• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The One Drop

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
Years
  • Hi all! Glad you decided to take a look at my fic. I'm currently posting it regularly on two other forums. So, I'll be posting probably 2 chapters a week here until you're all caught up with the plot. Please do not post comments here, but I would love to read your feedback in the Fan Fic Lounge, a sticky in this chamber.
    -------------------------------

Chapter 1
    Mari smiled with happiness at the diploma in her hands. She took a bite of food from her plate and savored the flavor. The next few days would go quickly and she wanted to relax while she could.

?Hello, earth to Mari,? said the white haired young man sitting next to her, he had apparently been talking to her while she was zoning out.

?Oh! Sorry, Spencer,? she replied to her brother. ?I?m just really excited, ya know.?

He laughed. ?Well of course you are! This is the night you get your starter Pokemon, after all.?

?Yeah,? Mari giggled. ?And tomorrow I?m leaving for Slateport. Slateport Spence! I can?t believe I?m finally going on my journey!?

?Well, that?ll come soon enough. For now enjoy the party!?

Mari looked around the room with her blue-grey eyes, running her fingers through her shoulder-length blonde hair. They were inside the Pokemon Academy?s cafeteria where all the students were celebrating their graduation. Most were discussing what Pokemon they wanted for their starter, while others were talking about where they wanted to go first.

?Say, isn?t that the founder of the Academy?? Spencer said, gesturing to a tall blonde woman who was in her mid-thirties.

?Yeah, that?s Electra,? Mari replied. ?She?s here to give all the students their Pokemon,?

?You know you?re really lucky, Mari,? Spencer said half-teasing. ?You get to choose from dozens of Pokemon as your starter. When I graduated from Pokemon School, we only got to choose from five.?

She laughed. ?A lot of good it?s doing me, I can?t choose one!? Mari had been thinking for months about what kind of Pokemon she wanted, but simply could not decide. Now that it was less than an hour before she would receive her starter from the Academy, she decided she would take whatever they gave her. As long as it wasn?t Psychic or Ghost, those Pokemon terrified her.

?Miss Donovan,? Mari was startled by a voice coming from behind her. Spinning around, she found it belonged to Electra.

?Oh! Electra!? Mari said, stuttering from nerves upon being approached by the Pokemon Master. ?Hi, how are you??

?I?m fine Miss Donovan, thank you. Might I have a word with you in my office??

?Uh, your office? Did I do something wrong??

?Oh, no, not at all!? Electra said reassuringly. ?There?s just a matter I wish to discuss with you in private.?

?Oh, OK,? Mari replied uneasily. She stood up to follow Electra. Without any further words, Electra turned around and began to walk out of the cafeteria. Mari shrugged at Spencer and left with her.

After a brief walk, they arrived at Electra?s office and entered. Inside in a chair in front of her desk sat a middle-aged man with dark brown hair and glasses. Just behind him peering around his side was a small grey hovering Pokemon. It was not much larger than a basketball and had a shape similar to a balloon, only it had a free, flowing appearance. A pale grey mask surrounded its small black eyes. The man stood up and extended his hand to Mari. ?Miss Donovan, I?m Dr. Ghilbee, it?s nice to meet you.?

Mari nodded and shook his hand. ?Nice to meet you too, Doctor. Please, call me Mari.?

Electra took her chair behind the desk and motioned for Mari to sit. The grey Pokemon came out a little bit from behind the Doctor when Mari sat down, watching her with intense curiosity. Electra began. ?Miss Donovan, I?ve been looking over your school record and I must admit it?s quite impressive.?

?Thank you, but I don?t know how impressive it is,? Mari said meekly. ?My scores are only a little above average.?

Electra shrugged it off. ?Nonsense, they?re a good deal above average. Aside from that, you show a great deal of creativity. That?s why you?re here. You see, Dr. Ghilbee here is a genetic researcher; he?s been experimenting with genetically altering Pokemon to create new ones. These new Pokemon could play important roles in humanity one day.?

Mari looked at the Doctor with some discomfort. Genetic alteration didn?t sound like the noblest cause in science.

By now the grey Pokemon seemed to be getting over its shyness and was slowly coming closer to Mari. She smiled at it.

?Yes Mari,? the Doctor butted in. ?I?ve been working for the last ten years on a specific Pokemon, one that could have a drastic impact on the world. It could help sailors at sea, farmers with their crops, villagers with a limited water supply, and there are dozens of other applications!?

?What kind of Pokemon could possibly do all that?? Mari said half to herself. The Pokemon was now very close to her, and she slowly reached out to pet it. Holding her hand an inch or two away at first, it examined her hand gingerly and smiled in approval. Mari stroked its head gently.

?You?re petting it,? the doctor replied.

Mari started and gazed down at the noticeably small Pokemon. It didn?t seem that it was remarkable in any way except that Mari had never seen anything quite like it, and the courses at the Academy had introduced her to most known Pokemon. ?Don?t take this the wrong way, Doctor,? Mari said, ?But how could this little Pokemon possibly do all the things you say??

Ghilbee smiled at her clearly anticipated question. ?I call that Pokemon a Castform. She is the first of 8 created by my staff and me. Her and the other 7 are all capable of a remarkable feat. They can influence the weather.?

Once again startled, Mari thought a moment about the possible applications of such a Pokemon. She had heard of the moves Sunny Day or Rain Dance, but for a Pokemon to be capable of influencing all types of weather was virtually impossible, at least among natural Pokemon. ?This? Castform as you call it, could help sailors at sea by calming storms, help farmers by calling rain and shine according to the need, and supply rainfall to villages in a drought. Incredible.?

The Doctor seemed pleased at her response. ?Precisely. You can also imagine the applications on the battlefield. That?s another interesting aspect of Castform. It transforms according to the weather. The grey form you see now is its standard, or ?true? appearance. In extreme weather conditions, it changes into a different form with a different type. In sunshine it would be a fire type and in rain, water. Those are just two of its known transformations. It?s also possible there are other transformations we have not yet seen.?

Mari sat in her chair, speechless. Such a Pokemon if properly trained could become nearly invincible. If it faces a rock Pokemon, cause it to rain and become a water type. If it faces a bug type, use Sunny Day attack and become a fire type. Again she looked down at the Castform she was petting. She was innocently leaning into her stroking, fully enjoying herself.

?Let?s not be too hasty, Doctor,? Electra intervened. ?I know you are excited about your creation, but let us state all the facts. While it is theoretically possible for a Castform to influence the weather in any way it wanted, absolutely none of them have yet done so. Most can certainly influence the weather, making it hot or drizzle. One of them can even use the full Rain Dance attack, but to be able to cause all kinds of drastic changes in the weather, you are still a good ways off.?

Ghilbee seemed annoyed, but nodded in agreement none-the-less. ?That is why we asked you here, Mari. The only people who have been working with the Castform trying to develop their powers are scientists. We have discussed it, and we want to give a Castform to a trainer who might be able to bring out the full potential of it.?

Mari?s eyes widened, suddenly realizing why she had been called to the office. ?Me?? was all she managed to say. She was no longer petting the Castform, and she floated up, chirping a thank you to Mari and then assumed a position between her and the Doctor.

?Perhaps Miss Donovan,? Electra said. ?The Doctor knows me quite well and that I instruct talented young trainers at this school. So, he asked me for a suggestion on who to give Castform to. You are talented, and I?ve heard that you don?t know what kind of Pokemon you want as your starter. You seemed the perfect choice. If you want, Castform is yours as your starter Pokemon.?

Mari sat in uncertain silence. There was so much to consider. It was an incredible opportunity, but there were so many questions she had. ?Dr Ghilbee, are you really giving me a Pokemon you worked ten years on, or is it just a loan? If I don?t help Castform progress, will you take her away from me??

?All good questions,? he replied. ?In truth, while I do want a trainer to work with one of my Castform, there is another reason. This particular Castform was the first created. She has been with us a long time, and is a very good friend. But she wants to see the world and challenge herself! So, yes, even if she doesn?t progress, she is yours.?

?Dr Ghilbee,? Electra said, ?would you give Miss Donovan and me a moment alone??

Ghilbee seemed as if he wanted to say something, but stopped himself and nodded. He exited the room and took Castform with him.

?Miss Donovan, I can only imagine what must be going through your head right now. But I think that if I were in your place, I might be worried about what taking a man-made Pokemon would mean to my career as a trainer.?

Mari nodded quietly, that was exactly her main concern. A genetically modified ?super-Pokemon? would surely be frowned upon. It might even make her look like a trainer willing to do anything, no matter how unfair or underhanded, to win.

