.

The initial portion of the story is extremely dialogue heavy so I explored between chat-sessions with the NPCs and spoke to additional vendors who I had never even come close to on the first run through the game. I also experimented more with thrown items such as spoiled apricorns and berries which didn't feature in my first game and discovered that I am a clinically diagnosed moron for missing out the mechanics of stunning angry wild Pokemon!!

Adding the standard Pokmon to my pasture, I made my way up to the collection of Wyrdeer to enable faster travel around the region. With my new car fueled up, some of my captures filled critical spots on the team while I completed Pokedex entries and explored areas that hadn't piqued my interest before. In this process I caught and evolved a load of additional Pokemon and fill some of the dex entries not only to level 10 but to MAX completeness!!

Captures:
Rowlett, Bidoof, Bibarel, Starly, Staravia, Shinx, Luxio, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Ponyta, Eevee, Umbreon, Zubat, Drifloon, Kricketot, Kricketune, Buizel, Burmy, Geodude, Stantler, Munchlax, Paras, Pichu, Pikachu, Chimchar, Mime Jr.

Dex level 10:
Rowlett, Bidoof, Starly, Shinx, Luxio, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Ponyta, Eevee, Drifloon, Kricketot, Buizel, Geodude, Pichu, Pikachu, Mime Jr.

Dex 100%:
Bidoof, Starly, Wurmple

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Part 2

Continuing my quest to complete the Pokedex, and putting together a Living Dex in my Pastures, I set about catching dupes to create placeholders for evolutions. I mean, obviously I was catching dupes as it is one of the easiest (and required) ways to complete Pokedex entries but for the purposes of building a Living Dex it gets annoying when all of the gaps get filled by random crap. To prevent this happening I filled the gaps with adorable Bidoof.

The hunt across the Obsidian Fieldlands wasn't bad at all. For the most part finding the Pokemon I needed was fine but those placeholders really began to take their toll when hunting Happiny in the Oreburrow Tunnel. It took a total of 16 reset of spawns to get the three I needed and two of those were in spawn number 3… Yeah… It was a bad time.
The other Pokemon it took some time to get placeholders for was Eevee. But, thanks to my search in that corner of the Horseshoe Plains I managed to catch my first shiny! A baby boy Bidoof!.... Why couldn't he have been an Eevee spawn?! >.<

Mixing things up, I took a number of trips back to town to keep on top of all of my requests and soon discovered that I had two outstanding that were causing me problems.
First off, can anyone tell me if it is possible to complete the Buizel mission without catching an Alpha?! So far I have caught up to height 2'7 but the chap who wants it needs a 2'8. What a picky man! What's one inch between friends?!

Then the other mission is completing the dex entry for Cherrim. Surely this is a crazy mission for so early in the game?! At first I though "Hey, no problem, just use Petal Dance and we're good to go" but noooo, Cherrim doesn't learn that until level 62!!! Seems like I'll have to keep that lady waiting for quite a while longer…

With my dex entries looking ship-shape, I jumped into the arena and faced Kleavor with my trusty Gastrodon. With the noble's frenzy quelled, I'm moving on to the Crimson Mirelands.

Captures:
Flareon, Espeon, Leafeon, Golbat, Crobat, Drifblim, Wormadam, Mothim, Graveler, Abra, Monferno, Buneary, Lopunny, Cherubi, Cherrim, Psyduck, Combee, Scyther, Mr. Mime, Magikarp, Shellos, Gastrodon, Happiny, Machop

Dex level 10:
Bibarel, Staravia, Zubat, Golbat, Burmy, Cherubi, Combee, Happiny, Machop

Dex 100%:
none

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Part 3

Maybe it's me but the Crimson Mirelands seemed to pass much faster than the Obsidian Fieldlands for the story part of the game. Completing the section was no problem at all and since this is my second playthrough, certain aspects are waaay easier than my first blind playthrough such as defeating Lilligant; on the first run I barely her as one more hit would have taken me out but on this run she literally only managed to hit me once.

