• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] Trick-or-Treating in the Spring?! (Trick-or-Treat Event Challenge Continuation) [Complete!]

Superjolt

Put some [b][color=Red]color[/color][/b] in your l
Years
  • Hello, welcome! Here I will be continuing my run of the Halloween Trick-or-Treat Challenge. Join me as I continue to fight my way out of this spooky cemetery!

The original thread and rules (and delicious looking candy) can be found here

Previous updates:

Part 1
    Spoiler:

Part 2
    Spoiler:

Part 3 (a.k.a. the part where I lose all my friends to Hypnosis ;-; )
    Spoiler:

Part 4 (a.k.a. the part where things get really Dark)
    Spoiler:

And after the Part 4 update, I ended up picking a mysterious black/white berry. This one activated a Global Rule - Scary Move, which forces me to pick another player and play with their rules until the next gym! Now, hmm... which one should I choose...

Last edited:

Superjolt

Years
  • Trick or Treat Challenge Part 5: The less rules the better

So! I decided to go with Eolith's rules for this part (mainly because he had the least rules out of everyone else and I was tired of having such a limited Pokemon selection!)

Now let's take a look at those new rules...

Eolith's rules:
    Too scared to move - Your Pokémon can now only have 3 damaging moves. (Well, this shouldn't be a problem!)
    Nightmares - Teach your Pokémon as many sleep inflicting moves (including self-inflicting) as possible. If you can't teach any of these moves to any of your Pokémon, catch a Pokémon you can teach one of these moves. (Looks like anyone that can learn sleep inflicting moves already knows them!)
    Dracula's apprentice - Any Pokémon that can learn any of the HP-draining moves must learn it as soon as possible and retain it for the remainder of the run. (Well, it doesn't look like I have any Pokemon that can learn any of these moves, except for Sai who I took out of the box for this part, since Sai knows Leech Life. Technically according to this rule Sai should have kept the move for the whole part but I accidentally deleted Leech Life to learn Shadow Sneak instead... oops!)
    Light's End - Fairy, Fire, Psychic, and Electric types, as well as any Pokemon that use bioluminescence, are now banned, unless they also possess the Ghost or Dark types. HM slaves and Pokemon mandated by another curse are exempt from this rule. (This rule is also no problem since I didn't really have any Pokemon that fit this description. I'll be keeping Harriet, who is exempt from this since she's part Dark type.)

Now let's continue!

With Morty defeated, I decided to head west to Route 38. Before that though, I put Sai back on my team to help out with this next stretch. Kept Kiki, Harriet and Lara on my team (and also Sammy but I didn't end up using him). Battled the trainers on Routes 38-39 to level up Sai and Lara and got a phone number from Baoba who will let me know when the Safari Zone opens (neat!)

I made it to Olivine where I ran into that jerk Silver again outside the gym. I heard that the Pokemon at the top of the Lighthouse was sick, but I decided to press forward and come back to the Lighthouse later. A kind fisherman gave me a Good Rod which I put to use immediately in the Olivine waters. I fished up Kammie the Krabby, who promptly joined the team and learned Surf!

I pressed onward to Routes 40 and 41, admiring the beach and the sound of waves. Then I set foot in the water and headed toward Cianwood. It was a relaxing journey (it really was relaxing, I love the Surfing music in HG/SS!) Sai had trouble battling the Swimmers here so Lara and Kiki handled most of the action. Along the way Lara evolved into Haunter!

After landing in Cianwood, I saw Suicune and had a battle with Eusine. Then I headed to the gym. After turning off the waterfall I was able to battle Chuck. Kiki was ready to go after defeating the gym trainers. She took down Chuck's Primeape easily. Chuck's Poliwrath gave her trouble though. After putting her to sleep with Hypnosis and landing a Focus Punch, Kiki was down. Lara stepped in and with a Hypnosis attack of her own followed by Curse, Poliwrath was a goner and Chuck was defeated!