?Well, consider this. Dr Ghilbee is very proud of his creation, and with good reason. But she is not as powerful as he likes to make her sound. As I said before, for the most part the Castform can only vaguely affect the weather, although they do all change with it. At this time, Castform is no more powerful than any other species. But, while she will be far more difficult to train, her potential is far greater as well. Consider her evenly balanced in that respect. Also, Castform is not as man made as Ghilbee likes to make it sound. She is simply a hybrid of several other Pokemon, with some extra modifications here and there.?

?Really?? Mari said, intrigued.

?Yes, Castform is mostly Ditto with some other Pokemon that know Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail, etc thrown in. So, you don?t have to consider her completely artificial.?

Mari smiled. ?Thanks, Electra, I really appreciate your help, and your confidence in me. But I need time to think.?

Electra nodded. ?Of course you do! I?ll make this simple. When you come to get your starter, you name either Castform, or one on the official list. It?s as simple as that.?

?Ok, but isn?t Castform privately owned? That would mean I need to sign papers or something to get Castform, doesn?t it?? Mari asked. She remembered something along those lines from one of her classes.

An odd smile flickered across her lips. ?Something like that.? Mari was about to ask just what that something might be but Electra interrupted. ?Choose Castform, and you?ll find out soon enough.?

A few minutes later Mari arrived back at the party. Her brother was at the punch table refilling his cup. She scooped up her own cup and helped herself.

?So what was that all about?? Spencer asked.

?Oh, just something about the starters,? she answered.

?Just something, huh?? Spencer chuckled. ?Well, I?m ready to see what Pokemon you end up with, personally. Everyone back home is holding bets.?

Mari smiled at the thought of her family at home in Mauville. ?It?s weird not having them here.?

?Yeah, well, Grandpa Wattie insisted that you start your Pokemon journey by yourself. I was only allowed to come because I?m not a parent.?

?How?s the gym doing?? Mari asked about her Grandpa Wattson?s Gym.

?Pretty good, there?s a lot of new trainers coming through all the time,? Spencer said thoughtfully. ?Over the past month only a few got badges, though. It?s kinda sad.?

?Guests and graduates,? came a voice over the speaker system. ?The time has come.? Electra stood at the podium. ?Will all the graduates now please get in line in front of the podium in an orderly fashion.?

Mari squealed in delight as she hugged Spencer and then practically floated to her place in line. It seemed a year before it was finally Mari?s turn. While waiting, she was deep in thought. Castform was at the focus of her attention. The conversation in Electra?s office kept running over and over again in her head. Indecision clouded her mind. But through it all, she knew deep down already what her decision was.

?Miss Mari Donovan,? Electra announced. Mari?s head shot up as she realized it was time. She approached her teacher with forced confidence. ?What is your decision?? Electra asked.

?Castform, please.? Mari said. This time her confidence was real.

Electra smiled and handed her a blue Pokeball, as were all Academy-issued Pokeballs. ?Mister Max Marimo,? Electra called the next person in line.

Mari was shaking with excitement and jogged to the table where Spencer was sitting, grinning ear to ear. ?Well, whadja choose?? he said.

?Well see for yourself,? Mari announced as she opened the Pokeball. Mari frowned. She tried opening it again. ?It can?t be,? she whispered. The Pokeball was empty.

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
  • Reminder: Please do not post in this thread. Any feedback you wish to give will happily be read in the Fan Fic Lounge, a sticky thread in this chamber.

Chapter 2
    ?Oh, don?t be so paranoid,? chuckled a man.

Mari turned to see it was Dr Ghilbee. ?I don?t understand, where?s Castform??

?What?s a Castform?? Spencer asked in confusion.

?It?s supposed to be my starter,? Mari said briefly, impatiently waiting for Ghilbee?s answer.

?You see,? Ghilbee explained, ?Castform was never put in a Pokeball. I wanted to put her in one before giving her to you, but Electra insisted you catch her yourself. I haven?t the vaguest idea why.?

Mari allowed herself a small smile. This was the ?something? Electra had mentioned that would give Mari true ownership of Castform. It was perfect. ?That?s fine with me,? she smiled. ?Where is Castform, anyway??

?She?s waiting somewhere quiet.? He shifted uneasily. ?She?s not terribly fond of crowds.?

?Can?t blame her there,? she replied.

?Mar, would you mind explaining what?s going on?? Spencer said with an eyebrow raised.

She giggled. ?Sure, in just a minute Spence. Oh!? she said suddenly remembering her manners. ?Spencer, this is Dr Ghilbee, Dr Ghilbee, this is my brother Spencer. Doctor, when am I going to catch her??

?Right now if you want, it?s not too late, only seven o?clock. Electra arranged to have arena number four lit up for a night battle, she said you?d know where that is,? the Doctor replied.

?Great! Let?s get going!? Mari said. She wasn?t sure she could take much more waiting before exploding. With Mari leading the other two, they all headed for the battle arena.

?So update me, please,? Spencer said as they were walking.

?I?m getting a special Pokemon as my starter,? Mari began. ?Castform?s a hybrid of several other Pokemon. Dr Ghilbee here worked on creating her. She?s totally adorable, and she?s got incredible potential Spence! We?re talking all kinds of weather control!?

Spencer whistled. ?Awesome! Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, to me.?

?Yup!? She said as they arrived at the arena. There she saw one of the teacher?s aides with Castform. The arena was standard size, simple with no stadium for onlookers but a few benches. Floodlights surrounded and lit it up. A bookshelf-like construction filled with Pokeballs was in-between two of the benches. Seeing them approach, the aide left.

?Hi Castform!? Mari waved. Castform darted over to her, and rubbed her head against Mari?s hand. ?You want to be petted more, huh?? she laughed and obliged the Pokemon. ?Hey Castform, my name is Mari Donovan if you didn?t catch it before. What do you say to traveling around with me?? Castform had obviously already thought about this and nodded zealously.

?You?re a lucky Pokemon Castform,? Ghilbee said and patted Castform lovingly. ?Most Pokemon don?t get to pick their trainers, and I think you got a good one.?

?Well of course she did!? Spencer said. ?Hi Castform, I?m Spencer, Mari?s brother,? he outstretched his arm, giving Castform the opportunity to smell him.

She backed away a little, unsure of this new person.

?It?s OK, he?s nice,? Mari prodded.

With Mari?s encouragement, Castform slowly approached Spencer and smelled his hand. Spencer gently pet her, and she obviously approved, floating closer to him.

?So, Castform, let?s get down to business,? Mari said in a more formal tone. Castform gave her her full attention. ?Before we can start traveling, I?m going to have to put you in a Pokeball. That will prove that I am your trainer. Do you understand?? Castform, frowning in concentration on her words, nodded. ?Good, now, to catch you, we should battle. That battle will help us familiarize ourselves with each other?s battle styles. In the end, we?ll hopefully respect each other more as a result of the battle. Are you ready?? Mari asked finally. Castform looked into Mari?s eyes and nodded again with determination.

As they walked to the different sides of the arena, Mari smiled to herself. This Pokemon was more than the sweet loveable creature she appeared at first to be. She stopped by the Pokeball holder on her way and carefully selected the Pokemon she was most familiar with, having battled several times with it during her year at the Academy.

Ghilbee and Spencer sat down on a bench, eager to silently observe.

The ball in hand, Mari took her place at the trainer?s section of the arena. She silently nodded her readiness to Castform who did the same. The battle began.

?Go, Whismur!? Mari called out, releasing a small pink bunny-like Pokemon.

Castform attacked first, whizzing through the air about a foot above the ground. She slammed into Whismur with great speed, but not nearly as much force, not even knocking it down. Whismur jumped away and Castform darted off. They were about fifteen feet away from each other.

?Pound!? Mari ordered and Whismur leapt at Castform, who did not move but seemed to get slightly larger. Whismur jumped above Castform and put its body weight into the attack, pounding its fist squarely on Castform?s head. Its fist, however, gently bounced off Castform?s elastic body. Whismur landed on its feet and looked at the smiling grey Pokemon dumbfounded.

Mari was even more surprised. ?Didn?t Castform just hit Whismur as a solid form?? she thought, but quickly called to mind Castform?s change in size just before Whismur hit. ?Did Castform loosened its pliable body, becoming more elastic? That would also explain the lightness of Castform?s earlier physical attack. I?ve got to have this Pokemon!? she thought to herself smiling. ?Whismur,? she said aloud, ?physical attacks won?t work right now. Howl to boost your attack and unnerve her!?

Whismur stood still and tall as Castform again charged forward taking the opportunity to attack. Before she could hit her mark, however, Whismur unleashed a loud and deep roar, frightening Castform so bad she stopped in her tracks. On either side of her pliable body two short, fingerless hand-like arms stretched out and clenched her head where her unseen ears must have been. After a few seconds the howl that almost gave Mari a headache ceased and Whismur awaited further orders. Castform on the other hand slowly opened her eyes and wobbled around in the air, disoriented.

