• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are the GBC gens so ignored?

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
  • You can do anything anytime without tools too. I fail to see the point you're trying to make. If people can't change one line of plain text in a file then I don't think we're really gonna miss much from them. I highly doubt that they'd be capable of making anything worth playing with or without tools

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The tools are Cygwin, rgbds, and Notepad. Seriously. Anyone who can succesfully use a bunch of ad-hoc tools that make black-box changes to a ROM, let alone understand those changes via hex editing, can get the rgbds assembler to work. And it even has a cutting-edge interface inspired by Google and Cortana, where instead of picking things from long dropdown lists, you type their names instead. Much more user-friendly. ;)

I'll admit that data can be scattered across lots of different files, and it's not always clear if you've updated them all. But the community is quite helpful with that: Pia Carrot wrote an intro guide to common tasks, and Skeetendo is focused on Gen 2 hacking (I've written up how to add new moves, maps, and NPCs).

(Another advantage of assembly: it's all text. If you don't already have a pretty thorough understanding of ARM machine code, you'll depend on pre-made tools and patches for editing Gen 3 games, without really understanding how they do what they do. But with assembly code, you can learn by reading it, and add completely original features on your own.)

Last edited:
    Back