• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recommended animes to watch

solopy567

Giga....Drill....BREAKER! !!!!
    Years
    I'm very bored, and I'm looking for some animes to watch to get over that boredom, but I want to see the animes that everyone recommends to watch as good animes.

I prefer action animes and short animes, but any would do fine, EXCEPT Yaoi and Hentai
    To be more specific, I like Mecha anime and Horror anime which are also short and no Yaoi/Hentai

Please do not recommend the following animes as I've already watched them:
    Elfen Lied
    Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
    Kannazuki no Miko
    R.O.D The TV
    Strawberry Panic
    Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Claymore
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Steel Angel Kurumi
    Pani Poni Dash
    Genshiken
    Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori (Hell Girl for short)
    Heroic Age
    xxxHolic
    Spiral- Bonds of reasoning
    Ah! My Goddess
    Shakugan no Shana
    Gunbuster
    Higurashi no naku koro ni
    Hayate no Gotoku
    Diebuster

Series on hold:
    Code Geass ( More episodes need to be released)

Series currently being watched:
    Looking for some

Dropped series (stopped watching after a while):
    Sailor moon (Was horrible, refused to watch)
    Tokyo Mew Mew (Ripoff of Sailor moon, even more horrible)

Series I refuse to watch due to length or I just dont like them:
    One Piece
    Naruto
    Sailer Moon
    Tokyo Mew Mew

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    A few that I really liked were Vandread (and Vandread: Second Stage) and The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk. Both of these are by the publisher GONZO, and contain a pleasant mix of action and humor. Druaga can be found on youtube, I'm not sure where to find Vandread (I saw it on a cable channel a year back).

Last edited:

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Just a few faves:

• Tengen Toppa Gurren Langann (action)
    • Ikki Tousen (action)
    • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai (action, thriller, horror)
    • Kyou no Go no Ni (comedy, slice of life)
    • Lucky Star (comedy, slice of life)
    • Azumanga (comedy, slice of life)
    • Paranoia Agent (thriller)
    • xxxHOLiC (horror, comedy, slice of life, supernatural, mystery, drama, fantasy, psychological)
    All of these are under 30 episodes (except xxxHOLiC), Kyou no Go no Ni being the shortest with only 4, but they're all equally good imo.

Years
    Just a few faves:

• Tengen Toppa Gurren Langann (action)
    • Ikki Tousen (action)
    • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai (action, thriller, horror)
    • Paranoia Agent (thriller)
    • xxxHOLiC (horror, comedy, slice of life, supernatural, mystery, drama, fantasy, psychological)
    All of these are under 30 episodes (except xxxHOLiC), Kyou no Go no Ni being the shortest with only 4, but they're all equally good imo.

I'll second those two bolded ones. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is my favourite anime, and it's only 27 episodes I think.

Another two that might interest you are Air and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Keep in mind it's just Air, and not Air Gear.

As for longer anime that I love I'd recommend Bleach, but there's probably around 170+ episodes. XD;

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Just a tiny question....whats the slice of life genre?
    They're just series that focus on the everyday activities of characters. Some parts may be a little bit exciting, but on the whole they're just easy paced. That said, Lucky Star will bore your socks off, particularly if you prefer action, so stay away from it.

Anyway, if you want action then you'd probably be up for most any shounen series. I recommend One Piece (it's a long running series though), Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Claymore, Fate/Stay Night, Hellsing Ultimate and Afro Samurai. There are plenty of other series out there though, just take the time to look around.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If you want to watch a war and don't want to spend ages doing it, try Utawarerumono, it's 26 episodes long and has a fight in practically every episode. You may need to read some backstory (which can ideally still be found on Wikipedia) to understand the ending, though.

I don't know why you even suggested those, comedy is not action and vice versa. o_O

Years
    If you want to watch a war and don't want to spend ages doing it, try Utawarerumono, it's 26 episodes long and has a fight in practically every episode. You may need to read some backstory (which can ideally still be found on Wikipedia) to understand the ending, though.

[/LIST]
    I don't know why you even suggested those, comedy is not action and vice versa. o_O

He said he preferred action, but ANY is fine...

Anyways, Death Note is a pretty eventful anime, and there's loads of action in it \o/

deadmuffin

the tenacious demon
    Years
    I'll second those two bolded ones. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is my favourite anime, and it's only 27 episodes I think.

Another two that might interest you are Air and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Keep in mind it's just Air, and not Air Gear.

As for longer anime that I love I'd recommend Bleach, but there's probably around 170+ episodes. XD;

hey, whats wrong with Air Gear, its good as well. yea everyone has recomended good anime...fullmetal alchemist just in case no one has named it.

Years
    hey, whats wrong with Air Gear, its good as well. yea everyone has recomended good anime...fullmetal alchemist just in case no one has named it.

I never said anything was wrong with it, I was just making a point to show that there's two anime that start with "Air" and the one I'm recommending to him is just called Air, and not Air Gear.

Code Geass isn't a very long anime, and it's also good if you like mecha and action.

deadmuffin

the tenacious demon
    Years
    lol sorry, didnt intend on sounding angry. but yea, Genshiken is good, but not too actiony as it is otaku nerd funny. But FLCL is awesome as well

Asura Nirosuki

Shes a good person~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2014
    For this year:
    Blassreiter
    Macross Frontier
    Code Geass
    Gunslinger Girl
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00

solopy567

Years
    Thank you everyone!

I just finished watching a bunch of animes you guys recommended, and I'll surely watch more
    The animes I finished are:
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Claymore
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

They were Uber pwnage, especially Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann......It was epicness
    Thanks guys! Please post more!

deadmuffin

the tenacious demon
    Years
    YES Gurren Lagann is AMAZING...i wish they would bring it on DVD sooner, its coming out july 8th i think, but only in subs....dubs are next year (It doesnt make much sense) but yea "origins:spirits of the past" is a good one and so is "Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi" (not the best tho)

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Pani Poni Dash! (not much action but it's too awesome for your pants)
    Baccano!
    Gintama
    Kurenai
    Mnemosyne (yuri!)

Yea these are good. There are others but some already mentioned… plus if you just like your action then, the others I'd recommend wouldn't be "action".

solopy567

Years
    Thanks everyone!
    I finished watching Pani Poni Dash.....It was special i can say

I began watching Utawarerumono, however Youtube nor any other site i know of has it in Jap with English subs....I only managed to watch until episode 15 but thats it...If anyone knows where i can watch the rest, please pm me

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Well, I have some anime that could possibly be entertaining, be warned I watch a lot of extremely long anime
    Inuyasha
    Bleach
    Naruto
    Rave Master, if you can find it anywhere.
    Yugioh Gx or 5Ds
    Death Note
    Nagasarete Airantou, very funny,

Thats all I could really think of at the moment but most of them are very long, almost endless, anime. This thread is very helpful to me too, I am about to go watch Pani Poni Dash.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Some I can think of would have to be:
    Itazura na kiss (Romance, Comedy)
    Code Geass (Action, alternate history, Mech WARNING: PRODUCT PLACEMENT)
    Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle: (Action, Drama, the crossover story to xxxHolic)
    Nabari no ou (Action, Comedy)
    Macross Frontier (Mech, Music, comedy, Action, Drama)
    Shakugan no shana (Great supernatural, Action, Slice of life anime)
    Kaiji (psychological gaminging anime)
    ...with that said Akagi...
    That's all I can think of right now.

Back