• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

moohasart

moments.

quixotic
Years
Having not touched Photoshop since August, this is my official return to graphics and can hopefully churn out ridiculous amounts of hopefully decent bits of art.

tags

pigeon.png

bon.png

devilishly.png

icons
pikachew.png
moustachew.png
mariochu.png

emma3.png
emma2.png
emma1.png

emmaswamp.png
floralemma.png
drive.png

toadstool.png

My updates are going to go in new posts, not in the first post, so make sure you keep checking through the recent comments for updates. Also, please PLEASE leave constructive criticism, even if it is primitive like "I don't like the colours in that cause they are dark." I'd rather that than you saying, "awesome 11/10 lulz <3"
All comments are appreciated, but constructive criticism is adored.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'll come back and do an in depth review also but, this, isn't that great. To be honest. I like the idea, the concept, the style, but it's poorly executed. Your colours are not frequent nor vibrant enough, the focal isn't standing out as much as it should, the tag is very bare, and you should have went with a brighter text. I think the fact that it's too dark is what throws this off. Also try adding more colours, sometimes I like to make a new layer and dot some soft brushes around with nice colours and set them to color, adjust opacity. Might work here, but I'm not sure.

Red on overkill - next time cut out the lips, put them on a new layer, create a clipping mask with selective color, then bring up the reds, it's ruining the hair. Otherwise I like the colours, slightly generic though. I like this, but something about your icons in general, needs working. I think it's your lack of experience in the area, but try working with depth more, using curves, color mixer and thinking about lighting a little more. The latter icon lacks a little detail.

Anyway, I'll come back. I swears. Loving the new gallery really though.

Trish

He was dead the whole time!
Years
Pigeon Tag -

If you don't mind me asking, is this a collage? The girl render looks really collage-y and the background looks like it's from scratch, with the exception of the electrical wires. If it is, it's really cool. I like the concept. Text isn't great though. I don't like the blue either, as it looks really bleh.

Bon Tag -

Artistically, this is awesome. I like the tones here, and the texture rocks. This reminds me of some mad tag artists that used to work with ideas like this (texture, dominant blackness). Lighting looks forced though, and it should complement the lighting at the back of the focal there. I don't like the text either. Otherwise, I got no complaints.

If you can achieve something like this or this (very gritty, harsh artwork) in the future, I would seriously crap myself.

DG Tag -

Nice colors, but a bit generic. Did you make the clothes from scratch or as a collage (asking because the white things on the clothes look like pentool)? I can't say much. I like the symmetrical focal though. I love the intensity of the hair. Text is looking great.

It's clear you have your own style. It would be better if you could prepared stocks for the tags above, so I know how much change you made from the stock.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/pigeon.png

I'm fond of this piece. <3 the eyes move around easily because of the birds while the focal point remains the person. I could see some people saying they don't like this text placement and style, but I think it works well because it is not distracting while still being readable. the muted colors and selective pallet are a nice touch, adding to the simplicity.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/bon.png

While I can see a direction this is going, it looks unfinished to me. The subject seems to be drowning in with the background a bit (especially the hair), and maybe some more contrast could be introduced. The text is unique but a bit thin and un-noticable. I'm a bit confused on what is happening, I believe there is water; if so maybe make that a bit more apparent. Also, the colors on that bottom are lovely, but I feel the balance of colors is really uneven because there is none at all on the top of the image.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/drive.png

My favorite icons of the ones you posted. Just the right touch of color and an interesting POV. The buildings in the background fading in to the horizon adds a perfect touch.

Those are some that stood out to me. I hope my advice is helpful. :] Also, I can't even put into words how adorable those Pikachu icons are... XD

moments.

quixotic
Years
I'll do an in depth review later once you get more stuffz. But I just want to say: Holy freaking sh*t bon.png is off the chain!.... yo... hehe

Your new stuff is as good as ever man. Keep it up.
You win the first comment prize! Seriously, thanks a lot for commenting, although now I am eagerly awaiting your in depth review, so be quick ok?

I'll come back and do an in depth review also but, this, isn't that great. To be honest. I like the idea, the concept, the style, but it's poorly executed. Your colours are not frequent nor vibrant enough, the focal isn't standing out as much as it should, the tag is very bare, and you should have went with a brighter text. I think the fact that it's too dark is what throws this off. Also try adding more colours, sometimes I like to make a new layer and dot some soft brushes around with nice colours and set them to color, adjust opacity. Might work here, but I'm not sure.

