• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Help Changing Pokemon Sprites

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2023
    Hello all,

I've been wanting to create a rom hack where I add pokemon from newer gens to a Pokemon Emerald ROM, but I have been struggling to change the sprites of the Pokemon. Whenever I try to, the back sprites of the Pokemon work perfectly fine, but the front sprites are all wacky. I've been using Pokemon Game Editor in order to do this, but I have not been finding success, and am not sure on what to do. I've been trying to edit the Murkrow Sprite to Mismagius, and the result that I'm getting is attached. The front sprite just looks like Murkrow with a palate swap.

Attachments

• mis.JPG
      mis.JPG
      116.5 KB · Views: 17

ScripNewbie

Mystc Creator
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2023
    Hello all,

I've been wanting to create a rom hack where I add pokemon from newer gens to a Pokemon Emerald ROM, but I have been struggling to change the sprites of the Pokemon. Whenever I try to, the back sprites of the Pokemon work perfectly fine, but the front sprites are all wacky. I've been using Pokemon Game Editor in order to do this, but I have not been finding success, and am not sure on what to do. I've been trying to edit the Murkrow Sprite to Mismagius, and the result that I'm getting is attached. The front sprite just looks like Murkrow with a palate swap.

You need to find the table of pokemon Front and back sprite, shiny and palette table on all of this. And repoint it, if you don't want,then try repointing the front sprite pointer (or what looks like wacky to your hack) to your new front sprite image, the wackiness is maybe caused by larged image or something.. example the murkrow front sprite image is in 0x3DD1c8(just an example)
    Find the reverse offset on that c8d13d08(add 08 because it's a pointer)
    And replace it on your new reverse offset where your new front sprite image is placed. Example you put the image in 800000, then replace c8d13d08 with 00008008(reverse offset of 800000).
    For the palette just to do the same, or edit in ape. Your choice.

I'm not a emerald hacker so I don't know any offset on emerald but,
    If you want to add Pokemon from newer gens Don't replace the other(well you can It's up to you), but go to the free slot, well if don't have any free slot, try to expand the table of pokemon of course you need to expand the pokedex too, for seen and caught flag etc.
    Like i said I'm not emerald hacker so I don't know the offset or any asm to expand pokedex flag

Last edited:
    Back