Current Team:

Spr_4h_198_m.png

Kiki ♀ Lv. 31
    - Wing Attack
    - Night Shade
    - Assurance
    - Haze

Spr_4p_229_m.png

Harriet ♀ Lv. 26
    - Smog
    - Roar
    - Bite
    - Odor Sleuth

Spr_4h_167.png

Sai ♂ Lv. 21
    - Poison Sting
    - Leech Life
    - Scary Face
    - Night Shade

Spr_4h_093.png

Lara ♀ Lv. 29
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Punch
    - Payback
    - Curse

Spr_4h_098.png

Kammie ♀ Lv. 20
    - Surf
    - Harden
    - Bubblebeam
    - Mud Shot

Superjolt

Years
  • Trick or Treat Challenge Part 6: The Demon Hippopatas and the Sleeping Houndoom

Well, it's back to my own rules for this part. After Part 5 I decided to take a blue berry and a red berry which also gave me 2 new rules!

Current Rules:

Starter lock hex
    - Your Starter can no longer be used.
    Rectangular Force (GLOBAL RULE) - All Pokémon except Ghost, Dark and Poison-types are banned from now on.
    Ghostly Adventure (GLOBAL RULE) - Catch a Ghost-type (even if you already have one) as soon as possible. It must stay on your team for the rest of the game. It's also your best friend from now on.
    Making Frankenstein (GLOBAL RULE) - Your team must be composed with Pokémon with different primary types if possible from now on.
    Zombieland (GLOBAL RULE) - All of your forcefully boxed Pokémon are revived as zombies. They can only use physical contact moves and are immune to the curse that boxed them. But you can't in any circumstances use them on the same team as your current Pokémon.
    Elm Street Neighbors - Now it's time to learn any of the slashing moves or Dream Eater. Any Pokemon that can must do so as soon as possible, and keep one eligible move for the entire rest of the run.
    Eternal Nightmare - Pokémon that fall asleep must be boxed for the rest of the run.
    No Slot Hex - Max party size is reduced by one.
    Forest's Curse - Grass, Bug, Poison, and Flying types are now banned from your team, unless they also possess the Ghost or Dark types. HM slaves and Pokemon mandated by another curse are exempt from this rule.
    Scary Movie (GLOBAL RULE) - Now this is really tricky curse. You have to pick one other player and play with their rules instead of yours until you beat next Gym.
    (NEW!) Demonic Overlords II - Add one of the following Pokémon to your team as soon as possible and it must stay on your team: Audino, Snorlax, Liepard, Persian, Muk, Trevenant, Hippowdon. If none are available in your game, you must hack one if able. If unable, cry in the corner and lose a party slot for the rest of the run instead.
    (NEW!) Light's End - Fairy, Fire, Psychic, and Electric types, as well as any Pokemon that use bioluminescence, are now banned, unless they also possess the Ghost or Dark types. HM slaves and Pokemon mandated by another curse are exempt from this rule.

With my own rules back in effect, Sai couldn't continue with us so he had to go back in the box. Kammie can't continue with us either (but she's staying in the party for now for Surfing purposes). I'll have to add one Pokemon for this part, and luckily the Light's End rule will have no effect on me!

I thought I had a good plan in mind for this part - I could totally add a Grimer to my team for the Demonic Overlords II rule! Grimer is available in the Safari Zone, but to get there I would have to help the sick Lighthouse Pokemon first. So after teaching Fly to Kiki I headed back to Olivine and prepared to ascend the Lighthouse. Harriet led the way past the Lighthouse trainers (I did wish she had a Fire type move though... luckily she learns Fire Fang at level 32, which will be great for fighting Jasmine!). I finally made it to the top and talked to Jasmine, then I flew back to Cianwood to get the SecretPotion. I hurried back to give the medicine to Jasmine and cured Amphy! After Jasmine returned to her Gym and I departed the Lighthouse I got the call from Baoba that the Safari Zone was now open, so I went back to Cianwood and through the gate to Route 47.

