• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: New spoiler tags don't always work for me

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    As much as I love the concept of the new spoiler system, it doesn't work on my computer. Or, rather, it only works part of the time. Sometimes when I click the button, it simply doesn't open up. Left click, right click, twenty-times-in-a-row click, pounding-in-frustration-click... doesn't open. I have that issue on maybe... half the spoilers. No less than half of the spoilers. And any spoiler that's included inside of another quote is pretty much guaranteed to not work. So I've lost access to huge chunks of the posts on PC.

It's undoubtedly an issue with my computer/browser: I've got an Intel-based Mac and visit PC on Safari version 3.2.1, and Safari is probably being petulant. Since there isn't a thread about this (and since on a forum this big I'm probably not the only one having trouble) I thought I'd point it out.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Seems Safari is causing this because they work on Firefox and Chrome (too lazy to try IE).

Apple has released a Beta of Safari 4, so I would suggest you downloading that and at least trying it.
    Other than that, I would also recommend you clearing your cookies and cache (private data, basically). Safari might've cached something wrong, you never know.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It's done the same thing with me before, only once or twice, though.. I just figured it was my computer.

I have IE, though.. >_>;

ckret2

Years
    I found a temporary work-around that helps, at least in the short term.

If you click on a "Show Content" button and it doesn't open, go down to the Quick Reply box, click on "Go Advanced," and then scroll down to all the replies listed below and look for the button that didn't work in the original thread. Sometimes it'll open if you click on it there instead.

Also, for MOST spoilers, if you click on the "quote" button at the bottom of a post, it will, naturally, open up the spoiler in the "reply to thread" box, although all you see is a bunch of tags rather than whatever formatting, images, videos, etc. were inside the original spoiler.

This doesn't, however, work on spoilers-within-other-quotes, since if you quote a normal post, only the new comment is retained; outside of PMs, I don't think there's a way to get PC to automatically allow quotes-within-quotes when you click on the "quote" button. This isn't much of a problem, as far as I can tell, except in places like the ROM Hacking script help threads, where one person will put their glitched-up script inside a spoiler, someone else will quote their post, correct whatever's wrong with the script, and then post the corrected script inside a spoiler-within-a-quote.

Anyway, there are two workarounds until someone finds the root of the problem, and either it gets fixed or we all decide to switch browsers.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Spoilers not opening properly happened to me with the old ones too. I just assumed my net connection was messing up. I just restarted the connection and the browser…

I haven't encountered any on the new ones though.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021906 Firefox/3.0.7

ckret2

Years
    Wrong. The issue occurs when there is more than one spoiler on the page, actually. The first spoiler responds, while any after won't.

Is that what does it? Thanks for the info, glad to know there's a pattern to it. And now I think about it, yeah, that's the experience I'd had, too.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Considering that I just encountered the same problem in Google Chrome, I doubt that Safari alone is to blame.

Problem Solved for Google Chrome, Solution: change update mode to developer mode and then update. Should work like a charm.

Unfortunately with Safari, this is a serious problem, though I haven't had enough time to test it out on my friends Macbook and find a solution. I can confirm there is a problem.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Problem Solved for Google Chrome, Solution: change update mode to developer mode and then update. Should work like a charm.

How do you do that? I'm getting the spoiler tag problem and I don't want to go back to IE

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    >.< I dun liek. >.<

Anyway, how DO you do that thingo with the Chrome and stuff?

Oh, and is it just me, or does the tag still say Show Content after it's opened?

Back