• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rain Dance Team

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    Hey, this is my first competitive team, and I'm heavily relying on Smogon because I don't understand everything yet. xD.

So, here's my Rain Dance Team, I'm open to almost all suggestions

Rain Dance Team

Ambipom @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - Baton Pass
    - Agility
    - Double Hit
    - Rain Dance

Rain Dance Team

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    - Surf
    - Energy Ball
    - Ice Beam
    - Rain Dance

Rain Dance Team

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - ThunderPunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Thunder

Rain Dance Team

Kingdra @ Damp Rock
    EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
    Nature: Adament
    - Rain Dance
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Outrage

Rain Dance Team

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Thunder
    - Rain Dance
    - Surf
    - Recover

Rain Dance Team

Kabutops @ Life Orb
    EVs: 172 Atk / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
    Nature: Rash
    - Surf
    - Aqua Tail
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor

Last edited:

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    ok, so i think ludicolo and luxray are great choices
    as for the others, i don't think you should have 5 water types on your team even if it is a raindance team. you also need a lead
    for a lead, ambipom might work

also, i'm assuming this is OU so you could replace floatzel with something that has a similar role but is stronger, like kingdra

for luxray, if you wanna keep your 30% chance of paralyzing, you should just have discharge rather than spark. it's basically a stronger version of spark
    instead of t-bolt, you should have thunder since rain gives thunder 100% accuracy

also, i think too many of your pokemon are life orbed
    you can use expert belt or something else, but it's up to you

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    ok, so i think ludicolo and luxray are great choices
    as for the others, i don't think you should have 5 water types on your team even if it is a raindance team. you also need a lead
    for a lead, ambipom might work

Lol, Luxray and Ludicolo were the ones I was most certain in, the rest I wasn't sure about.

also, i'm assuming this is OU so you could replace floatzel with something that has a similar role but is stronger

Okay, so Floatzel out. -nods-

for luxray, if you wanna keep your 30% chance of paralyzing, you should just have discharge rather than spark. it's basically a stronger version of spark
    instead of t-bolt, you should have thunder since rain gives thunder 100% accuracy

I...totally forgot that Rain Dance gave Thunder 100% accuracy. Thanks. XD.

also, i think too many of your pokemon are life orbed
    you can use expert belt or something else, but it's up to you

Yeah, I was feeling the same too...thanks again.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    glad i could help ^-^

idk if you saw my edit, but you could replace floatzel with kingdra

and if you decide to include ambipom, i'm just gonna point out that it can also learn rain dance xD

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    I didn't see your edit, but I still replaced Floatzel with Kingdra. XD.

Oh, I didn't see that. Lol.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    nice improvements ^-^

i noticed rapid spin on starmie just now
    i don't think you necessarily need that since stealth rocks don't really pose as a major threat to any of your pokes
    you could change it to surf or something

EDIT: maybe have damp rock on ambipom rather than kingdra

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Why use Rain Dish instead of Swift Swim if Ludi is a sweeper? And, Stealth Rock would be good to have somewhere on the team so you can still weaken Gyara, Mence, etc. if the rain ends. It also helps score KOs (i.e. guaranteeing that Surf will faint CB Scizor, which is has a pretty big chance of surviving). A bulky supporter could replace Ambipom or Luxray, both being pretty poor honestly. Zong or Jirachi (fit SR > U-turn or Wish) would fit best in your team. Remember though, using Jirachi leaves you with a slightly bigger Dragon weakness since it's vulnerable to EQ.

Lux is outclassed by Vire tbh, stronger moves, better Speed, and such, the only thing it doesn't have is Intimidate. And even then, Jolt or Raikou performs better than Vire imo, but really depends on you I guess. Lum Berry, Life Orb, or maybe Leftovers should be used instead of Damp Rock for Kingdra personally, it usually won't be supporting the rest of the team, more like itself so it could use something that lets it possibly set up another DD or extra power. Though, I think you should give mixed Kingdra a try.

