• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#12 - Retype

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Pokemon is known for featuring good and villainous trainers throughout the anime series and in the video games. But what about the pokemon? What makes a pokemon villainous? There are pokemon, that are, by nature, dark and sinister; whether it be nightmarish pokemon like Darkrai and Gengar or precocious pokemon like Purrloin and Misdreavus. Dark and ghost pokemon alike best exemplify villainous pokemon.

In this weeks pixel art competition, you will have to transform any pokemon that is not a ghost or dark type, into a villainous ghost or dark type pokemon. So essentially, this WPC is a retyping challenge. Let's see if you can frighten and intimidate the competition with your pokemon.

Evil-Pichu-evil-pokemon-11230853-315-400.jpg

NEW Deadline: Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 by 3 A.M. Eastern Time.
OLD Deadline: Friday, July 1st, 2011 by 3 A.M. Eastern Time.

Rules

• Canvas Size: 96x96
  • Palette Size: 24 colors
  • Style: Amalgamations and scratch are both permitted.
  • Original: All sprites must be your original work!
  • Pokemon Selection: You must select a pokemon that is not a ghost or dark type. This includes secondary typing.

Judging

• Creativity: Make your sprite unique and memorable.
  • Execution: Shading and line-work.
  • Design: Shaping, sizing, pose, and colors.

If you have any questions send me a PM or VM; Good Luck Everyone!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
Is Recolouring your pokemon allowed??
If yes... This is my ENtry..

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Sorry for missing the last one. To make up for it, I'll be entering this one. :D

I made Blaziken into a... well, it's kinda a Ghost/Flying/Dark type. XD But lets just says it's Ghost/Dark with Levitate. :3 The red palette is from Salamence, the lighter grey is from Mightyena, and the darker grey is custom because Mightyenas was too dark. The wings are from Swoobat, and the "aura" around the hand was made by me. :) Oh, and the purple is from Crobat. So yeah, this is my actual entry. :)

Last edited:
Years
Is Recolouring your pokemon allowed??
If yes... This is my ENtry..

Just recolouring is pretty boring and unoriginal.. I think you should have a go at retyping. So I'm going to say that recolours are NOT allowed if you plan on entering the sprites alone with just a recolour and no editing or scratch-editing done.

psyxe

Cubone Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 2, 2017
hm... just caught this. an hour and a half to do a retype? no problem :)

2ih2lug.png

hows this? cubone yellowed with age, broken, battered... more lonely then ever before. do you capture him, and confine him as a slave... or defeat him and end his misery?

Last edited:
Years
I'll extend the deadline for two more days for the people out there who are going to enter or if they wanted to enter.

New Deadline:
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 by 3 A.M. Eastern Time.

Years
Results are up.

1st Place:
The 100 Mega Shock and his "evil" Hitmonchan.

hitmondark-1.png

Total: 26/30

• Creativity: 9/10
    You've done a great job with transforming Hitmonchan, and the fact that I didn't expect someone to make something completely scratch and different from a normal Pokémon sprite, it makes it unique and different from other entries.
  • Execution: 8/10
    The line-work and selective outlining is nice along with the anti-aliasing. It did take me quite a while to figure out where the light source is, but it's not a major problem. I think just the shading on the head sort of confused me because I was thinking the light source was at the top centre of it.
  • Design: 9/10
    I just love how you changed the palette to a dark and murky style.

2nd Place:
Retribution and his "evil" Blaziken

Total: 22/30

• Creativity: 7/10
    Creative, and I like how you also added in the glow on its hand. It does look rather evil and "on the bad team."
  • Execution: 7/10
    Not much complaining at the pose and shading since it is from the official sprite, but I do think the back wing could be more diagonally to help perspective.
  • Design: 8/10
    It is overall a typical design, but regardless of that, it is still is great. You also made some good choices with the palette like how the purple and dark grey differed.

3rd Place:
psyxe and his "evil" Cubone.
2ih2lug.png

Total: 20/30

• Creativity: 8/10
    Quite unique with the bodyless Cubone, the smoke and the floating bone. No complaints.
  • Execution: 6/10
    Decent shading and the pose is rather ghost-like. Again no complaints, but it can look rather boring.
  • Design: 6/10
    The way you backed up the concept is rather nice, but the design is lacking MORE originality. The head looks off balanced from the smoke and looks a bit like it's just there in the background.
Congratulations everyone, don't worry too much about the numbers! Good luck next round. Also be sure to read this if you haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back