But things didn't go quite as planned... First, Harriet was put to sleep from a Hypnosis from a trainer's Dunsparce so she had to be perma-boxed... Next, when I got to the Safari Zone I forgot that the Marsh section (where Grimer is found) isn't available until you do Baoba's second challenge. I didn't know how long it would be until the second challenge was available so I opted to trade over Haluna the Hippopatas from Platinum instead. This ended up being a good thing though, because with Harriet gone, I now had another Pokemon that would be super effective against Steel types when facing Jasmine. So after teaching Haluna Dig and leveling her up a little, it was time to face Jasmine.

It did take a couple of tries (mainly because Jasmine's Steelix is still a beast). Haluna was able to knock out the first Magnemite in one hit. When Steelix came out Haluna used Yawn to help put it to sleep and then while it was sleeping used Sand Attack to lower its accuracy so it couldn't hit with Iron Tail. Kiki, Lara and Haluna would all help take out Steelix in this battle. Haluna fainted and Lara came in and managed to use Curse on Steelix before getting knocked out, then Kiki came in to take a hit while I used a revive on Haluna. Haluna was able to put Steelix asleep again and even Sitrus Berries and Hyper Potions from Jasmine couldn't stop the inevitable Curse damage from bringing down Steelix in the end. The second Magnemite was a piece of cake and Jasmine was defeated!

Current Team:

Spr_4h_198_m.png

Kiki ♀ Lv. 32
    - Wing Attack
    - Night Shade
    - Assurance
    - Fly

Spr_4h_093.png

Lara ♀ Lv. 30
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Punch
    - Payback
    - Curse

Spr_4p_449_m.png

Haluna ♀ Lv. 28
    - Bite
    - Dig
    - Yawn
    - Sand Attack

I will continue with a red berry and a green berry! Let's see what new rules I get from these...

Superjolt

Years
  • Trick or Treat Challenge Part 7: SCREW YOU HYPNOSIS!

With 2 new berries comes 2 new rules! Let's see what we're dealing with.

Current Rules:

Starter lock hex
    Rectangular Force (GLOBAL RULE) - All Pokémon except Ghost, Dark and Poison-types are banned from now on.
    Ghostly Adventure (GLOBAL RULE) - Catch a Ghost-type (even if you already have one) as soon as possible. It must stay on your team for the rest of the game. It's also your best friend from now on.
    Making Frankenstein (GLOBAL RULE) - Your team must be composed with Pokémon with different primary types if possible from now on.
    Zombieland (GLOBAL RULE) - All of your forcefully boxed Pokémon are revived as zombies. They can only use physical contact moves and are immune to the curse that boxed them. But you can't in any circumstances use them on the same team as your current Pokémon.
    Elm Street Neighbors - Now it's time to learn any of the slashing moves or Dream Eater. Any Pokemon that can must do so as soon as possible, and keep one eligible move for the entire rest of the run.
    Eternal Nightmare - Pokémon that fall asleep must be boxed for the rest of the run.
    Forest's Curse - Grass, Bug, Poison, and Flying types are now banned from your team, unless they also possess the Ghost or Dark types. HM slaves and Pokemon mandated by another curse are exempt from this rule.
    Scary Movie (GLOBAL RULE) - Now this is really tricky curse. You have to pick one other player and play with their rules instead of yours until you beat next Gym.
    Demonic Overlords II - Add one of the following Pokémon to your team as soon as possible and it must stay on your team: Audino, Snorlax, Liepard, Persian, Muk, Trevenant, Hippowdon. If none are available in your game, you must hack one if able. If unable, cry in the corner and lose a party slot for the rest of the run instead.
    Light's End - Fairy, Fire, Psychic, and Electric types, as well as any Pokemon that use bioluminescence, are now banned, unless they also possess the Ghost or Dark types. HM slaves and Pokemon mandated by another curse are exempt from this rule.
    (NEW!) You're a wizard, Harry - You have to put one of the following Pokémon on your team and it must stay there for the rest of the game: Haunter/Gengar, Dusclops/Dusknoir, Banette, Gardevoir, Gallade, Kadabra/Alakazam, Sableye, Grumpig, Solrock, Lunatone, Misdreavus/Mismagius, Gulpin, Relicanth, Dustox, Medicham, Jynx, Chandelure, Reuniclus, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Chimecho <- Pokémon used by Channelers and Hex Maniacs
    (NEW!) Curse of curses - Any Pokémon that can learn Curse must know it for the rest of the game. If your team doesn't have a Pokémon with Curse yet, put a Pokémon that can learn it on your team. It must stay there and know Curse for the rest of the game.