Thunder > Thunderbolt on Starmie (the only issue is if the rain ends), and Surf > Rapid Spin because your team doesn't have much problems with SR (and Toxicroak absorbs TSpikes). Plus, having STAB, the ability to beat Scizor and Tar, and checking Gyara is much more useful imo. I would suggest something that is more reliable at checking Gyara, but Starmie helps with Infernape whenever rain leaves. Poison Jab or Ice Punch > SD on Toxicroak, assuming that was a typo lol.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    For a rain-dance team, a Manaphy is an epic team member (It's rare, so Phione will work). It has an ability called "Hydration" which removes all status ailments when it is raining, even self-inflicted ones, making rest an epic move, fully healing the Pokemon without the sleeping drawback.

And Kindra's a good choice, it's Dragon-type bonus means the only move super-effective against it are dragon moves, it also has the highest combined stats of all non-legendry Pokemon.

Years
    Starmie doesn't look like it's doing too much here beyond merely spinning; if you are intent on having a spinner then maybe have something that can set up as well (maybe Forry running a typical set like Tspikes, Explosion, Gyro ball, Rapid Spin). Otherwise, another rain member that works well is Bronzong, who is quite solid and capable of setting up dual screens.

Also, why is Ambipom holding Lum? He's quite a fast poke and since it looks like the main priority on him is to get rain up, I think he'd be better off with a damp rock. In addition, he seems to be more suited to the lead spot because of his quickness (might consider moving those defence EVs to speed). You should be able to set up while also preventing yourself from getting taunted. That said... Aero stops you cold. What's your plan with dealing with a standard lead Aero?

Oh, and Ludicolo definitely wants Swift Swim over Rain Dish. In the rain, you'll be able to outspeed neutral nature +1 base 100s and that's quite crucial considering you're running him as a sweeper.

Last edited:

JojoX2

Medicham Fan *Chammy ftw*
    Years
    @Grifspark Manaphy is Uber and Phione is weak. They won´t help.

@Team If this is OU, Luxray is definitely not the thing to use. It may have Intimidate, but other than that, it´s no good(no good physical STAB + poor Speed). I don´t know which role he should play, but as far as Thunder abuse goes, Electivire would do great, as its Motor Drive would be really helpful. Jolteon is also great in that concern and both could block electric attacks, Wolflare said it, basically.

Choice Band is not THAT helpful on SD Groak ;) Change that for Life Orb, if you really want to use him.

Also, I don´t think Ludicolo makes a good Lead(especially with Rain Dish). Bronzong or Crobat can set up rain pretty well and Crobat can even taunt other leads.

Starmie really needs other moves. Put Surf over Spin(you won´t need it) and Thunder over Thunderbolt. Starmie shouldn´t be without a reliable STAB move.

Pokemafia

I'm using Kyogre-Abilities maes it constantly rain, along with a Raindish Ludicolo, I use a rain dish one:
    Spoiler:

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    Updated team, Replaced Luxray with Electivire, and Toxicroak with Kabutops, and made Ambipom my lead.

Switched out a couple moves too.

You guys have been a great help. :]. If you guys could help me out a bit more I'd be even more grateful.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    For a rain-dance team, a Manaphy is an epic team member (It's rare, so Phione will work). It has an ability called "Hydration" which removes all status ailments when it is raining, even self-inflicted ones, making rest an epic move, fully healing the Pokemon without the sleeping drawback.
    Manaphy's a uber and, if you haven't noticed, this is an OU team.

And Kindra's a good choice, it's Dragon-type bonus means the only move super-effective against it are dragon moves, it also has the highest combined stats of all non-legendry Pokemon.
    Last time I checked, Slaking isn't legendary. Neither is Metagross, Garchomp, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Arcanine, Togekiss, Magmortar, Blissey, Electivire, Gyarados, Snorlax or Milotic which all have equal or higher BSTs.

OT: Just a question, but why does Ambipom run SWIFT of all things? Ambipom has a horrible Sp. Att and Swift does nothing for it. If you want an attack, go with Double Hit or Fake Out as a lead.

Insane85

Bored
    Years
    I'm using Kyogre-Abilities maes it constantly rain, along with a Raindish Ludicolo, I use a rain dish one:

Kyogre is uber, this team is not uber.

Kingdra is a fantastic choice, it's arguably the best swift swimmer there is. It can tear teams to shreds when going well.

myrrh25

New account soon.
    Years

Wrong, Kingdra is outclassed stat-wise by quite a few non-legendaries, Slaking being the best example at 670 base stat.

Back