• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: behaviour and background bytes.

jakerman999

looking for spriters
Years
  • this is my attempt to log all the different kind of bytes that are found in the tile editor of advance map. for this "experiment" I shall be using Fire Red [E] with advance map 1.82, because that is the most recent version that works on linux.

here we go.

behaviour byte:

Spoiler:

§must have background byte set to 01

all others do nothing, create problems, or need a requirement that I didn't test.

background byte:
    Spoiler:

couldn't find where the others are used in the rom.

all this came from looking at the cause of tile errors in the shiny gold project(made by zel, so credit him) and will help me when I get around to making my hack.

if anybody would like to contribute, feel free, you will be given credit, and I'll update this as much as possible. the next thing I'm working on is checking these values with Leaf Green to see if they hold true, and then I'll post my findings here.
    after that, I'll look at RSE and see how they compare.

hope this helps anyone else who had problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
    Years
  • Good work!
    It will help many people.

background byte:
    Spoiler:

Ah,the background byte 01 its for grass wildbattles(in A-map).
    Greets.

jakerman999

looking for spriters
    Years
  • Good work!
    It will help many people.

background byte:
    Spoiler:

Ah,the background byte 01 its for grass wildbattles(in A-map).
    Greets.

does fire red have other kinds of grass tiles? as far as I can think of large grass tiles aren't in there. I'll import a tileset to check it though.

edit:yeah, aparently you can't encounter in grass without that byte present, so you get credit, and the main list has been updated.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2014
    Nice. Will need this. However, I have a question.
    If I want a the hero to be able to walk over a bridge, but also under it, is there any background bytes that allows this to happen?
    Example:
    Spoiler:

Nevermind. Solved by adding 08 00 as behaviour byte on the bridge, as well as adding movement permission 10 on the step before the bridge.
    If any mod sees this, please delete my post, sorry for the hassle. Unless it is preferable to leave it in here if anyone else have the same question I had.

Last edited:
    Back