• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Advance Trainer Help - RIVAL NAME

Years
  • Hey guys, sorry for all the asks over the last week, the community response has been great so thanks everyone xx

My primary question, when editing trainer info in Advance Trainer, how do I make it so that the trainers name appears as the name chosen for the rival at the start?

A couple of smaller queries; I was going to use individual flags for each starter to determine which rival team you fight each time, is there an easier way to do this, and does anyone have a link to information surrounding what the AI level value (unknown value) does for each value in Fire Red?

Thanks in advance for your help guys xxx

Bladecraft

It's written "Bladecraft" on my forehead.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2020
    Okay so it's a pretty tough question for me personally since I've never touched that sort of stuff, also as I hack Emerald I don't know much about Fire Red though it seems like your issues could be solved with a tiny bit of personal research.

Question 1:
    In any trainer editing tool, simply check for the rival trainers and the names given to them, that's probably the name needed to achieve your goal.
    Furthermore you may duplicate and edit said trainer for an even easier time.

Question 2:
    Use a variable (var).
    Vars are like flags, that they can be set to a value.
    Unlike flags however, vars can be set to a whole lot more than 0 or 1, rather to like, 4000 or something.
    That means that instead of checking and setting all of those flags you can set a var with the starter number.
    You'll still need to check each individual value for each starter, but it'll save flags, time and headache.
    Here's an example script for a rival battle with 3 starter choices.

Spoiler:

Of course use your own vars and flags for everything, not these specific ones (they might break something if you use them in Fire Red.

If anything of this is gibberish to you, I recommend searching for diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial.
    Even with all of my ROM hacking experience, I still have it open whenever I hack, it's a great source of information.

Question 3:
    Again, just like question 1, look around in your trainer editing tool and see.
    If you look at a strong scary trainer, it's AI level probably indicates that.
    If you look at an early game level 4 Rattata moron, it's probably a "dumb" AI.
    Though I'm not entirely sure it does anything, that's basically the answer.

Hopefully I've been good help.
    Enjoy ROM hacking, and stop hacking Fire Red and hack Emerald because it's better.

If you have more questions I'm usually not around due to schedule issues but feel free to search for me and I'll answer as soon as possible.

Back