• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] What's wrong with this script?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    So I've been getting into coding and figured a good way to start is by developing a rom hack. I get the basics of XSE and so far I've been able to make simple dialogue boxes and whatnot, but as I moved on to the more advanced stuff things got a little funky.

I figured I might as well throw in a guy who gives you a Chikorita to test my scripting capabilities. The thing is, XSE keeps giving me the "no #org/#seek directives found" error when I try to compile it.

Spoiler:

Anyone know what's up? I'd appreciate as much advice as possible as I'm a slow learner when it comes to this complicated stuff.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • So I've been getting into coding and figured a good way to start is by developing a rom hack. I get the basics of XSE and so far I've been able to make simple dialogue boxes and whatnot, but as I moved on to the more advanced stuff things got a little funky.

I figured I might as well throw in a guy who gives you a Chikorita to test my scripting capabilities. The thing is, XSE keeps giving me the "no #org/#seek directives found" error when I try to compile it.

Spoiler:

Anyone know what's up? I'd appreciate as much advice as possible as I'm a slow learner when it comes to this complicated stuff.

Your script has quite a few commands that don't exist in XSE or are being used incorrectly. Here's a version of your script that should work with some comments to indicate why something has been changed. Also, make sure that you're using XSE v1.1.1 as 1.0.0 is pretty buggy if you're just starting to learn how script. If you're unsure about a XSE command you can check out diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial or search the command list by pressing F1 in XSE.

Spoiler:

Good luck in your scripting/ coding journey!

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    Just a side note, but ROM hacking is not a good way to learn coding if you are just dipping your feet in for the first time. Hell, I've been coding since I was 10 and I still barely understand how Pokemon hacking works. I would maybe suggest trying Javascript or Python instead?

But if hacking works for you then welcome to poke community! :)

Back