?Quick Whismur,? Mari said seeing her chance, ?Uproar!?

Whismur took a few steps closer to its opponent and opened its large mouth as far as it would go, and belted out several noises, screeches, growls, and roars of different volumes and keys. Castform clenched her head even tighter and with closed eyes through the agony shot out of her mouth fireballs randomly in all directions. By pure luck one of them hit Whismur squarely in the stomach, ending its attack and causing it to topple over backwards, slamming into the ground.

Castform shook her head clear, identified Whismur, and spit another ember attack at it.

?Whismur, jump!? Mari commanded, and it managed to do so just in time as the golf-ball sized ember rolled over the rock. ?Now Supersonic!?

Whismur landed and immediately shot a low-frequency sound wave at Castform. The sound wasn?t exactly audible to Mari, but it scratched at her ears annoying her terribly. The attack itself was aimed at Castform and though she darted in all directions trying to avoid the invisible attack, Whismur?s third supersonic enveloped Castform. It wasn?t painful, but in only seconds Castform literally could not see straight. Nausea and lightheadedness took over, and she did her best to stay still and focus on Whismur. But there were multiple images of everything and Castform soon dropped onto the ground in a pathetic, jelly-like puddle, trying desperately to regain her senses.

?Great Whismur,? Mari said. ?Now that Castform?s confused, your Pound attack will probably work!?

Whismur nodded and ran to Castform, pounding her up several feet into the air as she was very light even for her small size. She began to flutter slowly back to the earth like a feather where Whismur stood, ready to deal more damage. Castform had other plans, however, and at about five feet above ground came to a halt, blinking her eyes in concentration.

?Whismur, the Supersonic?s wearing off, use it again!? Mari said.

Whismur did as it was told, managing an immediate direct hit. When Castform quickly shook it off, Mari frowned. Now that the Supersonic had failed once, that was likely to continue to happen. ?Try using Uproar and then hit her with as many pounds as you can!? Mari was starting to worry about the outcome of the battle. But at the same time, excitement washed over her. Excitement that this Pokemon?s raw power and talent could be hers to harness and learn about, if only she could win this one battle! She turned her attention back to the battle in a hurry as Whismur screeched a longer and harder Uproar than before. The attack greatly upset Castform and though still slightly confused yelled at Whismur in anger for the assault on her ears. She was still hovering several feet in the air and after finishing the Uproar, short little Whismur had to jump up quite a ways to Pound Castform. Whismur, as an experienced Pokemon, and was sure to slam Castform down so the next attack would be easier to execute.

Castform slammed face-first into the ground. Whismur landed a split-second afterwards and used the force from falling to kick off with great speed and power towards Castform, with its arm pulled back ready to strike. The force of the Pound and fall had abruptly cured Castform of its confusion, however, and as Whismur approached her, she shot into the air and fired an ember at Whismur as it flew by where Castform had landed. Having been struck by the ember, Whismur spun off into the dirt uncontrollably. In a rage, Castform followed Whismur and continued firing embers. After a few seconds of tumbling on the dusty ground, Whismur pushed itself up and didn?t waste a second before running from Castform. Fireballs being continuously being shot, Whismur madly avoided most but was directly hit four times.

?Whismur, Secret Power!? Mari called frantically. Whismur wasn?t particularly good at this attack, but with the current situation there was little else to could do.

Whismur very suddenly fell flat on her stomach. Castform shot over and beyond it. Whismur leapt up and pressed its two paws together tight so that they began to glow. Castform veered around and was coming at Whismur in a tackle. Just before she made contact, Whismur?s glowing paws unleashed a bright burst of stars. The brilliant objects flew wildly in all directions, enveloping the attacking Castform. The blinding flash and force of the Swift attack sent her flying from Whismur, landing with a crash several yards away. The same blast also pushed Whismur back a few feet. The pure energy in its paws burned, spreading almost like paralysis through its body. Whismur was not used to controlling so much physical power in its tiny paws, and Secret Power?s Swift was a move Mari didn?t plan on using again.

When the dust had settled and both Pokemon were back on their feet, Mari became increasingly worried about them both. Whismur was panting so hard it was close to hyperventilating. So weak from the demanding battle, the Secret Power attack in particular, it was barely able to even stand on its own two feet. Burns from the ember shots covered Whismur?s body, and were slowly sapping the life out of it even now.

Castform, though without burns, appeared just as bad. Scratches and dirt marred her body. Her breathing was labored, and beads of sweat covered her head. She had a pained look on her face, obviously from a headache caused by all the sonic blasts. Mari had no desire to see this go on and grabbed the empty Academy-issued Pokeball out of her pocket. The bottom half was white, the top was silver, and the dividing line and button was bright blue.

Wordlessly, she threw the ball at Castform. Whismur and Mari gazed intently as Castform was enveloped by the familiar bright red light and pulled inside the Pokeball.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2010
    Did I ever make a post here ever before? Well, oh well, this is a great story I have to say! Great job on it! ;)

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
  • Reminder: Please do not post in this thread. Any feedback you wish to give will happily be read in the Fan Fic Lounge, a sticky thread in this chamber.

Chapter 3
    The Pokeball shook several times, but Castform soon popped back out. It was obviously very tired, but not out of fight just yet.

Castform, taking virtually no note of the capture attempt, inhaled sharply and spit out a slow, continuous stream of water. The low-powered water gun didn?t go anywhere near Whismur who was only a few yards away. Mari was given a moment to think, and could not figure out what Castform was doing. It must be a strategy of some sort, but to what end was a mystery. She noticed that Whismur was looking at her for direction. ?Well,? she thought, ?Whismur is really tired so the best thing to do for now is for it to rest in preparation for the next attack.? ?It?s alright Whismur,? she said aloud. ?Go ahead and rest.?

At the bench were Dr Ghilbee and Spencer were sitting, Ghilbee broke the silence that had started at the beginning of the match. ?This is a strategy my colleague taught her,? he said.

?That?s a strategy, huh?? Spencer said, watching intently Castform?s actions. ?I think I know what it might be, but Mari?s a new trainer, whether or not she graduated from the Academy. Besides,? she smiled with pride, ?she knows Whismur needs a rest and is using this opportunity.?

Ghilbee nodded. ?She is a talented trainer, despite being a little green. I can see now why Electra suggested her.?

After a few minutes, Castform stopped watering the battlefield and looked directly at Whismur, signaling her readiness to continue. Whismur had gotten its breath back and looked a little stronger energy-wise, but its burns were continuing to take a toll. It stood up and waited for its orders.

?All right Whismur,? Mari said ready for more action. ?Jump up and grab hold of Castform, then Screech!?

Whismur immediately obeyed, ignoring the sting of its burned flesh. It took a few steps forward and leapt into the air, straight for Castform. She dodged it and Whismur fell to the ground. When Whismur hit the ground, however, it slipped and fell on its back, screeching in shock and pain for the sudden slap of mud on its burns. Castform was ready for this, and was instantly upon Whismur, dousing it with Water Gun?s piercing blast. Whismur struggles against the water, but the pressure was too powerful and it didn?t dare open its mouth for a sonic attack for fear of drowning. Whismur could just barely hear the voice of Mari. She was yelling at it. ?Whismur, Secret Power!? it finally discerned through the water in its ears. Whismur clenched its paws together, slowly drawing up every last ounce of energy it had. Already its chest was bursting for want of air, and so it unleashed the Secret Power?s Swift attack. The force pushed Whismur deep into the mud, and it could not tell what was happening above to Castform. Mud invaded its eyelids, stinging its eyes. But the water stopped, and slowly the Swift?s light faded. Whismur lay in the mud, too tired and aching to move. Its eyes were clenched shut, wanting to forget the battle and Castform and just go to sleep in its comfy Pokeball.

But then again it heard the desperate cries of Mari. ?Quick, use Stomp before it?s too late!?

Whismur opened its eyes, and through the blur Castform slowly came into focus. Lying in the mud, she was struggling to get up. Whismur turned its head to Mari. ?Please,? she pleaded. ?I can?t imagine how tired you are. But for me, please get up one last time and use Stomp. I won?t ask you to attack again, even if I don?t catch Castform!?

Whismur could see the anxiety in her eyes. She was sorry to ask for this attack, but Castform was her goal, her future. Whismur decided. With the last of its energy, Whismur pushed itself off the ground to face Castform, still struggling to get off the ground. She looked up, their eyes locked. This would be the final round.

