• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Team Possible on Fire Red?

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently playing Pokemon Fire Red. I'm wondering if you guys could help me with a superamazingkickass team that I can stick with until the Elite Four and beyond. I chose a Charmander as my starter, and I plan on keeping him, unless you guys think switching to Arcanine would be better. I looked up Gameshark cheats and caught myself a Lapras (just because I didn't want to wait until the scientist gives me one later on in game), it's currently level four and I'm only in Viridian city.

So I have fire and water down, I'm thinking about using a Pikachu/Raichu (another question - which level should I evolve it at? I know you have to wait a bit) for the electric part, and possibly a Gengar when I reach Lavender town. That leaves a few more - should I go with grass and ground? How about a flying type? I usually use Pidgeot and my starter along with others, but I want to switch it up this time.

Just a note - I'd prefer you not recommend any legendary Pokemon unless you think that they're really the best choice. If you could also include the best possible movesets, that'd be great.

I need suggestions before I get too far into the game!

Last edited:

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    In plain-old-ordinary Red I typically use Dodrio for my flyer and Jolteon, if anything, for my Electric.

Remember that Lapras covers Ice as well, and Ice is awesome. You can take out virtually anything with a good Lapras. Or Exeggutor.

Last edited:

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I recommend catching a Diglett/Dugtrio in Diglett's cave. Will come in handy against Surge. And definetely use the Lapras given to you in Sliph Co. Ice Beam will own Lance in the E4. For a flying-type, Charizard can also cover that, since it can learn Fly. Pikachu/Raichu is a good Electric choice. I'd recommend to wait till LV50 to evolve Pikachu, since it learns it's final move, Light Screen, at LV50. Pikachu is recommended, since you'll have a hard time with Misty with Charmander as your starter.

If you can trade, then I recommend using Alakazam as well. It's one of the best Psychics in the game. I think only Mewtwo surpasses it, stat-wise. Or you could do an in-game trade and get the Mr. Mime from a person in a house on Route 2. You need an Abra for this trade and you have to go through Diglett's Cave to get to the house.

I also recommend Snorlax since it's a good sustainer and it can take a hit or three.

My suggested team/movesets:

Charizard...Flamethrower, Slash, Fly, Fire Blast
    Lapras...Ice Beam, Surf, Confuse Ray, Body Slam
    Dugtrio...Slash, Earthquake, Dig, Rock Slide
    Raichu...Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Double Team, Slam
    Alakazam...Psychic, Calm Mind, Recover, Psybeam
    Snorlax...Rest, Body Slam, Strength, Snore

If you can't trade for Alakazam, then use Mr. Mime.

Mr. Mime's moveset: Psychic, Magical Leaf, Encore, Psybeam

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
    Years
    I'd recommend Substitute over Encore for Mr. Mime. Also, I'd suggest a dual-type Ground-type, personally Nidoking. Charizard, however can learn Earthquake to get a Ground-type move, but I'm not sure what else to suggest apart from maybe Scyther. Snorlax is good, as is Persian. Persian works well in FireRed to "soften up" the opponent with moves like Fake Out, Toxic and Screech. Lapras can also learn Psychic in case you don't want to use Alakazam/Mr. Mime for some reason. XD Alakazam can also learn Shadow Ball to take out Ghost-types, and that could replace either Recover or Psybeam. Recover on an Alakazam... doesn't make sense to me. It's defense is SOOO low, so I don't see the point. One last thing: Grass-types! I know that other than Venusaur there is no very good Grass-type in FireRed (Victreebel would be good if you were playing LeafGreen), but think about it. If you go with the `Psychic on Lapras, no Alakazam/Mr. Mime´ strategy, you could replace it with Exeggutor, though Lapras would then have no real use for Psychic. XD Hope this helps.

Back