Well, sounds like Lara will be keeping Curse for the rest of the game! For the other new rule I decided to catch an Abra (to eventually become an Alakazam). I went to Route 34 and added Cape the Abra to my team!

I headed to Route 42 and saw Suicune run off near the Apricorn Trees. I took time to level up Cape through switch-training while exploring Mt. Mortar. Soon Cape evolved into Kadabra! I made it to Mahogany Town and headed to Route 43 to check out the strange happenings up at the Lake or Rage. But as I battled the trainers here, a Pokemon put Cape to sleep with Hypnosis! Dammit I just caught him and already have to box him?! Stupid Pokemon knowing Hypnosis... >:(

I ended up going back to catch another Abra, so now Cappi joined the team! Things were going pretty well after this. I evolved Cappi to Kadabra, headed up to Lake or Rage, defeated the shiny Gyarados, met Lance and agreed to help kick Team Rocket out of their hideout. I battled the Grunts and Scientists and then defeated Executive Petrel. And then came the double battle against Executive Ariana... Haluna was up to take her on, but during the battle she got hit by ANOTHER HYPNOSIS ATTACK ARE YOU KIDDING ME WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING! Screw you Hypnosis and the Eternal Nightmare rule! Cappi knocked out all of the Electrode to turn off the transmitter and Lance thanked us and went on his way. Then I went to put Haluna in the box... *sigh*

Before taking on Pryce, I decided to trade Lara over to evolve into Gengar! I also traded a Dusk Stone back so I could use it to evolve Kiki. I got Kiki to level 35 to learn Faint Attack then used the stone to evolve her into Honchkrow! Lara leveled up while fighting the Gym trainers and learned Shadow Ball, so I kept her up front to fight Pryce. Lara took down his Seel and Dewgong easily, and took down his Piloswine with a combo of Hypnosis and Curse!

Current Team:

Spr_4p_430.png

Kiki ♀ Lv. 35
    - Wing Attack
    - Nasty Plot
    - Faint Attack
    - Fly

Spr_4h_094.png

Lara ♀ Lv. 34
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Ball
    - Payback
    - Curse

Spr_4h_064_m.png

Cappi ♂ Lv. 26
    - Confusion
    - Psybeam
    - Disable
    - Miracle Eye

I'll continue by picking another red berry!

Superjolt

Years
  • Trick or Treat Challenge Part 8: Slaying Rockets (and Dragons!)

So, I am happy to report that no one was hit with Hypnosis this time around! I gain one rule from the red berry, and also decided to pick a blue berry to get another rule after defeating Team Rocket at the Radio Tower.

Current Rules:

Starter lock hex
    Demonic Overlords II - Add one of the following Pokémon to your team as soon as possible and it must stay on your team: Audino, Snorlax, Liepard, Persian, Muk, Trevenant, Hippowdon. If none are available in your game, you must hack one if able. If unable, cry in the corner and lose a party slot for the rest of the run instead.
    Light's End - Fairy, Fire, Psychic, and Electric types, as well as any Pokemon that use bioluminescence, are now banned, unless they also possess the Ghost or Dark types. HM slaves and Pokemon mandated by another curse are exempt from this rule.
    You're a wizard, Harry - You have to put one of the following Pokémon on your team and it must stay there for the rest of the game: Haunter/Gengar, Dusclops/Dusknoir, Banette, Gardevoir, Gallade, Kadabra/Alakazam, Sableye, Grumpig, Solrock, Lunatone, Misdreavus/Mismagius, Gulpin, Relicanth, Dustox, Medicham, Jynx, Chandelure, Reuniclus, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Chimecho <- Pokémon used by Channelers and Hex Maniacs
    Curse of curses - Any Pokémon that can learn Curse must know it for the rest of the game. If your team doesn't have a Pokémon with Curse yet, put a Pokémon that can learn it on your team. It must stay there and know Curse for the rest of the game.
    (NEW!) The Thing - Catch a Ditto, Grimer, Muk, or any of the Goomey line and permanently put it on your team. Plus one Pokémon of your choice is assimilated and must be perma-boxed.
    (NEW!) EXP Zero - The EXP Share and Lucky Egg are now banned.

