• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The AAAAAAAAA Challenge (A Button Only!)

Years
Hey everyone,

With the common consensus being that modern pokemon games are "braindead easy" due to permanent, party-wide experience share and infinite use TMs, I thought I'd try to see if you could clear one of the older games by literally mashing the A button throughout the entire game.

The only hard and fast rule of the challenge is that from the moment a battle starts until you return to the overworld, you can ONLY use the A button. That means no directional inputs, either!

This actually ends up restricting tons of basic actions that you might not assume would be off-limits; despite the fact that your strategy in battle is as simple as can be (mash A lol), there's a lot of planning outside of battle needed to ensure you don't softlock yourself.

I'd welcome you to try a run yourself to discover these restrictions, but as an example I'll post a video of a full A button only run I did in Pokemon Green, along with a full write up of the restrictions hidden by spoiler tags. See if you can figure them all out without peeking!
(And there is a reason I chose Green instead of Red/Blue, but it only comes into play during the Elite 4)

Full example/walkthrough of the challenge!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back