In a new area I wasn't expecting wild Pokemon to hit as hard as they do and Flamethrower-wielding Skuntank were a particular surprised as they hit like an absolute truck! And did anyone else think that Carnivine and Paras are super aggressive, spotting the trainer from a long distance away before coming in for an attack?!

Another thing I have learned is just how obvious Unown are on the second time around; one is literally shown to you in a cinematic during the Ursaluna encounter at Ursa's Ring. Admittedly, I haven't found them all yet on my first play but this is a good start as I have found 3 in Crimson Mirelands already.

After working through a space-time distortion in Crimson Mirelands I decided to wait for one to activate in the Obsidian Fieldlands, too. This gave me some welcome captures including Sneasel, Weavile and an Alpha Sneasel!

For now, I'll focus on my dex before running to the next region.

Captures:
Dartrix, Decidueye, Staraptor, Sylveon, Floatzel, Snorlax, Parasect, Heracross, Gyarados, Budew, Roselia, Carnivine, Tangela, Barboach, Croagunk, Ralts, Yanma, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Pachirisu, Stunky, Skuntank, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Onix, Rhyhorn, Lickilicky, Turtwig, Porygon, Gastly, Haunter, Unown, Sneasel (Johtonian), Weavile

Dex level 10:
Dartrix, Decidueye, Staraptor, Graveler, Stantler, Roselia, Carnivine, Barboach, Hippopotas, Pachirisu, Teddiursa,

Dex 100%:
Shinx

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Part 4

So it's been probably a couple of weeks since I actually picked up the Switch but below is the update that should have been given then.

I started out with a tour of the Crimson Mirelands, picking up a bunch of new Pokemon and exploring areas that I have never been to before. This included running around the perimeter of the Lake and using Decidueye to smack down all of the Graveler that inhabit those parts. I attempted to catch some of the larger alphas and eventually succeeded in getting Torterra and Sliggoo, which was a shiny!!!

Behind the scenes I have been working on the dex completion of the Rowlett line, Rapidash and trying to prepare Stantler for evolution.

I then moved on to the Cobalt Coastlands and completed the story up to the acquisition of Basculegion. This added a bunch of pages to the dex but more importantly I picked up two more shinies! Skorupi and Spheal decided to shine for me within a few minutes of each other :D

Captures:
Luxray, Rapidash, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Raichu, Golduck, Kleavor, Aipom, Qwilfish, Petilil, Whiscash, Toxicroak, Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra, Steelix, Togepi, Torterra, Murkrow, Unown, Spheal, Sealeo, Remoraid, Skorupi, Growlithe, Glameow, Machoke, Chatot, Duskull, Dusclops, Vulpix

Dex level 10:
Wormadam, Paras, Chimchar, Cherubi, Psyduck, Aipom, Magikarp, Carnivine, Petilil, Croagunk, Goomy, Goodra, Onix, Murkrow, Skorupi, Glameow

Dex 100%:
None

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Part 5

It's been a long time since I posted an update but the casual play has continued with the completion of a number of Pokedex entries to 100% and a few more random captures. It still baffles me when a level 10 wild Pokemon does 1/3 damage to a level 40+ but that really doesn't seem to matter too much in this game.

The best surprises of the recent gameplay is the capture of some more shiny Pokemon. Thanks to the sound effect when they enter the edge of your range I was able to pick up a Starly and a Kricketot; without the chime, both of these would have been completely missed!

Captures:
Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Sylveon, Crobat, Wyrdeer, Snorlax, Raichu, Golduck, Vespiquen, Kleavor, Mr. Mime, Qwilfish, Chansey, Budew, Tangela, Whiscash, Toxicroak, Ralts, Yanma, Hippowdon, Stunky, Skuntank, Sliggoo, Steelix, Rhyhorn, Lickitung, Togepi, Togetic, Turtwig, Torterra, Porygon, Gastly, Unown, Spheal, Sealeo, Remoraid, Growlithe, Machoke, Chatot, Duskull, Dusclops, Vulpix, Weavile