Well the original concept was like a bonfire where it is pitch black, and the only light is coming from the fire which is why the top/background is so dark. Also, I tried brighter text, and it was too distracting, it was either lose the text completely, or keep it dark so it didn't clash or steal focus. I liked how it sat, so I made it dark. As for the colours, I liked the separation between the dark and the light areas and really wanted to contrast them. I could've put a few really blurry, small colours in the background, but I didn't think of that til now. :P

Red on overkill - next time cut out the lips, put them on a new layer, create a clipping mask with selective color, then bring up the reds, it's ruining the hair. Otherwise I like the colours, slightly generic though. I like this, but something about your icons in general, needs working. I think it's your lack of experience in the area, but try working with depth more, using curves, color mixer and thinking about lighting a little more. The latter icon lacks a little detail.
I actually completely agree on the red on overkill comment, as you noted, I am indeed ridiculously inexperienced with icons, and to be honest, cutting off the lips and selective colouring them separately didn't even occur to me, and it's a great idea/piece of advice, so thanks. Depth I haven't even considered on icons either cause of a bad experience I had with one of my very first icons eons ago, but I will go back and try it out.
Seriously, amazing advice for icons, thankies!

Pigeon Tag -
If you don't mind me asking, is this a collage? The girl render looks really collage-y and the background looks like it's from scratch, with the exception of the electrical wires. If it is, it's really cool. I like the concept. Text isn't great though. I don't like the blue either, as it looks really bleh.
Yes it's a semi collage I guess if I'm interpreting that correctly... The original stock was the girl and the background, and I put on the birds.

Bon Tag -
Artistically, this is awesome. I like the tones here, and the texture rocks. This reminds me of some mad tag artists that used to work with ideas like this (texture, dominant blackness). Lighting looks forced though, and it should complement the lighting at the back of the focal there. I don't like the text either. Otherwise, I got no complaints.

If you can achieve something like this or this (very gritty, harsh artwork) in the future, I would seriously crap myself.
I must say, possibly my fave style is the texture spam and lots of blacks. I don't really understand what you mean by the lighting comment, but I sorta do... Thanks a lot for the comments, Salzella was a huge inspiration to me in his tags and I have actually tried one of those gritty tags ages ago, and it didn't work as well as I'd planned, but I might try again now having more experience and whatnot, so thanks for the comments!

DG Tag -
Nice colors, but a bit generic. Did you make the clothes from scratch or as a collage (asking because the white things on the clothes look like pentool)? I can't say much. I like the symmetrical focal though. I love the intensity of the hair. Text is looking great.

It's clear you have your own style. It would be better if you could prepared stocks for the tags above, so I know how much change you made from the stock.
I wish I made the clothes from scratch... Then again, it isn't completely original cause I did special effects of my own secret variety. :P But seriously, the symmetry is cause I duplicated the stock and flipped it so it's perfectly symmetrical. Thanks for the text comment! I spent ages looking through all my fonts trying to find good ones...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/pigeon.png
I'm fond of this piece. <3 the eyes move around easily because of the birds while the focal point remains the person. I could see some people saying they don't like this text placement and style, but I think it works well because it is not distracting while still being readable. the muted colors and selective pallet are a nice touch, adding to the simplicity.

Someone who likes the pigeon tag! Seriously, thanks for the comments, they echo my intentions in a way. The fact that there is no completely obvious focal reflects the madness sort of and the chaos and stuff.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/bon.png
While I can see a direction this is going, it looks unfinished to me. The subject seems to be drowning in with the background a bit (especially the hair), and maybe some more contrast could be introduced. The text is unique but a bit thin and un-noticable. I'm a bit confused on what is happening, I believe there is water; if so maybe make that a bit more apparent. Also, the colors on that bottom are lovely, but I feel the balance of colors is really uneven because there is none at all on the top of the image.
I sorta explained most of this in reply to Abnegation, but I particularly like the low contrast :P If the text is unnoticable, that is not a bad thing to me and almost right as intended as I didn't want it to take focus, but I wanted it there cause it gave something else to look at. Again, imbalance of colours is cause of me wanting to contrast the light from the bonfire to the dark of night.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/drive.png
My favorite icons of the ones you posted. Just the right touch of color and an interesting POV. The buildings in the background fading in to the horizon adds a perfect touch.
I liked that icon too, except the sharpness... The original stock was really bad quality and I don't really know why I continued to work with it, but there you go!

Thanks everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it, I truly do! I even appreciate your comment telling me to expect a comment CT Update will be in a few hours/later today as I already have some icons in the oven and I can hopefully whip up at least one tag tonight.
Also, if you are still reading after that block of text, sorry if it got too long, I wanted to reply to each comment really to answer your questions and such, maybe next time I'll keep it more concise :P

moments.

quixotic
Years
As promised, an update, and luckily for you, due to the downtime I have a couple of tags finished! :D

linkslash.png

ivysaur.png

comatoseblur.png
comatosedragon.png
comatosesmall.png

(which do you prefer?)

glasses3.png
glasses2.png
glasses1.png

purplehair1.png
purplehair.png
qman-1.png

Years
I sorta explained most of this in reply to Abnegation, but I particularly like the low contrast :P If the text is unnoticable, that is not a bad thing to me and almost right as intended as I didn't want it to take focus, but I wanted it there cause it gave something else to look at. Again, imbalance of colours is cause of me wanting to contrast the light from the bonfire to the dark of night.

