• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first (FFC): Innocence

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Well, I might start doing the Fanfiction Challenge out of boredom now. I love writing oneshots, so... Here's one for the prompt "Birth". Oh, and note that it hints toward a little realization I had that the Togepi evolution line seems a lot like birds to me, so in this I kind of made them seem more "predatory". You'll get it when you read... And yes, I know, it isn't very long. Anyways~

---

It was time.​

She wasn't sure how she knew it, but she did, before a single crack or quiver split the egg's seemingly eternal motionless rest. It only took a moment for her to realize she had been woken by this odd feeling, a feeling she had experienced many times, yet still was amazed by it whenever it happened. The maternal shiver. The twitch of the soul that told her, It is time.

Not even the first hint of morning moisture was enough to distract her from her egg, her creation, her child. The penetrating eyes of a predatory creature softened and gave a tender gaze that seemed to caress the smooth, speckled surface. Those eyes watched for what could have been hours before finally, it began, all starting with a pitifully quiet chirplike sound and the slightest tremor of the egg.

As soon as a tiny piece was chipped off, a glorious aura was emitted. It was not visible, yet it hit like heartbeats into the mother's soul. It was an emotion of unmeasurable innocence, bright and pure, and a humble, helpless sense that could only live within a being which had not existed long enough to experience the cruel, torturous trials of life. Even as the shell of the egg continued to crackle apart, it pained her to know that before long this infinate purity would fade away into nothingness, without any way to prevent the cold hands of darkness, sorrow, and distress.

Her troubles were pushed aside as she witnessed the first view of her child. It was a small beak, whiter than snow, incredibly sharp, as it had never been used to peirce anything other than a few thin bits of the egg's shell. Her whole body was tense, and she didn't notice how her claws twitched or how not a single breath came to her lungs. All was silent, save for the weak and whimpering little chirps that the beak was releasing.

A larger space of broken shell materialized over the hard surface, and from this pushed the rest of the head, in a quite sudden manner. Of all the things she could have noticed before the rest, such as the creamy, cloud-colored feathers that formed a large crest on its head, or the tiny size of it in comparrison to the remainder of the egg, one thing stood out to her, and one thing alone. This was his eyes. They were small and black, holding a very faint hint of blue around the almost unseeable pupils, and caught what little light there was to reflect back an image of nothing but innocence. The very same innocence that had hit her before, but now she could see it with her own eyes, which were by this point in life far more mature and experienced than his. He stared at her for a moment, and she stared at him, and in that second or so the bond between them was formed. He knew she was his mother, and she knew he was her son. Never, no matter what, would there be any question or doubt about that. Such an undeniable certainty was to be cherished in a world where things could always be so decieving.

He let out an instinctual cry, giving her such a helpless look from those wonderful eyes, needing her and her warmth and her presence. Upon hearing this, she pushed herself forward without hesitation and did the thing that all mothers of Togepi must do for their new hatchlings. With perscision to put a surgical worker to shame, she began tearing open the egg's shell, ever so gently, yet just strongly enough to crack it open where she needed to. By the time she was finished, there were four open holes from which the hatchling could push out his down-covered arms and scaley feet. He gazed at her again, but already his eyelids were giving way to the powerful craving for sleep. The mother made a soft cooing sound and shuffled up beside him, curling his small body into the protection of one of her great and powerful wings.

"Innocence shall be your name, my child," she whispered just for him to hear, "For you are softer and purer than any being who has ever roamed this land..."

Yet deep within, she knew that his soft nature would cease to exist in time. Every creature is born with it, and upon birth every creature has the potential to be anything. It is the world that forms them into what they are, and what they are destined to become, yet with every bit of effort it takes into sculpting its creation, it wears away a bit of the childish purity that exists within us all.

Fearing for her son out of mere emotions, the mother pulled him closer, and whispered a few more words into his ear. She would try to shield him from the cruelty of the world, but she also knew that there was no escape from fate; despite any efforts she or anyone else could possibly make to protect his gentle being, the world had forces that would act upon him and break through her barriers, and there could be absolutely no escape from the destruction of... innocence.

Back