• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Suggestion needed

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    So I recently bought a new 2ds xl and im looking to buy my first pokemon game but i cant decide between 3 games

1) Pokemon ORAS
    2) Pokemon X/Y/Z
    3) Pokemon Sun/Moon
    4) Wait for Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon

I want a game which lasts long and has a good story/villian team with good pokemons.

Thanks

Last edited:

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • All of the games will last pretty much the same amount of time, at least in my experience, barring SM cause I spent a lot of time catching pokemon and trying out the new features since it was the first game i was able to hook up to the internet xD

In terms of villains/story, I'd rate your choices this way: (Excluding USUM since it hasnt come out)
    1. ORAS
    2. Sun/Moon
    3. XY (Z doesn't exist fyi)

In terms of Pokemon, i'd rate them:
    1. XY
    2. SM
    3. ORAS

In terms of learning how to play:

1. SM
    2. ORAS
    3. XY

Keep in mind these rankings are just my own opinion, I know plenty of people who love the ORAS pokemon. In all honesty though, you'll probably like whichever game you choose cause it is your first, so it'll always be special to you, just like Crystal is to me!

Whichever one you end up choosing, I'd love to hear about your experience in an adventure log thread for the game.

Good luck with your decision and I'm happy to go more in-depth on each of the games if you have any questions!

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    I'd keep it between Oras and SuMo and take out X/Y tbh ...
    While X/Y did get me back into pok?mon (games), for me it's one of the games I rarely turn on anymore. I often spent my time on OrAs but for continuation, new pok?mon, etc I obviously go with the latest game which is SuMo and am getting ultra moon in november.

I have most fun with OrAs because I feel as if it has more to offer than any other game. With contests, secret bases, etc. A lot to collect, a lot to do and a lot to share :D

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I personally preferred ORAS the best of the lot, and I'm not fully in the loop on whether USUM is a continuation of SM or a alt-universe, but if it's an alt-universe I would say there's no need to buy SM with USUM so close around the corner. Do not bother with XY.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Great story and post game should pick OR/AS though it isn't easy thing, though you want to learn about mega evolution should pick XY beware how easy the league is and gym leaders and elite four are easy 1-hit KO and no pushover, but it's not recommended due to being easy and horrible storyline. Tired of badges and HMS all the time, venture to alola then choose SM or U/SM if you like to skip a head (you get z-crystals which one-time move that do whooping damage, stamps and passports are a thing in alola also talking rotom pokedex!)

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    So its between oras and sm. The only prob for me with oras is that the pokemon are old and the same. Sm has a lot to offer with mega evs (i think?). Otherwise oras has a great story line with great teams and legendarys, so id appreciate a last opinion. Thanks

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • So its between oras and sm. The only prob for me with oras is that the pokemon are old and the same. Sm has a lot to offer with mega evs (i think?). Otherwise oras has a great story line with great teams and legendarys, so id appreciate a last opinion. Thanks
    Wrong about the Mega Evos part. SM only has Mega Evolutions in the post-game, and they're only the same ones from ORAS. If you want a focus on Mega Evolutions go for ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Nevermind, i downloaded the rom for oras and its working, so ill go with sm most probably or ill wait for ultra sm if its not a sequel. Anyways, can you tell me if oras has some features that isnt possible in roms?

Back