• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] i am lost trying to make the story of my fan game, pls i need your help with example and advices.

Canal_do_Lontra

Oshawott uses Razor Shell
Years
  • Hello guys, i am developing a fan game that will have lot of fakemons to find, catch, train and battle together with original mons up to gen 7(we won't have legends and gen 8),
    but i am out of idea in how to start and make the story, i don't know guys how to make a story and other things, can you help me with examples and advices pls?

Years
  • There's some pretty good articles about story writing in fangames. I'd recommend taking a look at some of these:
    - https://reliccastle.com/threads/1150/
    - https://reliccastle.com/threads/2761/

The first is an article which gives some starting ideas to think about! The second is a discussion post, which yielded some fantastic community answers, so you can get a sense of how other people write!

I'll leave some questions to consider:

Is there a major theme you want to focus on? What is it? How does it tie into a world? Is there a current Pokemon that fits the theme? Could you design a fakemon to match that theme?

How does the antagonist fit into or oppose the theme? What about the protagonist? How does the region fit into play? Are there gyms? Something new?

What are some fun moments you'd like to explore in a Pokemon game? (Literally this could be anything: a goofy Pokemon chase, a spy-esque break-in mission, or anything else!)

Is there a piece of literature or media that inspires you? Something you just love? Try examining elements from that!

Hopefully this helps a bit! Good luck writing your fan game!

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
  • There's some pretty good articles about story writing in fangames. I'd recommend taking a look at some of these:
    - https://reliccastle.com/threads/1150/
    - https://reliccastle.com/threads/2761/

The first is an article which gives some starting ideas to think about! The second is a discussion post, which yielded some fantastic community answers, so you can get a sense of how other people write!

I'll leave some questions to consider:

Is there a major theme you want to focus on? What is it? How does it tie into a world? Is there a current Pokemon that fits the theme? Could you design a fakemon to match that theme?

How does the antagonist fit into or oppose the theme? What about the protagonist? How does the region fit into play? Are there gyms? Something new?

What are some fun moments you'd like to explore in a Pokemon game? (Literally this could be anything: a goofy Pokemon chase, a spy-esque break-in mission, or anything else!)

Is there a piece of literature or media that inspires you? Something you just love? Try examining elements from that!

Hopefully this helps a bit! Good luck writing your fan game!

thank you mew the mega, i will try to get some good story with these links, thanks

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2023
    I think there are many different taktiks to create a story. I creating a fan game on my own and i started by adding something from an other Pokemon Game and used it in a new Version. Then i already had one major plot in my mind that connekted with it. After that i just use most of the old formular of pokemon. The funny and goofy part can always be added somewere (but they sould still be planned and good).

For example with my idea: In my Game the Protagonist goes to a modefied Version of the Trainer school: Trainer Akademie! (i used this Original idea from Pokemon Ranger were the Prot. also goes to school first). My Game has 2 Evil Teams. The one is pure Evil the other has good reasons but also doing crimes. After the School life the player starts the normal Gym Challange. The School is not only a kinda old idea in a new light, it also sets the stage for future plots in the story and im using the school to make skipable Classes were the player learns about the:
    1. the normal Pokemon stuff (for beginners)
    2. About the new Typ chanches that im doing for Balancing the Typs a bit.

If you stilll dont now about a Story, a other tipp would be that you choose a legendary or mythical and then you creat a story about that pokemon. The Fan Game Pokemon Nimbus is a good and simple example for that.

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
  • I think there are many different taktiks to create a story. I creating a fan game on my own and i started by adding something from an other Pokemon Game and used it in a new Version. Then i already had one major plot in my mind that connekted with it. After that i just use most of the old formular of pokemon. The funny and goofy part can always be added somewere (but they sould still be planned and good).

For example with my idea: In my Game the Protagonist goes to a modefied Version of the Trainer school: Trainer Akademie! (i used this Original idea from Pokemon Ranger were the Prot. also goes to school first). My Game has 2 Evil Teams. The one is pure Evil the other has good reasons but also doing crimes. After the School life the player starts the normal Gym Challange. The School is not only a kinda old idea in a new light, it also sets the stage for future plots in the story and im using the school to make skipable Classes were the player learns about the:
    1. the normal Pokemon stuff (for beginners)
    2. About the new Typ chanches that im doing for Balancing the Typs a bit.

If you stilll dont now about a Story, a other tipp would be that you choose a legendary or mythical and then you creat a story about that pokemon. The Fan Game Pokemon Nimbus is a good and simple example for that.

hello buddy, thanks a lot with advices and examples, it will help me a lot, thanks guys, when i get some parts of my story i will show you how it is to see if you like it or not, thanks a lot guys.

Back