Whismur started to charge. Castform, though unable to move or throw a heavy attack, spit out a mist of small embers, tearing at Whismur?s already scorched flesh as it approached.

Mari watched in horror, pride, and joy. Whismur was enduring so much for her, a trainer it had only known a year. It took attack after burning attack, and Castform would soon be hers because of it.

Whismur was continually burned as it ran at Castform. But now, it was upon her. Whismur leapt into the air, and slammed its food into Castform with all its weight. It almost panicked as it felt its foot sink into Castform?s elastic body, but her cries of pain soon proved the stomp was enough. Whismur jumped back off Castform and collapsed on its stomach. It cried for Mari to throw the Pokeball, and she did just that. They both watched the Pokeball wriggle. Slowly the shaking ceased. Castform was caught.

?Yes!? Mari jumped into the air with exhilaration.

?Alright!? Spencer jumped off the bench in a similar manner as Mari. ?She caught her!?

?Indeed,? Ghilbee smiled with satisfaction, still sitting.

Mari ran out onto the battlefield, but she was not headed for the Pokeball. She ran to Whismur?s side. Sitting down next to it on the grass, not daring to touch it she said, ?Oh Whismur, thank you so much! I?m so proud of you. I?ve never seen any Pokemon battle like that. Not even on TV!?

Whismur smiled weakly. Despite the burning, aching, and tiredness, it had never felt so proud of itself. ?I?ll get you to the Pokemon Clinic right away, so don?t you worry.? With that, Mari recalled Whismur to its Pokeball. She stood up and faced Castform?s Pokeball lying in the mud. Smiling as she picked it up she whispered, ?You could use some nursing too. Just you watch Castform, we?re going to have the time of our lives together!? With that Mari Donovan, 14-year-old native of Mauville, walked off the battlefield.

Spencer ran up to her and lifted her off the ground in a bear hug. ?You did it, Mar!? he said.

?Yeah,? she said with her face flushed. ?But the credit goes to Whismur.?

?Sure,? he said smiling with love for his sister?s kind heart.

?Congratulations Miss Donovan,? Electra walked up.

?Thank you so much Electra,? Mari said earnestly. ?Thank you so much for this opportunity. And thank you too, Dr Ghilbee.?

Ghilbee smiled. ?I should be thanking you for taking care of Castform. You did an excellent job at catching her.?

Nodding, Mari continued in a more serious tone. ?Yes, but both Pokemon are hurt pretty bad. I need to get them to the Academy clinic right away!?

?Of course,? Electra nodded and briskly led the way to the clinic.

Upon arriving at the clinic, a Dr Clive Roberson whisked Castform and Whismur away to the intensive care unit. It was a small reception area, strictly functional with a predominantly pale blue theme. There were a few sofas next to the check-in counter.

?Well, it?s getting rather late,? Ghilbee said heading for the door. ?I?ll be turning in early tonight. Good night.? The others nodded goodnight to him, and he left.

After a few silent moments of sitting on the sofa, Spencer?s pocket rang. He pulled a cell phone out and answered. ?Hello?? ?Yes, this is Spencer Donovan.? ?Really?? ?Do I have to leave right now?? ? ?Oh, OK. I?m on my way.?

He hung up and gave Mari a guilty smile. She was firmly staring at him, her arms crossed. ?Heh, my unit called,? said Government Official Spencer Donovan.

?Yeah, I guessed,? Mari said crossly. Through this conversation Electra was looking at the two with intense fascination.

?Look, Mar, I?m sorry but I got called off to take care of some urgent business.?

?And I suppose it?s on a need to know basis only.?

?That?s what ya get sometimes when you work for the government.?

Mari?s expression relaxed to a sorrowful smile. ?I was hoping you?d be here tomorrow to see me off??

?Yeah,? he smiled in the same way. ?I wanted to too. But, you know this means you get your presents tonight instead of tomorrow.?

She brightened with teasing enthusiasm. ?Really? Well, then, why didn?t you leave earlier??

?Well, this looks like a family affair,? Electra said standing up. ?So, I?m going to leave you two. I have some paperwork I need to finish anyway. Good night.?

Mari and Spencer said their goodbyes to her. At this point Dr Roberson returned. ?Miss Donovan, Castform and Whismur sustained no serious injuries in the battle and just need some basic medication and rest. I would like to keep them here overnight for observation, however.?

Mari nodded silently. She was getting tired after all the day?s excitement. ?So, wanna give me my presents now?? she smiled wickedly at Spencer.

He laughed. ?Course. They?re in my room, though. Say, did you get your starter pack from the Academy yet??

?Yeah,? she replied. ?I got it this morning. It?s in my room, but I haven?t even opened it yet.?

?OK, then. Why don?t you go back to your room and open it up while I go grab your presents from my room.?

Mari nodded. ?OK. Hey, what are the guestrooms here like, anyway??

He thought a moment and said, ?Pretty nice. It was obviously made to hold two people in a pinch, and it?s got lots of room with my own bathroom.? He laughed. ?It?s better than my first apartment!?

She laughed back. ?Sounds like my dorm room. But I had to share it for the first couple months. My roommate graduated soon after I came, though, and there?s not exactly limited space around here so I never got another roomie.?

Spencer nodded and stood up. ?Shall we go?? he offered her his hand.

She giggled and took it. He led her out of the Academy clinic into the cool night. They separated and Mari walked off to her dorm room. As she walked in silence, Mari fought her fatigue and thought. ?So,? she smiled inwardly, ?I have my first Pokemon. This is so cool! I wonder if I?ll give her a nickname. I better get to know her before I think about a nickname, though. Let?s see, we should be in Slateport by tomorrow afternoon, and then we can catch a ferry to? well, wherever I want!? Mari soon arrived at the appropriate building and in her room.

It had two beds, a small refrigerator, a table with four chairs, two desks, and an adjoining bathroom. It had obviously been created to hold multiple guests in a pinch. On the table was a largish box. She walked over to it and sat down. On the box was inscribed in blue letters ?Electra?s Pokemon Academy - Starter Pack.? Taking the lid off, she found inside five red Pokeballs, a Great Ball, a first-aid kit featuring a large non-refillable potion and assorted status cures, a map of the major regions, and a round blue Pokedex. ?Cool!? Mari squealed as she took her time examining everything, the Pokedex in particular. In a few minutes there was a knock on the door. ?Let me in!? came the muffled voice of her brother.

She leapt up out of her chair and opened the door. Spencer stumbled in, carrying wrapped gifts up to his head. ?I can?t seeee!? he said just as some of the gifts toppled off the top of the pile in his arms.

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years

Chapter 4
    Mari stretched her arms out to catch the packages, but only managed to catch one small yellow bag. The others fell on the floor, and Spencer now only held one of them all. Smiling sheepishly he said, ?Nothing glass, I promise.?

Mari sighed a giggle to relieve the stress. ?Just put them on this table,? she said placing the yellow bag she had caught on the table her starter kit was on.

?Oh,? Spencer said noticing the open starter box. ?We didn?t really get you any basic trainer stuff cuz we know the Academy gives you a basic starter pack. After that, you are so on your own. But here ya go,? he placed the one box he still had on the desk and picked up the other two as Mari sat down. Spencer took a second chair opposite from her.

?Where to begin,? she looked greedily at the colorful packages. There were four in all, and Mari scanned them. There was an art to choosing which gift to open, and she knew it very well. She pulled a heavy red gift closer to her, and opened its card.

?Well, sweetie, you?re starting your journey. I?m so proud of you! I know you?ll make a great trainer, and your Pokemon will be lucky to have you. Be sure to call everyone once in awhile and check in on your dear old Dad. I hope you like what I got you, the kind of book I got you was certainly invaluable to me when I traveled around Kanto when I was young, but since you?re going through Hoenn I had to get you a different one. The second thing I would have killed for! LOL! So, again, good luck and hope you have fun.

Love,
    Dad?

Mari smiled at the card. She felt a pit of mushy emotion begin to form in her stomach, but she swallowed hard and cut the ribbon with a pair of scissors she got off her desk. She opened the larger half of the two-layered present first, and found a large hard cover book titled ?Wild Food Guide - Hoenn Edition.? She smiled and put the Pecha-print book to the side. ?That?s Daddy, always the practical one,? she said to Spencer.

?Yeah, that book will really come in handy,? he replied. ?I had one when I was on my Gym Challenge here. Saved me and my Pokemon from starvation many times.?

Now working on the smaller cube, Mari tore away some of the paper and saw the words ?CEIS Bin?. Squealing in delight she ripped apart the remaining paper. ?YES! THANK YOU DADDY!? she almost screamed.

?What did he get you, anyway,? Spencer asked with some surprise at her reaction. ?He wouldn?t tell me.?

