• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should there have been more competitions like the Whirl Cup during the Johto Series?

Should there have been more competitions like the Whirl Cup during the Johto Series?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I think that more competitions in Johto can not only help Misty, but it can help Ash's Johto pokemon as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Ash's Johto Pokemon were still pretty good, despite there not being a lot of competitions during Johto. Should there have been more competitions during Johto, i would have to say yes there should have been more, but Johto was still a great series of the anime, despite it not having a lot of battle competitions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Ash's Johto Pokemon were still pretty good, despite there not being a lot of competitions during Johto. Should there have been more competitions during Johto, i would have to say yes there should have been more, but Johto was still a great series of the anime, despite it not having a lot of battle competitions.

Well they are good but I think that Ash used his Kanto and OI pokemon way too much in Johto.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Well they are good but I think that Ash used his Kanto and OI pokemon way too much in Johto.

Johto was meant to be sequel to Kanto, so it did make a lot of sense to see a lot of Kanto Pokemon in Johto. Besides his Kanto Pokemon didn't stay with him very long in Johto, Charizard was the first one to leave his Kanto team, so it didn't stay with him very long during Johto but he did call on it for major battles later on, Squirtle also left his team to return to the Squirtle Squad, the only Kanto Pokemon he did have left in Johto besides his Johto Pokemon were Pikachu and Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur did left and got Oak later on in Johto, so the only Kanto Pokemon Ash did have on his Johto team was Pikachu since he is Ash's very first main starter Pokemon and mascot of the entire anime, we know he was going to remain with Ash.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Johto was meant to be sequel to Kanto, so it did make a lot of sense to see a lot of Kanto Pokemon in Johto. Besides his Kanto Pokemon didn't stay with him very long in Johto, Charizard was the first one to leave his Kanto team, so it didn't stay with him very long during Johto but he did call on it for major battles later on, Squirtle also left his team to return to the Squirtle Squad, the only Kanto Pokemon he did have left in Johto besides his Johto Pokemon were Pikachu and Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur did left and got Oak later on in Johto, so the only Kanto Pokemon Ash did have on his Johto team was Pikachu since he is Ash's very first main starter Pokemon and mascot of the entire anime, we know he was going to remain with Ash.

Ok then, but do you think that Johto having more competitions will help Ash and Misty?
    And maybe Brock..

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Sure, it would have helped. Heck, they would have even allowed Misty to actually stay on as well if we were to have Hoenn onward.

Of course, we'd need to worry more about whether there'd be more Breeding competitions to make sure Brock had more use. Misty at least got more focus than Brock in that area. Heck, her goal actually was far more defined than Ash's goal when you get right down to it.

And personally, I would have taken those rather than Contests in Hoenn and Sinnoh, or Showcases in Kalos.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Ok then, but do you think that Johto having more competitions will help Ash and Misty?
    And maybe Brock..

I'm sure more competitions in Johto would have given Ash, Misty and Brock even more character development. Ash/Misty/Brock did got some good focus in Johto, more tournaments would have been perfectly fine since it would have developed the characters goals even further.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yeah. My favorite part of Johto was the Whirl Cup and League. I would have loved to have seen more. I didn't like Johto for the most part and honestly, it is almost the worst series to me. Mainly because it was so boring. I love Johto, but god I wish they had more episodes like the Whirl Cup Arc.

I love tournaments in general. I always love shows and animes with them in it. This is one of the main reason I love Unova so much, because of all the tournaments.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2017
    Even if they had more competitions, Misty would only participate if it was water based and how many water based competitions could you make? Anything else would be solely for Ash as Brock would not even participate.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Even if they had more competitions, Misty would only participate if it was water based and how many water based competitions could you make? Anything else would be solely for Ash as Brock would not even participate.

If they can expand Contests to be a full fledged goal when originally they were a forgettable sidequest, they most certainly can add stuff in relating to Water Pokemon competitions. And don't underestimate Brock, he's participated in a few competitions himself.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2017
    Not underestimating Brock but I'm just going with how the writers portrayed him and his characteristics. If they made Misty's water tournaments Contest/Performance like then maybe it would have worked but seeing as they didn't have any ideas like that back then it would not have made sense.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Not underestimating Brock but I'm just going with how the writers portrayed him and his characteristics. If they made Misty's water tournaments Contest/Performance like then maybe it would have worked but seeing as they didn't have any ideas like that back then it would not have made sense.

Seriously? I could name a whole lot of ways the writers could make it work, and I've often been called an idiot on various forums and certain IP users on wikis. If even a so-called idiot could come up with loads of ways they can utilize her goal and give it focus, why can't the writers?

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2017
    Seriously? I could name a whole lot of ways the writers could make it work, and I've often been called an idiot on various forums and certain IP users on wikis. If even a so-called idiot could come up with loads of ways they can utilize her goal and give it focus, why can't the writers?

Don't mistake me, her goal and it's growth itself is pretty easy to put across on screen but the writers did not seem to have more ideas for her or simply did not care. I want all the characters to have good growth but back then they did not care as much. Even now they pick and choose who they want to push.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well in a way it can help them if the tournaments are balance to the three of them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Johto was still an really great series, even though it only had an few competitions. More competitions would have been good for all three of the main characters.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    To be honest i thought the whirl islands cup was pointless in my opinion. I think Ash should concentrate on the pokemon league and not these irrelevant competitions in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The thread does not mention misty. Just if there could be other competitions like whirl islands. And i know that misty was the focus of the whirl islands cup.

Use common sense, if the thread deals with the Whirl Islands competition or similar competitions, it deals with Misty since those deal directly with her goal. And besides, Kisara specifically mentioned Misty in her opening post and how it would really improve upon her goal to a large extent.

Back