No need to defend your self. I lurve it. IM ALL THAT SHOULD MATTER TO YOU! <3

Anyway, could I wear this avatar you made?

moments.

quixotic
Years
Yes you may, only because you is sexy. No but really that reminds me, guys, if you want to wear something here in your signature, please ask before you do! If I or nobody else is wearing it, chances are that I will say yes, but make sure, if it's a brand new one and I intend to wear it later I'll say no, so just clarify!

moments.

quixotic
Years
Just a couple of tags cause I haven't done too much recently.

jakerequest-1.png

Collab with Comic Tragedy

carbon-1.png

bitterrivalries.png

Collab with Comic Tragedy.

moments.

quixotic
Years
freesoul.png

sean.png

pastel2-1.png

I don't like the pi symbols on the border on this, but I forgot to delete... xP

So update time?
Anyways, I've been in a slump and these pieces are all fairly old and the first two requests from the diamonds shop that I had to close recently cause of slump/CT bailing, but yeah. Trying to get back into it.
Criticism please, constructive preferred. :P

moments.

quixotic
Years
So I was on a huge slump of about 2 weeks and I managed to churn out this.
tumblr_ldo9p72dCx1qdfozpo1_500.png

Mainly playing with typo.

So first ever LP I believe. :o
2h8de84.png

Seriously, Constructive Criticism is needed. At least a comment is needed. If I quadruple post to update because nobody is commenting, I'm going to commit something terrible in the form of art and make you all view it in here and it will force you to comment. The irony. The dreadful irony.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Really unimpressed by your latest stuff. Your style has jumped all over the place. This is probably your best in a while.

Anyway, your latest is a very mini LP. No real focal, background repeated to fill space (also looks weird), opacity in text is a big no no, spot light colours are odd, I dislike the yellows. You should try photomanipulation, or something from scratch. You have the ability, which I'll help you with since LP's are something I know quite well.

moments.

quixotic
Years
Really unimpressed by your latest stuff. Your style has jumped all over the place. This is probably your best in a while.

Anyway, your latest is a very mini LP. No real focal, background repeated to fill space (also looks weird), opacity in text is a big no no, spot light colours are odd, I dislike the yellows. You should try photomanipulation, or something from scratch. You have the ability, which I'll help you with since LP's are something I know quite well.

Style jumps because I don't have a style and find myself in a state of constant experimentation. A fair point, but honestly, I can't say I have a style of my own which is what I'm trying to sort out.

As for the CnC you gave there, that's not the LP, the link was broken, I fixed it.
As for opacity, all layers of text are 100% opaque with different layer settings.

As for help, I think the best help I'd like to ask of you is just to keep commenting. I think I learn well from criticisms, take them on board and stuff.

But yeah, thanks a lot for comments. Rate the actual LP? :D

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Ha ha, you prolly know my insight on this one. Main complaint being the diamond got stolen. XD;

But seriously, like Gav said, some of your previous works were really better than the newer ones. Although, for some reason, your LP isn't really loading at the moment for me, I believe I saw it yesterday and I'll just say that it looked dim. It was pretty dark and although the concept may have been nice, it just didn't appeal all that much. It could've done with some more colors or light, prolly. I ttly understand what you meant by that 'sexy stock' now, though. XD; But all these tidbits are probably because you just came outta your slump. Hope you make sexy stuff like the first few ones soon enough. :]

Edit: http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/jakerequest-1.png
^ That and the bitter rivals. Smex.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Ah your LP was not there before. Better than your other updates of late, however I do have some things to point out to you. The monochrome is too heavy, I'm aware that the concept you had in mind was meant to be quite dark and dull, but there's too little contrast and very little lighting sources or depth with your lighting. Also, the stock for the girl, although it's pretty well placed and such, you forgot to actually blend it with the LP as a whole. You should have wrapped/coiled some C4D's around her leg. Speaking of the stock itself, it doesn't look very well rendered, not sure if you did it or not but it's not precise, the hair is pretty well done for the most part but everything is a little blocky around the edges and not smooth in some places, maybe it's just over sharpened however. I like to render with the pen tool in photoshop but I also use 3D programs such as C4D etc. Anyway, you should have brought out the focal, worked on your concept (as it lacks direction, what does this piece mean? How did this happen?). The C4D's you used, I wouldn't be a big fan of them either. They seem a little low quality and over sharpened. You REALLY should start thinking about lighting and using your dodge and burn tools more often. If you want to do LP's like this; depth is a major factor and extremely important. So lighting, shading and the likes should be at the forefront of this style. Do you draw? If not, try it and think about how shading works, it works the same in graphics and LP's like this. As far as I can see, there's a bunch of empty and unneeded space and the focal has not been focused on enough, lack of definitive concept and a little shy of a good technique here.

