• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen All is Not Quiet on the RNG Front

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    So... most of you know who actually care about intense IV breeding know about RNG abuse. If not, then visit here. Now that we've got that settled, I've some news:
    A friend of mine on Smogon, Clawed Nyasu, has provided some great insight about alternate ways to RNG abuse. I'll paste it here, so if there are any problems involving who it is aimed at (ie. You, not one, or you all, or anything else), that's why.

Now, on the IV abuse front (I'll post these in quote tags for now but if there are any complaints I will put them in Code tags):

I've also figured out a few things that help me, but these would assume an already basic knowlege of the RNG terms, like delay, frame, ect.

- I know most of the tutorials say that you should input a range of delays into the Time Finder, but I much prefer to just figure out one single Delay and search for that. For instance, I can hit 622 over 50% of the time, so I don't bother with any other delay value. Figure out your most common value, and you'll save yourself a lot of time.

To start, simply save in front of an egg (random egg even, if you just wanna test values and such.) and SR at the top of a minute. Mash A, pick up the egg, ect. Then go fly somewhere and catch a high level Poke. Enter its IVs into RNG Reporter's Seed Finder. It should tell you what second you hit continue, and what your Delay was. So click that seed and hit Generate, with the drop-down menu set to "Breeding, DPPt" Hatch the egg and locate its IVs on the list that shows up. It should be within the first 10. You might not even have to level up the baby. For instance, when I breed Riolus, I know that if it has an HP stat of 12, or defenses of 6, those IVs are over 20. Picking out little patterns like this can save time.

This was the first groundbreaking moment for me. Call me newbish, but I was stunned at my first sight of it correctly predicting a hatchling's IVs. I also recommend this as a way of starting cause it is VERY reassuring when new.

Repeat this a couple times until you know your most common Delay, and know what your Frame is likely locked in at.

- Omega Donut helped me with this a lot: the Journal. Most of the guides say that after you get done calibrating, and change the time to the date of the desired spread, the journal will mess up your frame, and you will have to resave. This is not the case:

-While calibrating, and repeatedly picking up the egg to check your frame, I find it helpful to do this on a DS date which has the journal show up to begin with. If there is a "captured/defeated [pokemon]" on the first page, your frame will have been +2 what it normally would be. Otherwise, it does not affect anything at all.

So, supposing, your just testing frames/delays and not really going for an IV spread yet. During this phase, the journal automatically pops up with a capture on the first page, and you find that your egg usually hatches with Frame 8 IVs. You can assume that, had the journal not been popping up, you would have gotten Frame 6. So, you decide to look for a good IV spread with the time finder--you can look for any spread with a frame divisible by 2, and the reason for that is: each time you flip to a journal page with capture/defeated it will add 2 more to your frame (3, if you have a running Legend out...those guys trip the frame up).

So, say I want to go for an IV spread on Frame 16. My Frame is still locked in at 8 from before. I change the DS date to the time of my desired spread and SR at the top of the minute. The journal pops up with a capture still on the first page. If I cancel out now, my Frame will likely be 8, but I want 16. So I flip to the second page, which doesn't have a capture, so nothing happens. Back to the first = +2. Just switch pages until you rack up +2 to the value you want (in this case, flip to the second page and back 4 times, then press Start.) Take your time, as it doesn't matter how long it takes. Mash A, pick up the egg, go catch a Poke, enter its IVs in, get the Seed... Even if the Delay was wrong, I'd hatch the egg anyway, just to test if I got Frame 16 or not.

- This is maddening. Sometimes I will hatch an egg and the Frame will be +1 of where I want it to be. I hate this. I try to save in front of the egg with the Buneary right after it has turned to the right. I believe that every time it switches direction, the Frame goes up by 1, but I have not confirmed this. Either way, don't save right when it is about to switch direction.
    And, in case any of you are tired with tapping the Happiness App. thousands of times:

Most of the Shiny guides suggest that you save somewhere with high-level pokemon, and 5 party members with you, Soft Reset, catch a Poke to find your seed, and then Generate a list of all Shiny PID's that will be created for that seed. This would drive me insane. 90% of the time, your current seed will have no good Shiny natures that you want at the moment, or it will have the wrong ability for what you want to breed, or the Frame will be HUGE and require a billion Happiness Checker taps.

Before even starting, get a word document open cause you'll wanna keep a record of things. Open the Time Finder and input your most common delay. Not a range. Just one. Hopefully one that you've gotten a lot of times while calibrating in the past. Put in an arbitrary date and frame (it doesn't matter since the date of the egg's creation is irrelevant. Once the egg is "locked in" as shiny, you'll wanna change the date anyway and reset for good IVs on it.)

Now, using this, you should be able to generate a boatload of random seeds. Now, go to DPPt Egg PID on the main window, put a seed into the blank and hit generate. (With the Shiny Only box checked.)

Do that one after another for as many seeds as you want. See a Nature you like? Copy it down, along with the seed (also take note of things like ability and gender.) RNG reporter 5.0 has a cool dex that says every Pokemon's ability 0 and 1). You can afford to be picky--don't accept anything with a frame over 5000. In as little as 15 mins, you should have a pretty substantial list. This list should sustain you for as many breeding projects as you have in the future, even if you're like me (I don't want any of my Pokes to have the same PID.)

Now, you can breed pretty much any Shiny you want, whenever you want in the future, without having to SR until you find a good seed. When you ever want to use one of the seeds, just throw the seed into the "Seed to Time," find a random date that has your typical seconds, and SR to hit it. Since the seed has your best delay, you should always hit it within 3-4 tries.

And from there, it's the same as the guides say. Make sure you start with 5 Pokes in your party, and with the Poketch on number 5. When you've caught a sixth random poke and know you've hit the right seed, right click on the shiny spread and see how many times you need to tap applications 6 and 15. It should never be more that 500 taps (which takes about 20 mins.) Once you get done with the taps, fly to Solaceon, save, and pick up the egg to verify the Shiny! Now that the egg is "locked in" as Shiny, you can SR for its IVs, and likewise, use the RNG IV method to get perfect stats.

I like this because it saves the frustration of having to SR a billion times to get a seed with the nature you currently want, or find that you get a good nature/ability for some other Poke that you're not ready to breed yet. It also lets you be much more picky about the Frame.
    Anyways, this may well go to a sticky or something along that lines, as I believe that RNG Abuse is a technique PC cannot well ignore.

Back