• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen i have a term question...

.emerald

☆ + ♥
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    ok, i just wanted to brush up on my poke terms cause i see you guys are typing terms i cant understand!!(i dont know if it is the right forum-(GBA))what is an uber, wall & sweeper, finisher?
    if common knowledge serves me right... walls are hard pokemon which you put in the first or second slot like wailord, blissey & the regis, while sweepers are fast pokemon that get the job done like heracross, alakazam & starmie, ubers are legends?(i dont know?)
    while finishers are powerful pokemon.
    did i get those all right???

Years
  • You are kind of right about walls, they are defensive pokemon have have either good defense, special defense, or HP stats.

Not all legends are ubers, they are just a list of pokemon not allowed in standard battling because of their unfair advantages.

o.necromancer.o

(Insert Something Random)
    Years
    • Age 31
    • ?
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    And sweepers usually have a high speed and attack or sp. att stat and a powerful moveset.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND, BABY, RIGHT ROUND LIKE A RECORD SPIN RIGHT AROUND-ROUND
    YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND, BABY, RIGHT ROUND LIKE A RECORD SPIN RIGHT AROUND-ROUND

STOP IT!!!! your just desperate!!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Dragonite, Salamence, Tyranitar, Garchomp and Metagross I believe have 600 base stats exactly while Slaking has 670 and Regigigas also has 670, off the top of my head they are the only pokemon wiht base stats of over 600 which arent considered uber

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Err... most of these definitions are flawed.

Uber: A Pokemon that is said to have an unfair advantage over other Pokemon. These Pokemon can be considered too strong. Base Stat Total is not the efficient way to judge a Pokemon upon Uber status. You have to see it's movepool, abilities, and the potential that it can do to harm other Pokemon. The competetive battling is separated into 4 different groups, Underused(Pokemon that aren't too powerful and show little use), Borderline(Pokemon that really are OU, but fell. This is still considered in the overused tier), Overused(Pokemon who have great potential over most Pokemon, but aren't excessively stockpiled with power), Uber(Pokemon that are plainly too strong for Overused and below). In conclusion, all Ubers have a base stat total of 600+ except for Wobbuffet, though numerous base 600 stat total Pokemon fell to Overused. The only Pokemon that has a base stat total higher than 600 and isn't uber is Slaking and Regigigas, which fell because of its terrible ability.

Wall: A Pokemon who can withstand numerous attacks and set up or status the opponent effectively. Walls put an end to sweepers. Examples include Blissey, which can take a special hit extremely well.

Sweeper: A Pokemon who's main goal is to deal the most damage possible and outspeed the opponent, though most are very frail and thus usually require a good speed stat. Examples include Weavile, which deals a lot of damage in its STAB moves after a Swords Dance.

Finisher: A Pokemon that is mostly mentioned in a BatonPassChain Team. It is the last Pokemon you see, and if the chain is succesful, it will be able to deal a huge amount of damage while still standing a huge amount of hits. If the BP Chain is pulled off correctly, the Pokemon is nearly impossible to stop.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Dragonite, Salamence, Tyranitar, Garchomp and Metagross I believe have 600 base stats exactly while Slaking has 670 and Regigigas also has 670, off the top of my head they are the only pokemon wiht base stats of over 600 which arent considered uber

Uber is not decided by stats. Regigigas and Slaking for example, are both BL or lower due to their sucky abilities. It is about the poke as a whole.

But yeah, the above poster has it all covered. "Finisher" is not a widely used category, since concentrating on setting up a massive BP chain is often wrecked by a phazer or an unexpected KO. Passers will usually benefit multiple pokes on a team.

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
  • Tank: A pokemon that can recieve a hard hits from both types of attack (physical, and special) and can return the favor (deal a massive hit back).

Back