With the new The Thing rule, I said goodbye to Cappi as he was assimilated and put him in the box. I headed to the Safari Zone to catch a Grimer to go along with the rule because I was now able to finish Baoba's second challenge. Slink the Grimer was added to the team!

Next it was time to go see what was happening at the Radio Tower. After leveling Slink up a bit, we were on our way. I went to the Goldenrod Underground to pick up my Rocket uniform disguise and used it to get past the guard, then went about the Radio Tower beating up grunts left and right. After defeating Petrel it was back to the Underground to unlock the basement and find the Director. But before I could rescue him, that jerk Silver battled me again and I gave him a beatdown, though he did manage to knock out Lara which left Kiki fight his Feraligatr (which happened to know Ice Fang... good thing Kiki never got hit with it!) I found the Director and he gave me the Card Key so I went back to the Radio Tower and took on the Rocket Executives, and finally kicked Team Rocket out! I decided to take an extra berry for fun at this point, going with a blue berry, which gave me the Exp Zero rule.

After that I went back to Mahogany Town and proceeded to Route 44. Along the way, Lara finally learned Dream Eater, which she will keep for the rest of the run as per the Elm Street Neighbors rule. I made it to the Ice Path and I was so excited because I was ready to catch a Sneasel there to add to my team! But... after a little research, I found out that Sneasel actually can't be caught in the Ice Path in HG/SS!! I was disappointed :(

I made it to Blackthorn City and after exploring Routes 45-46 I was ready to fight Clair. Her Gyarados was tough to take down but thanks to Lara's Hypnosis putting it to sleep long enough and a crit from Shadow Ball it went down. Clair's Dragonair knew Thunder Wave and kept paralyzing Lara but she managed to take them out too. Lara was able to put a Curse on Clair's Kingdra before getting taken out, so Kiki swooped in and finished it by landing a Fly attack. But then Clair wouldn't give me a badge so I had to go pass the test in the Dragon's Den. Then finally I got my last badge!

Current Team:

Spr_4p_430.png

Kiki ♀ Lv. 43
    - Wing Attack
    - Nasty Plot
    - Faint Attack
    - Fly

Spr_4h_094.png

Lara ♀ Lv. 44
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Ball
    - Dream Eater
    - Curse

Spr_4h_088.png

Slink ♀ Lv. 31
    - Sludge
    - Mud Bomb
    - Disable
    - Minimize

Let's go for triple the pain fun before the E4 and take a red, blue and green berry!

Superjolt

Years
  • Trick or Treat Challenge Part 9 (Final): Keep your friends close, and your enemies Cursed

Current Rules:

Starter lock hex
    You're a wizard, Harry - You have to put one of the following Pokémon on your team and it must stay there for the rest of the game: Haunter/Gengar, Dusclops/Dusknoir, Banette, Gardevoir, Gallade, Kadabra/Alakazam, Sableye, Grumpig, Solrock, Lunatone, Misdreavus/Mismagius, Gulpin, Relicanth, Dustox, Medicham, Jynx, Chandelure, Reuniclus, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Chimecho <- Pokémon used by Channelers and Hex Maniacs
    Curse of curses - Any Pokémon that can learn Curse must know it for the rest of the game. If your team doesn't have a Pokémon with Curse yet, put a Pokémon that can learn it on your team. It must stay there and know Curse for the rest of the game.
    The Thing - Catch a Ditto, Grimer, Muk, or any of the Goomey line and permanently put it on your team. Plus one Pokémon of your choice is assimilated and must be perma-boxed.
    EXP Zero - The EXP Share and Lucky Egg are now banned.
    (NEW!) Locked Ball Curse - The Pokeball in your 4th slot is now cursed. It cannot be opened, and is permanently locked to your belt. The Pokemon currently in your 4th slot should be boxed for the remainder of the run. Additionally, you are now limited to one less Pokemon on your team.
    (NEW!) First-encounter clause - You may only capture and use the first Pokemon you encounter on each route for the remainder of the game. Your current Pokemon are unaffected, as are gifts.
    (NEW!) Plaguespreader - Teach your Pokémon as many Poison-type moves as possible. If you can't teach any move and your Pokémon doesn't already have any, your Pokémon are infected with a plague and must be permanently put in a quarantine - in the box.

