• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pokemon browns messed up sprites on gbc

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2011
    i am using a smart cart and i put pokemon brown on it, all the sprites are messed up and it isnt the cartridge all my other games work fine, all the sprites in the game are messed up and have lines going through them, is there any way to fix this?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    It's a known problem. It's due to the fact that the hackers, that made Brown, re-programmed the sprite-loading routine, however, they probably didn't take into account one thing: VRAM (i.e. the gbc hardware area where graphics are loaded) is not accessible all the time (it has a cycle: inaccessible for 59 milliseconds, then accessible for 1.1 millisecond, then again inaccessible for 59 milliseconds, and so on).

So they probably only tested their new code on VBA, which is well known for not emulating the real GB's VRAM inaccessibility, so if you play it on an actual gbc it will show the flaw. If you try to play Brown on BGB, it has a checkbox option where you can choose wheter emulate the VRAM inaccessibility or not. The two results would be the following:

[VRAM inaccessible]
    bgb00002.png

[VRAM accessible]
    bgb00003.png

Also, creators of Brown don't seem to care about correcting this issue so you just have to play it with that problem (if you're using a real GB) or play it on an emulator that doesn't care for VRAM accessibility.

Back