In saying this, a good start believe me.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I've always loved your work, and can honestly say I see nothing wrong with them. Mostly because I can't do this for the life of me, especially since the free-trial for Photoshop is over, and GIMP is confusing.

Anyway, everything looks absolutely brilliant. I love the Pikachu icons and the Harry vs. Draco tag. Absolutely stunning. :)

moments.

quixotic
Years
Ha ha, you prolly know my insight on this one. Main complaint being the diamond got stolen. XD;

But seriously, like Gav said, some of your previous works were really better than the newer ones. Although, for some reason, your LP isn't really loading at the moment for me, I believe I saw it yesterday and I'll just say that it looked dim. It was pretty dark and although the concept may have been nice, it just didn't appeal all that much. It could've done with some more colors or light, prolly. I ttly understand what you meant by that 'sexy stock' now, though. XD; But all these tidbits are probably because you just came outta your slump. Hope you make sexy stuff like the first few ones soon enough. :]

Edit: http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/mattimogalli/jakerequest-1.png
^ That and the bitter rivals. Smex.
Thanks for the comments, and yeah I was going for dark, gloomy, mysterious for the LP. :D And yep, hopefully my sexiness comes out more now that that slump is over. totally just broke another slump just then...
Comic Tragedy is more to thanks for the delicious smudging in the harry potter tag. so...

Ah your LP was not there before. Better than your other updates of late, however I do have some things to point out to you. The monochrome is too heavy, I'm aware that the concept you had in mind was meant to be quite dark and dull, but there's too little contrast and very little lighting sources or depth with your lighting. Also, the stock for the girl, although it's pretty well placed and such, you forgot to actually blend it with the LP as a whole. You should have wrapped/coiled some C4D's around her leg. Speaking of the stock itself, it doesn't look very well rendered, not sure if you did it or not but it's not precise, the hair is pretty well done for the most part but everything is a little blocky around the edges and not smooth in some places, maybe it's just over sharpened however. I like to render with the pen tool in photoshop but I also use 3D programs such as C4D etc. Anyway, you should have brought out the focal, worked on your concept (as it lacks direction, what does this piece mean? How did this happen?). The C4D's you used, I wouldn't be a big fan of them either. They seem a little low quality and over sharpened. You REALLY should start thinking about lighting and using your dodge and burn tools more often. If you want to do LP's like this; depth is a major factor and extremely important. So lighting, shading and the likes should be at the forefront of this style. Do you draw? If not, try it and think about how shading works, it works the same in graphics and LP's like this. As far as I can see, there's a bunch of empty and unneeded space and the focal has not been focused on enough, lack of definitive concept and a little shy of a good technique here.

In saying this, a good start believe me.
Thanks for all the comments, in regards to the rendering, I rendered using eraser as I had done so in the past because I thought it was easier/faster, but I rendered yesterday with pen tool and it is way better, so we won't be seeing the eraser ever again... xP
I actually totally abused the dodge/burn tools in this piece, as well as lighting with brushes and stuff. I tried wrapping C4Ds around the legs, it looked too cluttered, but yeah see what you mean. I suck at blending.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, I'll take more heed to them for the next piece I make!

I've always loved your work, and can honestly say I see nothing wrong with them. Mostly because I can't do this for the life of me, especially since the free-trial for Photoshop is over, and GIMP is confusing.

Anyway, everything looks absolutely brilliant. I love the Pikachu icons and the Harry vs. Draco tag. Absolutely stunning. :)
Honestly, there is a bucket-load wrong with every piece of mine. Thanks a lot for the comments though, again, Comic Tragedy deserves more praise than I for the harry potter tag as he did all the smudging and conceptual work, I just did adjustments...

OK! Finally an update? It's small, but yeah.

summer.png

Need to work on icons mooooore!

bob.png

Made for Ana as an early Christmas gift in return for my icon.

space.png

Trying out the new tablet, this is a WIP, but I'm liking where it's going. (This looks weird out of Photoshop, tiny bit blurry and the colours a bit sour... I'll try fix it when I post finished.)

And I owe you Derozio a gift, I still haven't got round to doing it cause of business due to this time of year, after NYE I will be all over it.

moments.

quixotic
Years
So I just went through all the tags I made this year and whipped up a quick tagwall from this year.

Link here.
If you have deviantart and you leave a comment there as well, it's much appreciated.
(Download for full size please.)

Back