• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle✓] Changing Battle Speed

Years
  • Recently, I was playing Pokemon White and I realized just how quickly that game moves in battles. It's so refreshing, especially compared to Emerald. Does anybody know how to speed some things up to make Emerald quicker (i.e. text speed, wait time between new text strings in battle, etc.) I tried changing the TEXT_SPEED_FAST variable in menu.c from 1 to 0 or .5, but that causes the text to advance without pressing the A-button. Then I tried copying from Enhanced Emerald's INSTANT speed, but that only made it so that text displayed when the A-button was held down. If anybody has any ideas on how to speed up battles, let me know.

P.S. I already sped up HP bars, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yes, kinda. Essentially, in the battle scripts (data/battle_scripts_1), there are "pause" and "waitmessage" commands that give the game its pacing. In my game, I changed the inputs to all these functions to 1, the smallest value that isn't 0 (because I don't know if that would cause weirdness). Then, in the actual text of battles (src/battle_message.c), I made all the text have a command where you have to press a button to continue instead of you waiting for the text to clear on its own. In practice, battles now take as fast or as slow as you want them to.

If you want to look at my code, download the source code of my hack and look at these files there.

Back