Locked Ball Curse ended up cursing the 4th slot on my team... But wait! Joke's on you, Locked Ball Curse rule! I only had three Pokemon on my team! (It does take away an extra slot for me though, so I'll only be able to use 4 Pokemon for the rest of the run). I'll only be able to get first encounters on each route going forward (which leaves Routes 26 and 27). First thing's first, Slink is looking pretty under-leveled so it was time to train her up. I went to Route 48 and battled a couple of wild Pokemon, but then Slink got hit by a wild Hopip's Sleep Powder AHHHH ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Slink had to go in the box...

Before heading to Route 27, I went to battle the Kimono Girls in Ecruteak, and then climbed the Bell Tower to face Ho-Oh. After taking care of that, it was time to head east from New Bark Town to Route 27. After passing through Tohjo Falls, my first encounter here was a Doduo! So I added Dot the Doduo to my team. I battled my way to Route 26, where I found a Ponyta, which I caught and named Pepper! After a few levels Dot evolved into Dodrio! Made it to the end of Victory Road, and that jerk Silver battled me again. This time was pretty easy.

Finally I reached Indigo Plateau and prepared to take on the Elite Four. I leveled up Dot and Pepper to level 40 and Pepper evolved into Rapidash! I felt confident to now take on the Elite Four, with Lara and Kiki both at level 48 and Dot and Pepper at level 40. Will was up first. Kiki made short work of his Psychic types thanks to Night Slash. Koga was easy thanks to Lara's Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo, but his Crobat was a pain. Bruno's Fighting types went down next. Then came Karen, who was harder than the others at first, but once her Houndoom was out of the way, the rest of her team was pretty easy. Next came Lance, and I was caught off guard a little because I didn't realize his Pokemon were a few levels higher in HG/SS compared to GSC. I could barely handle his Gyarados, and then his Aerodactyl took everyone out with Rock Slide, and I lost!

After leveling Lara up to level 56 and Pepper and Dot to level 51, I marched back to challenge the Elite Four again. This time it was even easier (Kiki took out Karen's Houndoom with one hit from Fly this time around!) Kiki also learned Dark Pulse during the battle with Karen, which proved to be helpful against Lance. Taking down Lance's Gyarados was still not the easiest, but thanks to Lara placing a Curse it went down (but still took a while because Lance used a Full Restore on it!) Lara took down Aerodactyl after putting it to sleep, and then did the same to Lance's Chariazrd. Lara tried to put his first Dragonite (the level 50 one) to sleep (but missed!) and managed to get a Curse out before getting knocked out. Kiki held on, but it was tough and took a bunch of healing because this Dragonite knew Thunder. It finally went down, and then Lance sent out his next Dragonite. Kiki held on again, and when Lance used a Full Restore I was able to set up a Nasty Plot which helped Dark Pulse do a lot of damage. His last Dragonite took out Kiki but I was able to revive Lara long enough to place another Curse, and when Lara went down, Dot finished it off with a Drill Peck.

At last... victory was ours!

Total play time: 40:54

Number of Pokemon lost to Sleep during this run: 8

Final Team:

Spr_4p_430.png

Kiki ♀ Lv. 56
    - Night Slash
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fly

Spr_4h_094.png

Lara ♀ Lv. 57