• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Help

Years
  • Age 120
  • Seen Feb 9, 2022
I'd like to find an engine to make Pokemon games for free (the game(s) will most likely be used personally, rather than being posted online). Does anybody have some answers? I know RPG Maker XP is used a lot, however, I'm not able to spend £25 on a non-profit fangame. I know that RPG Maker VX Ace Lite exists, but I'd rather not use Steam. If anyone has some advice, please tell me! If none of it it compatible to me, I'm gonna have to either scrap the idea, use Ren'py, or build it in Minecraft.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
You could consider making a ROM hack (either binary, or decomp, depending on how comfortable you are with C, I guess).

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
Or use RPG MAKER XP for free during 30 days and wait until a better price appears (in PC Discord people share when the program has a good price like $5 or $8).

Years
  • Age 120
  • Seen Feb 9, 2022
Or use RPG MAKER XP for free during 30 days and wait until a better price appears (in PC Discord people share when the program has a good price like $5 or $8).

I probably should. Or, I could just not buy the Octo Expansion for Splatoon and get RPG Maker instead.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 120
  • Seen Feb 9, 2022
Hm. Legally speaking, you're not allowed to have a copy of a ROM that you don't own a physical copy of. It's up to you whether you think anyone will check.

I'm not going to do something that's illegal. I mean, I could buy another game but it's a little too expensive, and at that point, I could just buy RPG Maker, or something like that.

Back