• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Engine] [Project] PokéJS Engine - Next Generation and Full-Featured Cross-Platform Pokémon-based Javascript Engine

iv0

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    PokéJS Engine

The idea and overview
    (Sorry, I am brazilian and not fluent with english, so don't care about my grammar errors)
    I am ambitious game developer and programmer, and I have a lot of plans, ideas and projects about Pokémon game developing community. I'm my most ambitious and deep desire about Pokémon fan games dev is creating a Pokémon-based engine that will make Pokémon rom hacking obsolete. For me, people plays rom hacks because it's runs on mobile, and that's why RPG Maker Pokémon games isn't cooler.

The problem

Creating Pokémon fangames are really fun, but there a lot of problems if you want to do a custom feature in your rom hack game, use assembly is very hard and incovenient and somethings like put a new sprite in the rom is not easy and need a lot of work to do a relative simple thing (without counting the sprite dimensions, file size and pallet limitations). Using Pokémon essentials with RPG Maker is more cooler and easy, but the game only works in windows... We live in the smartphones era and that's a crap.

The solution

Current I'm developing a Pokémon-based MMORPG called Monster Valle with PhaserJS and Node.js and I decided to abstract the game source and create a framework/engine on top of my game and share with the dev community. I am doing the most flexible, customizable, dynamic and non-programmers friendly Pokémon-based engine that I can, and it's working very well.
    PhaserJS is the most complete and powefull generalist JavaScript game framework for 2D games, and you can use the full power of PhaserJS in PokéJS Engine.

# Features

- Fully Pokémon Rom Hacking based

The engine API have a lot of features based on Rom Hacking Scripting, all Engine Editing Tools and GUI are based on existent Pokémon Rom Hacking Tools.

- Cross platform

Your game can run on Web, Desktop and Mobile. This is the power of HTML5 and it's that's why JS rules!

- Don't know how to code? No problem!

The game engine have it own scriting module which allows you to develop with intuitive JSON Scripts or Visual Language Scripting. And the best part: it's completed based on XSE Scripting Tool!

- Automated Level/Map Template

The engine itself provide a layout for customize the maps and objects&events inside of them with a dynamic and flexible JSON Template Scripting, you can configure with raw code or visual Level Manager Tool. You can extend the specific Level (map) class in programming and do custom events/NPC's/mechanics in your Level with advanced coding.

- Advanced Programming and Full Customizable Game

The PokéJS Engine run on top of PhaserJS framework and it allows you to access the Phaser API directly if you want. The Engine API allows you to do a raw scene from scratch or extend and customize the native engine scenes and levels (maps) and customize with your own advanced coding and custom scriptings, puting custom NPCs, events, items, interfaces, routines, mechanics, features and whatever you want, if you want to create some new feature mixing Engine API with Phaser API you can do it, like adding a simple sprite, text, making a tween, tilesprite, tilemap, 2d physics, personal data and etc.

- Game Database

The Pokémon stats, items, trainers, gyms badges, Pokédex, moves, Pokémon locations, Pokémon rarities, initial Pokémon, player initial infos (map, position, money, items...) and etc is full editable with nice visual interfaces.

- Battle

To do a custom advanced battle moves, animation/sprites/particles/shaders effects, weather, special conditions/effects moves and etc unfortunally you need a good programming skills, but to create some kinds of moves you can costumize with easy scripting.

- Plugins

The Engine have an online Plugin Store and you can create and share with community, including sold them if you want.

- MMORPG?

And the most important thing (I know, it stay on top of your mind while reading this article for all the time).
    With stable and high scalable server we will sold a compiled and closed source Node.JS game server with differents plans that you can customize and adapt the server with scripting and database editing. In the premium plan you are enabled to extend, customize and create the Engine Core classes to do your own MMORPG feature/mechanics. And in the master plan you can contract a full developer team to support and develop your own MMORPG.

No preview?
    You can see my game here: https://ivopc.github.io/monster-valle/gallery.html#video
    So, ok, it's old prints/videos and my game have a lot of changes now, but you can see the base.

Future plans
    PhaserJS have a community 3d module, and it's is very interesting to make a engine superset to do games like Pokémon DPPt, HGSS and BW/BW2.

Last edited:
    Back