?It?s a CEIS Bin, it uses Compressed Electronic Item Stream technology to make a bin and all items in it into a compressed electronic stream and go into an item ball. A CIES Bin is like a Pokeball that holds a bin instead of a Pokemon! Now I can carry everything I need without breaking my back.?

Spencer groaned. ?No wonder he didn?t tell me what it was. I would have done anything for one of those!?

Still giddy from excitement she said, ?Well don?t feel too bad Spencer, they were really expensive when you started out and even now they?re not cheap.?

He smiled. ?Yeah, I know, congrats on getting it sis.?

?Thank you very much,? she faked a bow.

Next Mari selected a box with so many bows on such glittering and flower-filled paper it could only be from Mom. She opened the small but equally decorated card.

?Dear Daughter,
    I?m sorry I?m not there with you on the beginning of your journey, but your Grandpa Wattson positively insisted that your father and I not go. And while I yelled and screamed over it, I know he?s right. You?re growing up now, and you don?t need me and Dad holding your hand anymore. But I love you sweetie, and even when you?re a mother yourself someday you?ll always be my baby. Have lots of fun on your journey, Mar, and never forget that it?s the time of your life.

Love, Mom
    ?

This time Mari did not attempt to hold in her emotions, and two tears rolled down her cheek. When she looked up at Spencer?s understanding smile, she said through choked tears, ?This growing up stuff isn?t so easy.?

The smile on his face grew slightly bigger, but at the same time sadder. ?No, it isn?t.?

Mari used a tissue from her desk to clean up her face a bit and then set about opening her mother?s present. The task was easier said that done, and it took several minutes of cutting and snipping to get all the bows and ribbons off before an attempt could be made at the paper. When she finally got the paper off and opened the box inside, she gave a small gasp as she saw the content.

Gently she lifted up a golden-brown leather backpack. Mari smiled at the object. ?It?s so pretty!? she said. ?Well made, too.?

?Yeah,? he nodded.

Mari then noticed an envelope in the bottom of the box. Laying the heirloom down she picked up the envelope and took a plastic card out of it. Her eyes widened. ?Woah??

?What?? Spencer inquired.

?It?s a gift card for the ?Fashion by Ami? store. It?s for 15,000 pokedollars!?

Spencer whistled.

After a moment of stunned silence on Mari?s part, she almost shrieked in excitement. ?YEEES!!! I can buy new clothes! Oh, I saw the cutest shirt in their catalog the other day?? and this kind of jabbering continued on until Spencer threw his hands up.

?Enough!? he exclaimed. ?You?ve still got two more gifts to open, and I?ve got to get back to headquarters!?

Mari stopped in mid-sentence and calmed down substantially. ?Right, sorry.? She put her mother?s gifts to the side and pulled over her Grandpa Wattie?s gift. It was the same little yellow bag she had saved from the earlier gift avalanche. The card was short and sweet, just like her grandpa.

?Hiya squirt! Must admit I had a hard time choosing a gift for ya, but I think it ended up good. Oh, and take the Mauville City Gym Leader?s advice, get a ground Pokemon. You?re gonna need it. MWAHAHAHA!!!?

Mari laughed at the last comment. Her grandfather?s electric Pokemon would be tough to beat, but she?d seen him battle enough times she had an advantage. With an evil grin on her face, she pulled the stuffed paper out of the yellow bag and retrieved two items, a case and another envelope. Examining the case first, she recognized it as a creamy pale-pink Miltank leather badge case. On it was embossed in feminine gold letters, ?Mari K. Donovan.? ?Oh, how pretty,? she cooed as she opened it and found it to be lined with burgundy velvet.

Spencer laughed. ?They better be careful of they?re going to spoil you!?

?And that?s a problem? why?? she jested. ?Besides, you got just as much stuff when you started.?

?True enough,? he thought of his own dark blue badge case.

Then picking up the envelope she picked out another plastic card. ?Oh, cool!?

?What?s this one for, Cool Topic?? Spencer rolled his eyes, unable to comprehend the female desire to shop.

?No,? she stuck her tongue out at him. ?It?s a Hoenn Boat Pass. I can go to anywhere in Hoenn from anywhere in Hoenn by ship on this card. I don?t have to buy tickets or anything.?

?Now that is cool,? Spencer said. ?I had something like it for Johto?s Whirl Islands.?

Placing the pass on top of her gift card, Mari closed in on the last remaining gift. ?From you?? she raised an eyebrow at Spencer as she pulled it towards her. He nodded. The package was sky blue with a cloud white ribbon on it. No card was attached. Quickly removing the paper, she opened the cardboard box. The first thing she saw was a brick red paper bag. Taking it out she discovered its ?Lava Cookies? label. ?Alright!? she said smacking her lips. ?These are yummy! Good for Pokemon in emergencies, too.?

Spencer nodded and impatiently added, ?There?s something else in there too.?

Mari raised an eyebrow at him and peered inside the box. There was a small rectangular leathery case inside, and Mari took it out. ?A jewelry case? she thought, glancing up at Spencer?s anticipating smile. She pulled up the top of the case, which cracked at opening. Her eyes grew wide as she saw the necklace inside. ?Oh, Spencer,? she awed. It was a silver medallion on a thin black leather strap. The medallion was about the size of two bottle caps and on it was depicted the three legendary birds of Kanto, each in a different colored metal. In the center bottom was Articuno in oxidized silver, on the upper right was a copper Moltres, and on the upper left, a Zapdos made of gold.

?Like it?? Spencer was grinning for ear to ear.

?Like it??? For once she was speechless. Mari took the necklace out of its case and laid the metal object against her hand. ?Where did you??

?I was investigating a theft in Lilycove a couple months ago for the Hoenn Security Force. I saw it in a jewelry store, and well, the HSF had just given me a bonus for doing such a good job in investigating the theft. I thought you?d like it.? He made the last comment rather triumphantly.

?Like it?!? she exclaimed jumping out of her chair and running over to give her brother a hug. ?I love it!?

Over the next few minutes, they talked as they cleaned up the room, removing all evidence of wrapping paper. Mari offered Spencer a cookie she had stolen from the cafeteria earlier that day, but he declined. ?Sorry, Mar, but now I really have to go! My superiors are already going to be all over me for taking this long.?

Smiling sadly Mari said, ?OK, well, have fun saving the world.?

He gave her a similar smile. ?Nothing so heroic, but it?s my duty to serve and protect anyhow. I?ll see you later, squirt.? Giving her a big hug, he left before a big emotional goodbye ensued.

Mari was in her room, alone. The place seemed so empty now. But soon her eye caught the neat stack of supplies and gifts she received, and butterflies began to dance in her stomach. ?Tomorrow,? she thought. ?Here I come.? She went to bed with a smile on her face.

Her slumber was violently awakened the next morning by the maniacal ring of her alarm clock. Slamming the snooze button, she opened one drooping eyelid. ?8:30? was flashing on the clock and she placed two very uncoordinated feet on the floor. ?Good morning Hoenn!? she sang as she stretched and headed for the bathroom.

A little after nine, Mari was running for the Academy clinic, cheese Danish in hand. She stuck it in her mouth as she slung her new backpack over her shoulders. Feeling the little bags under her eyes she ruefully recalled not being able to go to sleep until after three due to excitement. She shook her head free from sleepiness for the tenth time that morning.

Flinging the clinic doors open, she stood behind two other people waiting in line to see the Pokemon Doctor. She took the opportunity to gulp down the rest of her breakfast.

In a few moments, it was her turn. ?Hi, I?m here to pick up Castform.?

The Doctor nodded and reached under the counter, handing Mari the silver and blue Pokeball containing her Pokemon. ?Thanks,? she said. ?I?m assuming you?ll make sure Whismur?s taken care of??

?Yes of course,? the Doctor replied again.

Mari thanked him and fled the building. She was late as usual, and she didn?t want to miss saying goodbye to Electra. In a few moments she arrived breathless and the front lawn, a small patch of grass between the reception building and the main road which led either to Slateport or Oldale, depending on if you went east or west. The few remaining graduates that hadn?t left yet were there, paying respects to Electra. There was a considerable crowd around her, and Mari hurried forward to get in line. She was stopped quite suddenly however, when someone grabbed her arm.

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years

Chapter 5
    Turning to face the person, Mari smiled. ?Dr. Ghilbee! I didn?t know you?d be here this morning!?

He raised an eyebrow. ?It?s still morning??

Mari blushed. ?Yeah, I know it?s kinda late, but I was so excited last night I couldn?t get to sleep until after three!?

?Well, in that case, you are forgiven,? he laughed. ?Where do you plan on going from here? Littleroot, perhaps??

