• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Online Play

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • So I didn't really see this question anywhere and didn't really find a thread to put it in. Everyone is talking about the new pokemon, the dex ect. But what about online play?

There is a lot they can do with online Wild Area, but my question is this.

Has it been confirmed that Wild Area is actual online play with random people or is it like friends only or something? They haven't spoken much about the multiplier features that I am aware of. I would love to have a choice to see other players or not.

I know they recent said that if we are in the Wild Area at a certain time, it would give us a chance to get rarer pokemon at a more common rate, which gives me some hope that it is actual online play.

Years
    • Age 33
    • uk
    • Seen Jun 2, 2021
    I think it is online people as I was watching a video of someone in the wild area and people were running around, also you can also do raid battles with up to 4 people and that is also in the wild area as well

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think it is online people as I was watching a video of someone in the wild area and people were running around, also you can also do raid battles with up to 4 people and that is also in the wild area as well

Aye thanks. I know I've seen things with people running around, it is just hard to tell if they are supposed to be online or just people nearby. One concern is that we wouldn't be able to do raid battles if we didn't have people near us, so I was hoping it would be true online play.

As for what they could do. They could do so much if they didn't restricted themselves to what is already in the games. They could have events, allow us to unlock special clothing for different holidays. Or really anything like that.

I really hope they do this in the future, but it is doubtful.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    The raid battles are definitely interesting since it's totally new to Pokémon. I'm not expecting too much because Nintendo has always had somewhat subpar online play in general, but it's at least a good start.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • So just to post. From what I have seen, you don't see other trainers in the Wild Area. It is vastly open with not much in it. A lot of the same pokemon.

It seems like the only players you will see in the Wild Area are people you are friends with. So once again, it isn't real internet play from what I have seen so far.

Back