• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] Defining a trigger based on steps

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2018
    So my idea is to make an event in game that after you talk to someone it counts steps from that point on and then when you talk to them again it checks that number. If it is above a certain value it does something but if it's below the value the event either tells you to come back later or does something else. I know that eggs and the daycare can track steps but is there any way to use this as a trigger for regular events? Any help is appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2018
    To clarify it would be a kind of cloning styled event to add into the game. Kind of like the fossil revival but you would select a Pokemon from your party, then have to wait a certain amount of time(determined by an either set amount or randomly generated number of steps), then when you go back to the guy who is cloning your Pokemon he would present you with an egg that will hatch into the Pokemon that you had chosen from your party. But following egg rules would be the base form of your chosen pokemons evolution. Or possibly hatching into the same Pokemon you had chosen. Charizard for example would if chosen generate an egg that hatched into a charizard instead of charmander. I'm somewhat familiar with egg defining(making the hatched Pokemon know certain moves or be shiny) but I'm having trouble figuring out how the game can trigger the event based on steps.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    To clarify it would be a kind of cloning styled event to add into the game. Kind of like the fossil revival but you would select a Pokemon from your party, then have to wait a certain amount of time(determined by an either set amount or randomly generated number of steps), then when you go back to the guy who is cloning your Pokemon he would present you with an egg that will hatch into the Pokemon that you had chosen from your party. But following egg rules would be the base form of your chosen pokemons evolution. Or possibly hatching into the same Pokemon you had chosen. Charizard for example would if chosen generate an egg that hatched into a charizard instead of charmander. I'm somewhat familiar with egg defining(making the hatched Pokemon know certain moves or be shiny) but I'm having trouble figuring out how the game can trigger the event based on steps.
    I?m pretty sure the steps are already stored in one of the variables. Not sure which one exactly though because it might not be named after the steps, but you can also go into the variables in the game in debug mode and look at what numbers they?re set to. If you see one that?s increasing with the number of steps you take then that?s the right one.
    The rest is pretty standard event editing from there. Just go into your event and make a conditional branch where it checks your steps variable to be above a certain number. If it is then you get the pokemon if not the npc tells them to come back later. You may also want something beforehand to set the steps variable back to 0 if you?re trying to count from there. Otherwise the player could already exceed the needed steps and just get the pokemon without any extra steps.

Back