Shaking her head she explained, ?I know almost all the other grads are going there, and I just don?t want to be packed in with them all the way. I?m going to Slateport, and from there maybe Dewford for my first badge.?

Ghilbee nodded in approval and glanced to the side thoughtfully. ?I was hoping to see Castform again before you leave??

?Oh, of course!? Mari exclaimed. She was surprised at herself for not guessing his desire earlier. The Pokeball was latched onto the front pocket of her jeans. Taking it off, she stopped herself and looked around. Castform appeared to be a remarkably shy creature and Mari had no intention of frightening her new Pokemon with crowds of students. Her glance confirmed that the only people near were in the group around Electra, and they were several meters away.

Reassured, Mari opened the silver Pokeball and Castform appeared. She chirped happily at seeing Mari and Dr. Ghilbee. The doctor opened his arms to Castform who snuggled against him in a hug.

Mari smiled at the two, her heart warmed by their affection. At the same time, however, she felt a small amount of guilt at taking Castform away from him. But then she remembered that Ghilbee had said that Castform wanted to leave him, to explore the world. The smile on the young trainer?s face grew bigger as she again thought of how thankful she was to have such a sweet and passionate Pokemon as her partner.

?Now Castform,? Ghilbee tenderly addressed her, ?You know you?re leaving with Mari soon, and you will not see me again for quite awhile.?

Castform looked up at his face from the safety of his arms. She smiled and nodded with a reassuring ?cass-form? inserted.

He smiled back. ?I know this is what you want and I?m so proud of you! But, I?m still going to miss you a whole lot.?

She smiled in the same sad, reassuring way Spencer had smiled at Mari only the night before. Then Mari realized something. Ghilbee was Castform?s dad, and he was letting her go on her own journey. A warm feeling crept over her, reminding her of the people back at Mauville who were letting her go, and were proud to do it.

?You come and visit me now, you hear?? Ghilbee said to Castform. Mari smiled and nodded when he looked up to her as well.

?I promise,? she said, just as she had promised her parents she would come and visit.

?Oh, yes,? Ghilbee remembered something and released Castform. Out of his jacket pocket he took a small, relatively thin rectangular device. Showing it to Mari, there was a screen on its front, which took about two thirds of the top. The bottom third was a miniature built-in keyboard, and along the right side was a stylus. It was metallic dark silver in color, and the screen appeared to be turned off. Still facing the screen towards Mari, he pushed a button on the keyboard. ?It?s a Portable Pokemon Database,? he said as the screen flickered to full-color life. ?Or PPD for short. It?s the absolute latest in technology. One day, Pokedexes will be replaced with these. Not only does it contain a remarkably in-depth Pokedex, but also maps of all the regions with a Global Positioning System, a word processor, a wild healing vegetation guide, basic strategies, league, gym, breeding, and coordinating information and rules, and a Pokemon nutrition guide. Barrone Corp., the company that invented it, gave me a few to test and aid me in my research. It probably will not be released for several more years to the general public. I would like you to have it, Mari. I have even programmed it with the latest information on Castform.?

?Oh, cool!? Mari snatched it from his hands and began to poke around its functions with the stylus. Castform drifted around her to peek over her shoulder at the PPD?s screen.

?You can see on the main menu there is a ?help? option,? Ghilbee said. ?It will teach you everything you need to know to use it.?

?Thank you!? she said.

?If you don?t mind, I would like to take the Academy Pokedex you got from Electra and give it back to her. You have a Pokedex in the PPD anyway and it doesn?t make sense to waste a good Pokedex.?

?Oh, yeah,? Mari took the blue Pokedex out of a side pocket of her backpack and handed it to Ghilbee. As she turned off the PPD?s screen, Castform said ?cast!? and she could have sworn it sounded just like a human?s disappointed ?aaaw.? Mari smiled at the Castform behind her shoulder and reached around to pet her. Castform leaned on Mari and seemed to melt onto her shoulder in relaxation.

Mari giggled. ?She sure does like to be pet!?

Ghilbee smiled and nodded. He glanced at his watch and said, ?Well, I really have to get going. I have a long trip ahead of me back to the lab.?

?Oh, yes,? Mari concurred. ?I should get going too. Say, where is your lab? If you don?t mind me asking, of course.?

?It?s on Route 119, just southwest of Fortree across the bridge. We?re on top of a hill with nothing else around. You can?t miss us!?

?OK,? Mari said. ?I?m sure Castform?ll miss you and you her so I?ll be sure to stop by and say hi when we?re over there.?

?Yes, I?m sure you will get over there,? Ghilbee said matter-of-factly. ?There is a Gym in Fortree, after all.?

?Well there ya go!?

Ghilbee gave a last pat on the head to Castform who had regained her semi-solid shape and was now hovering in front of Mari. Then, he left. Castform looked after him for a moment and then turned to Mari with confidence.

Mari looked over at Electra. There were less people than before, but still enough to be a possible problem to Castform?s shyness. ?Why don?t you go back into your Pokeball for just a little while longer until we get away from the Academy?? she suggested, holding out Castform?s silver and blue Pokeball. The Pokemon nodded and her Pokeball claimed her back with its red glow.

Mari walked over to Electra. The woman was busy wishing her students good luck, and generally encouraging them to do their best. Two of the students said their final goodbyes and left. Quickly, Mari took their place.

?Miss Donovan,? Electra greeted in her ever formal and diplomatic tone. ?I was hoping to say goodbye to you before you left.?

?Yeah, I got kind of a late start this morning.?

?Well, then, Miss Donovan, I want you to have fun with that Pokemon of yours. It will be quite a challenge to train her, but in the end I guarantee it will be well worth it.? Electra was careful not to Castform?s name so as not to spark jealousy in any of the other students.

?It?s been great, Electra,? Mari said. ?Thanks for everything.?

With a final handshake, Mari left. She walked across the lawn and onto the dirt road leading to Slateport. Turning around to face the Academy, a nostalgic sadness washed over her. So many good times here, with her friends. She?d had her first Pokemon battle here, with Whismur almost a year ago. Cramming for countless tests, absorbing endless information, stealing food from the cafeteria for the fridge in her room. It was all behind her now. The Great Test had begun. She turned and walked east, towards the sea.

The sun was shining and a delightfully cool sea breeze blew through the grass. Many Pokemon were doubtlessly concealed in the grassland on either side of the road, but they would stay hidden as long as possible from any human presence.

Once well out of sight of the Academy?s grey buildings, Mari took the Pokeball off her pocket and squeezed its sides. It opened, releasing Castform. She blinked at first in the sunlight, taking in her new surroundings and once re-oriented she floated just next to Mari?s left shoulder. Mari patted her head. ?Well, Castform, we?re headed for Slateport.?

The Pokemon nodded and smiled in support, though she doubtless had never heard of Slateport before.

?I should probably tell you what we?re going to be doing,? Mari said thoughtfully. Castform gave her new trainer her full attention. She proceeded to tell Castform all about the Gyms, the Hoenn League Championship, and all their rules and challenges. After a good deal of walking and explaining Mari took a breath. ?You know,? she said after a moment, ?I really don?t know a whole lot about you. Did Dr. Ghilbee ever call you anything other than ?Castform?? You know, to tell you apart from the others??

Thinking for a minute, Castform concluding by shaking her head.

?Well, I think I?d like to give you a nickname. Would that be OK with you??

She nodded.

?Cool! Well, I?d better wait until I know more about you to give you a nickname.?

Castform gave Mari an indulgent smile.

Mari blushed slightly and looked ahead at the road as they walked. That was the exact same smile her Dad gave her when she was getting weird and/or long-winded. She imagined that was what Castform was trying to tell her too. It would be a challenge to learn about someone who didn?t speak the same language as you.

?Cast?? she said and Mari faced her. Castform was hovering closer to her and seemed concerned, almost worried.

?Oh!? Mari said. ?I?m sorry, I?m not upset at you, Castform.? She realized her blush and sudden silence could easily been interpreted by Castform as embarrassment caused by herself somehow. Then she smiled with irony inwardly. ?Maybe it won?t be so bad after all, we?re already learning to communicate pretty well.?

After a good hour and a half of walking, Mari plopped down onto the ground for a rest. Castform lay on the ground next to her, leaning on her knee. After a short rest, Mari stood up. She took a bottle of water out of her leather backpack and took a gulp. She quickly remembered, however, that she didn?t have any dishes for Castform.

?I could just squirt some in your mouth,? she suggested.

Castform shook her head and stretched her grey ?hands? out, taking the bottle from Mari. Taken by surprise, she relinquished the object to the Pokemon. Castform opened her mouth and leaned back, copying Mari by squeezing the bottle. A stream of water came out, and Castform gulped most of it down, though some did spray onto her face. She licked her lips free of excess water and handed the bottle back to Mari.

