• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question About ROM Size

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    So is there a limit to how much I can add to a firered rom? Like if I double to size of every map and give every trainer 6 pokemon hypothetically, am I going to run out of space or will the compiler handle this issue for me?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So is there a limit to how much I can add to a firered rom? Like if I double to size of every map and give every trainer 6 pokemon hypothetically, am I going to run out of space or will the compiler handle this issue for me?

Rom size is normally limited to 32 megabytes. Maps and trainers don't use a whole lot of space so you would need to add a LOT of those before you would even get close to running out of space. Audio and graphics is what usually takes the most space.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2024
    So if I am not adding any sounds or graphics, I will be fine? What will the error be if the rom does end up being to large?

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2023
    This is the reason for the 32MB limit:
    08000000-09FFFFFF Game Pak ROM/FlashROM (max 32MB) - Wait State 0
    0A000000-0BFFFFFF Game Pak ROM/FlashROM (max 32MB) - Wait State 1
    0C000000-0DFFFFFF Game Pak ROM/FlashROM (max 32MB) - Wait State 2
    0E000000-0E00FFFF Game Pak SRAM (max 64 KBytes) - 8bit Bus width

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So if I am not adding any sounds or graphics, I will be fine? What will the error be if the rom does end up being to large?
    You will be fine as long as your changes don't add more than ~23 megabytes of new data to the rom, regardless of what that data actually is. So you could run out of space even without adding new graphics or music, but it is a lot less likely.

Even if you do add graphics and music, it's still not very likely that you would run out of space. And that's why you shouldn't really have to worry about rom space, unless your compiled rom is starting to get close to 32mb in size.
    I'm not sure what error you would get if that did happen, but you would likely run into something like this way before that, luckily it can be fixed easily.

Last edited:
    Back