Dex level 10:
Rowlett, Dartrix, Decidueye, Staraptor, Luxray, Rapidash, Vaporeon, Flareon, Leafeon, Zubat, Golbat, Drifloon, Drifblim, Kricketune, Floatzel, Wormadam, Mothim, Graveler, Munchlax, Paras, Parasect, Pikachu, Abra, Kadabra, Infernape, Buneary, Lopunny, Cherubi, Cherrim, Psyduck, Combee, Scyther, Heracross, Aipom, Magikarp, Gyarados, Shellos, Gastrodon, Happiny, Roselia, Carnivine, Petilil, Barboach, Croagunk, Hippopotas, Pachirisu, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Goomy, Goodra, Onix, Lickilicky, Haunter, Murkrow, Skorupi, Glameow, Machop, Sneasel (Johtonian)

Dex 100%:
Bidoof, Bibarel, Starly, Staravia, Shinx, Luxio, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Ponyta, Eevee, Kricketot, Buizel, Burmy, Geodude, Stantler, Pichu, Chimchar, Monferno, Mime Jr.

Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Part 6

It has been a while since putting some real time into progressing the storyline so I've thrown myself into that a bit. It's really stark how short the content is in the Coronet Highlands compared to the other regions but I can't say I'm mad about it because Sneasler-style rock climbing gets old fast. The great thing, however, is that I've been able to catch so many new entries for the Pokedex in rapid succession.

Speaking of captures, I'm also finding that some which I expect to be particularly challenging really are not. For example, an alpha Rhyperior taking a single Ultra Ball when sneaking up on it and Bronzongs taking a single Pokeball. Not complaining about it though! Just makes my Pokedex mission easier!

Working on the Pokedex, I noticed that my supply of Water Stones was really high so they got spent on completing the dex for Vaporeon rather than waiting on distortion captures.

Captures:
Espeon, Umbreon, Sylveon, Crobat, Wyrdeer, Raichu, Alakazam, Vespiquen, Kleavor, Ambipom, Qwilfish, Chansey, Tangrowth, Whiscash, Kirlia, Yanmega, Hippowdon, Stunky, Sliggoo, Steelix, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Rhyperior, Togetic, Togekiss, Torterra, Porygon, Unown, Spheal, Sealeo, Growlithe, Duskull, Dusclops, Piplup, Empoleon, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Magby, Magnemite, Magneton, Bronzor, Bronzong, Elekid, Electabuzz, Gligar, Voltorb, Rotom, Chingling, Chimecho, Mismagius, Weavile, Snorunt, Glalie, Bergmite, Abomasnow

Dex level 10:
Rowlett, Dartrix, Decidueye, Staraptor, Luxray, Jolteon, Flareon, Leafeon, Zubat, Golbat, Drifloon, Drifblim, Kricketune, Floatzel, Wormadam, Mothim, Graveler, Munchlax, Snorlax, Paras, Parasect, Pikachu, Abra, Kadabra, Infernape, Lopunny, Cherubi, Cherrim, Golduck, Combee, Scyther, Heracross, Mr. Mime, Aipom, Gyarados, Shellos, Gastrodon, Happiny, Budew, Roselia, Carnivine, Petilil, Tangela, Barboach, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Ralts, Yanma, Hippopotas, Pachirisu, Skuntank, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Goomy, Goodra, Onix, Lickitung, Lickilicky, Togepi, Turtwig, Gastly, Haunter, Murkrow, Walrein, Remoraid, Octillery, Skorupi, Glameow, Machop, Machoke, Chatot, Mantyke, Mantine, Vulpix, Finneon, Magmar, Gible, Gabite, Nosepass, Misdreavus, Sneasel (Johtonian), Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine

Dex 100%:
Bidoof, Bibarel, Starly, Staravia, Shinx, Luxio, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Ponyta, Rapidash, Eevee, Vaporeon, Kricketot, Buizel, Burmy, Geodude, Stantler, Pichu, Chimchar, Monferno, Buneary, Psyduck, Mime Jr., Magikarp

Back