She accepted it, and looked in disbelief from the bottle to her Pokemon. ?Since when do you have thumbs??

Castform?s mitten-like hands had already retracted into her body, and she appeared to be greatly amused by Mari?s bewildered look.

Shrugging Mari said, ?OK, works for me.? She resumed walking down the road with Castform at her side. She reached around and opened a side pocket of her backpack, bringing out the PPD Ghilbee had given her. She selected the map function and quickly brought up the area they were in. A small blinking red dot identified their position on the map. ?Great! We?re about half way there!? She glanced at her watch, too. It was almost eleven. Hopefully they?d be in Slateport in time for lunch.

They traveled in silence for a time, until the quiet proved too loud for Mari to bear. ?You know, it?s never too early to start training.?

Nodding, Castform turned her attention to Mari.

?And, one of the simplest and best ways to train is just to run, or in your case, uh, float as fast as you can?? Mari paused a second and shook her head free of excess thought. ?I?m just gonna have to say ?run?, sorry, it?s just what I?m used to.? Castform smiled in amusement as Mari continued. ?Anyway, running helps you develop strength, speed, and endurance.? She paused again and thought. ?Well, I?m out of shape, you need the practice, and it would be nice to get to Slateport for lunch, so what do you say to running some of the way?? The Pokemon signaled her agreement. ?OK, then. First one to stop running is a rotten egg!? Mari took off running down the road. Castform was immediately curious about the ?rotten egg? comment, but did not take the time to ponder over it. She sped after Mari.

For Mari, there was something joyfully childish about running. It must have reminded her of all the childhood games of tag she had played, but in any case, she loved to run. The wind blew through her golden hair, and her muscles burned with accomplishment. She could hear Castform laughing with joy just behind her. ?Pokemon apparently enjoy races, too,? she thought.

Mari?s chest soon started to burn cold with panting, and she was considering stopping to catch her breath as Castform, though tired, didn?t appear to be half as bad as Mari. ?Stupid potato chips and soda,? she said to herself as she recalled her favorite study snack.

The were approaching the top of a hill when a small blue thing came running past them, catching Mari?s attention. She slowed down slightly looking after the blue thing when she heard Castform squeak and she looked in front of her. An angry Seviper leapt over the hill in front of Mari, and she dug her heels into the ground, but to no avail. She smacked into the hissing fanged snake, tumbling to the ground.

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
  • Chapter 6
    Mari leapt away from the serpent, but stumbled and fell back to the ground. Propping herself up on her elbows, adrenaline pulsed through her veins. Her eyes locked into the blood red eyes of the Seviper. It released a blood-curdling hiss, baring its large yellow fangs dripping with poison. Mari prepared herself to run with all her might as far away as she could from this place, but to her surprise the Pokemon bolted away down the road. It entwined its jet-black body around the small blue creature. Castform dashed behind her trainer and peeked out at the situation from behind her shoulder.

Frightened, but no longer in eminent danger, Mari organized her thoughts. The small blue spider Pokemon, a Surskit as she recalled, was what she had seen running past her just before the Seviper clashed with her. The Surskit must have been its goal, not her.

?Kendar, finish with Poison Tail!? said a female voice. Running over the hill where the two Pokemon had come from, a girl appeared.

The Seviper quickly released the Surskit from the coils of its body. The spider, obviously battered, began to run away. Its large triangular tail glowing deep purple, Seviper struck its opponent with its tail. The fight was over. Surskit was down.

?Good work, Kendar,? the girl said as she threw a Great Ball at Surskit. The ball collected Surskit up in its red light and did not let it go. Surskit was captured.

Walking over to pick up her new Pokemon, the girl also stroked Seviper?s neck. ?That was great! You?re getting better and better at this all the time!? Turning to Mari she said with an apologetic smile, ?Hi, sorry about Kendar scaring you like that. We didn?t know anyone else was up here.?

Releasing a breath she hadn?t realized she was holding, Mari replied, ?Oh, it?s okay. No harm done.? Glancing behind her at the unnerved Castform she added, ?Well, no physical harm anyway.?

The girl laughed. ?Again, sorry. I?m Atzie, and this guy is Kendar my Seviper.? She held out her hand.

Mari shook it. ?I?m Mari, and this is Castform.? She now made a better inspection of Atzie. She was somewhat short, though she appeared to be older than Mari. Her hair, however, made up for any lost body height. The roots and tips were bright blonde, but the majority was cherry red with a hint of yellow to better match the blonde. It was long, and arranged in several loose, long spikes that were held back by a hair band. The strips of hair went in all directions, giving it a fiery appearance. Her eyes were slightly darker than jade, and her bright clothes were matched only by her hair. She wore red cargo pants made of silky fabric and a white cotton short-sleeved shirt with the word ?STAR? printed on it in bold red. The vibrancy of her attire was sharply contrasted by a worn and faded camouflage print backpack, which looked sorely out of place.

Realizing she was staring, Mari blushed. ?I take it red is your favorite color??

Atzie laughed light-heartedly. ?It is this week.?

?Oh,? she laughed. Castform was still nervously looking out from behind her trainer, eyeing the Seviper and his trainer wearily. ?C?mon, Castform, say hi!? The Pokemon looked at Atzie and nodded, but her eyes drifted back to Seviper with uncertainty.

Mari pat her head and said to Atzie, ?She?s pretty shy, and your Seviper scared her. But she?ll get over it eventually.?

Nodding, she asked, ?You going to Slateport??

?Yeah.?

?Great! We can go together! It?s been awhile since I had companionship while traveling.? Kendar snorted at his trainer and she quickly added, ?Human companionship, that is.? Not waiting for a response, she turned around and walked for Slateport.

Taking a few running steps to catch up, Mari walked next to her. The large Seviper quietly traveled on the other side of Atzie. Castform was careful to be as far as she could from him.

Atzie still had her new Surskit?s Pokeball in her hand, and took a small device out of her backpack. It was similar to Mari?s PPD but was made of two joined circles like an eight, and the top circle was much smaller than the other. Atzie placed the Pokeball on the smaller circle and pressed several options on the screen of the larger. The Pokeball briefly glowed white, and disappeared.

?Whoa, what was that?? Mari inquired.

Atzie answered as she returned the device to her backpack. ?It?s a Mobile Pokeball Transportation Device. I can send Pokemon I just caught to anywhere in Hoenn without having to wait until I have access to a desktop computer.?

?Cool! Where did you send your Pokemon??

?To my Dad in Lilycove. He wants me to send him rare Pokemon so his staff can study them.?

?His staff?? Mari raised a eyebrow.

Laughing Atzie said, ?Maybe I should give you my full name. It?s Atzie Barrone.?

Searching for the meaning of the name, Mari thought in silence for a moment. ?Oh!? she suddenly exclaimed. ?As in Barrone Corp??

Atzie nodded. Barrone Corp was world-renowned as the producer of the Pokedex and countless other Pokemon essentials. ?I?m the president?s daughter.?

?Oh,? Mari?s eyes widened and he looked ahead, suddenly self-conscious of walking next to the daughter of one of the richest men in Hoenn.

?Now don?t get all weird on me,? Atzie laughed. ?I promise I don?t bite. I leave that to Kendar.? She gave her Pokemon a mischievous smile.

?Oh,? Mari left out a giggle of relief. ?Sorry, didn?t mean to. I just wasn?t expecting you to be?? she trailed off.

?A spoiled rich girl?? Atzie stared ahead cynically. ?I get that a lot.?

Embarrassed, Mari walked in silence. Unnoticed by Mari, Kendar glared at his trainer.

?Mm, sorry,? Atzie said in a strained tone. ?Didn?t mean to jump on you like that. I just get a lot of grief over it.?

?I can imagine,? Mari said.

?Form!? Castform squeaked and floated over to Atzie. She said a few more words in her Pokemon tongue and smiled consolingly.

Atzie brightened and gently pet Castform?s head. ?Thanks for your concern, little one. But it?s all good, I get loads of cool equipment from Daddy!?

Castform nodded with encouragement.

?Vipaah,? Kendar said to Castform. She shrank back to Mari at first, eyeing the snake. ?Sai?? he smiled at her. ?Cas?? she slowly approached him and after smelling him, she began to talk to him. Soon a conversation started.

?Looks like they?re starting to get along,? Atzie commented.

?Yeah, that?s good for her,? Mari said. ?I?m afraid when we get into the cities, much less the gyms, she?ll have a hard time dealing with the people and pressure.?

?She seems pretty young to me, I?m sure she?ll get over it. What is she, anyway? I?ve never seen anything like her.?

?She?s a Castform,? Mari replied. ?She?s a hybrid of several other Pokemon. Some scientists near Fortree made her.?

?Oh, yeah, I?ve heard of them. Daddy supplied them with lots of their equipment.?

?You sure seem to know a lot about his business. Do you work for him??

?More or less,? Atzie became serious. ?That?s actually why I?m here and not at home in Lilycove. Barrone Corp is always trying to improve their Pokedex and keep up with the latest needs and trends of the Pokemon world. So Daddy wants me to travel around and keep on top of what?s hot and what?s not, catching rare Pokemon to be studied as I go.?

?Wow, that?s a pretty broad job description.?

?True, but it?s fun, and it helps me see the different things that can be done with Pokemon. I haven?t a clue what I want to do with my life, so traveling is good for me to see what options I have.? Atzie trailed off in thought.

?Yeah,? Mari said. ?I know I want to train Pokemon, but there are still so many sub-fields of that. Type specialization, gym leader, policing, I really don?t know what I want to do either.?

?Hey, there?s Slateport,? Atzie pointed ahead of them. Below them past several hills and shrouded in mist from the sea was the city of Slateport. It glistened with lights and diluted sunlight. Skyscrapers reached up for the sky, while ocean water peppered with ships framed the sparkling metallic silhouettes.

?Alright! I can?t wait to hit the mall!? Mari exclaimed.

?Ooh, shopping spree?? said Atzie.

?Yup, I just left my school to collect the Hoenn Gym badges. I need to pick up supplies. My Mom gave me a gift card for clothes, too.?

?Awesome! Can I go with you? I?m really good at shopping for clothes! I am a spoiled rich girl, after all.?

?Yeah! It?s always more fun with company.?

They continued talking and soon arrived in Slateport.

?Ah, the greatest food in Hoenn!? Atzie said as she bit into her hot dog.

?Oh, yeah,? Mari said as she took hers from the street vendor. Castform and Seviper had Pokemon equivalents and were greedily chomping them down. ?Thanks for lunch,? she said stuffing her face.

?No problem! I owed you after Kendar scared you like he did.?

They soon finished their lunch and walked inside the Slateport mall, a multi-level shopping extravaganza. Kendar and Castform were returned to their Pokeballs, as the building was remarkably crowded.

?Where do you want to go first?? Atzie asked.

?Supplies. That is my priority,? Mari reminded herself. They walked into a large store called ?Pokemart International? at Atzie?s suggestion. Mari quickly saw why her new friend had suggested it. The store was huge. Cash registers lined up against the entire left wall, she could barely see the far wall and signs carefully categorized the different areas.

?Uh, Pokemon med supplies first?? Mari said and they walked into the area. In all, they spent nearly two hours in the store, acquiring every item the new trainer could possibly need. Food for Mari and her Pokemon, grooming supplies, training supplies, vitamins, and medical essentials were the highlights.

They also visited the TM and HM section. The shelves contained dozens of TMs and HMs.

?Well,? Mari said as she thoughtfully examined the move options, ?Castform?s current movepool is pretty limited. It?s all attacks, she needs something that gives her a strategic edge.?

Next to her Atzie said, ?Sounds right to me. Maybe Double Team? That?s a pretty nifty move.?

?Yeah, but that move requires more skill and experience than Castform has.?

?How long have you had her, anyway??

Mari wrinkled her nose. ?Um, about twenty-four hours now, I guess.?

Atzie whistled. ?I know you said you just graduated from Pokemon School, but a day??

?Heh, yeah. That?s why a TM would be really useful right now.? Grabbing a TM applicator she handed it to Atzie. ?Would you please get in line to check-out? I?m going to be just a minute longer.?

Guiding the cart full of items away Atzie mumbled in exasperation, ?Ugh! Would you just choose so we can go clothes shopping already?!?

Rolling her eyes Mari snatched the TM Attract disc and went after Atzie. After paying, Mari took what looked like a black squared Pokeball from her backpack. Out of it came a large container labeled ?CEIS Bin? in a flash of green light. ?Thank you, my dear beloved Daddy,? Mari said as she put her purchases in the bin and her backpack.

?Ain?t Pokeball technology great?? Atzie commented as Mari recalled the bin into its Pokeball-like holder.

The girls quickly made their way to the ?Fashion by Ami? store where Mari?s gift card could be used. Immersing themselves in the fashion hunt, they came out over an hour later with a comfortable, varied, and travel-friendly wardrobe. It consisted of khaki knickers, black cargo shorts, a short-sleeved green shirt with the word ?TRAINER? on it in black letters, a long-sleeved lavender shirt, a dark red short-sleeved shirt with black sketchy flowers printed on it, and a black water-proof jacket. Only the jeans and shoes she wore survived her old outfit. Changing into the green ?TRAINER? shirt, she threw away the white and blue Academy uniform shirt.

?Good riddance,? Mari said with satisfaction as she threw away the old shirt. ?Whaddaya wanna do now??

Glancing at her watch Atzie said, ?Well, actually, I have to catch a ship back to Lilycove in a little over an hour. Might as well head over to the harbor.?

?Oh,? Mari said with disappointment. ?I didn?t know you?d be leaving so soon.?

?Don?t worry! I travel around a lot. I?m sure we?ll bump into each other again. I?ll e-mail you. But we better get going.? Heading over to the docks, it was nearing sunset and the overcast sky began to change colors in preparation for the pre-night light show.

?So, where?re you headed? Atzie said after awhile.

?Tomorrow I want to take a ferry to Dewford. I?d like to get my first badge there, but I have a lot of training to do. Castform and I have never even battled together before.?

Atzie stopped walking and addressed Mari. ?Seriously??

?Yup.?

?Cool! Can I battle you?? Upon seeing Mari?s startled reaction she explained. ?Mari, your first battle is something you will never forget. It?s very special. I would consider it an honor and privilege to be your first opponent.?

A competitive spirit flared up in Mari?s heart and she agreed. ?Okay.?

?Great!? Atzie exclaimed. Looking around at all the people she said, ?Let?s find somewhere less crowded. There should be some quieter places over by the empty docks.

Mari followed Atzie as they headed closer to the water. Turning away from the beaten path they soon came to an area close to the water that had few people around. ?This look good to you?? Atzie asked.

?Mm-hm,? she responded. ?But first, I?d like to teach Castform the TM move I got her.?

?Okay,? Atzie agreed. ?Do you want to practice before we start??

?Nah, she can practice as she battles.? Mari released Castform from her Pokeball. ?Castform, I?m going to teach you a move using a TM. I want you to relax as much as you can, okay??

The Pokemon nodded.

?Good. Now, very suddenly a lot of information is going to flood into your mind. I want you to concentrate on that information, paying special attention to the actions you feel you can use, and associate it with the name of the move, which is Attract.

Castform nodded again and lowered herself closer to the ground as Mari kneeled on the stone floor. There was a chill in the air, and the grey sky was not encouraging.

Mari put her backpack on the ground and took out the TM applicator, the device that executed the function of TMs and HMs on the Pokemon. There was a square flat center that would hold the TM/HM disc. It was attached to three cords with smaller squares at their ends.

First putting the TM Attract disc in the large center square, she then placed that square on the top of Castform?s head and positioned the other three squares on the sides and back of her head. Castform stood perfectly still for the procedure and watched in curiosity.

?Ready?? Mari asked her.

The Pokemon steadied herself, relaxed her muscles, and signaled her readiness.

?Here we go,? she said as she slid a switch on the TM applicator, and Castform immediately flinched. Her eyebrows furrowed over closed eyes. Apparently under great stress, Castform breathed a sigh of relief after a moment.

Mari removed the device. ?Howya feel??

Smiling, Castform gained altitude until she was eye-level with Mari. ?Now keep it in your mind just a minute longer, okay? You don?t have to concentrate so hard this time, though.?

Nodding, Castform diverted her gaze into nothingness and became absorbed in thought.

?The first time is always the hardest,? Atzie interrupted, addressing Mari. ?It?ll get easier the more experienced she gets and the more often she learns through TMs.?

Mari nodded and before she could reply, Castform?s eyes met hers and she smiled. ?Casform cas!? the Pokemon said in her high, soft voice.

?Okay, you ready to put that move to the test in battle?? Mari asked. Her Pokemon nodded.

?Good,? Atzie interjected. ?Kendar, time to battle,? she said releasing her Seviper from his Pokeball.

Mari walked several feet away from her opponent, Castform standing in front of her ready to fight. The trainer nodded her readiness to Atzie.

Atzie nodded back. ?Kendar, Poison Tail!?

The battle began.

Back