• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Grey Winds (T)

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
    • Age 29
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    This has gotten pretty good reception from others and I'd actually like to get back into writing here again before I lose my touch. This is the story that started from my talks with a good friend on this site (I miss you Aure-chan and this is dedicated to you) and is a serious Pokemon Special AU. This will be slowly updated. I am a slow, careful writer.

All right, without further ado, let's get started. Translations, if I've accidently left Japanese in there, are at the bottom. I'm pretty sure people know the disclaimer by now.

Warnings: Possible swearing, violence, and maybe death. I don't think there's been any yet. Oh and hinted at child abuse, physical and emotional trauma, and flashbacks, in case people wanted to know.

Summary: (Pokemon Special) For six years Johto has been under the control of Team Rocket. Professor Oak believes it is time to end that rule. Gold and Crystal are summoned to do so, by beating them to their goal. But these are not bright hopeful children, and this world is not kind. Can they complete this mission or will they die as many others have?

Prologue: A Different Start

In the shadows of night she came, wrapped in a cloak of dreams, desires, and black fabric. No one paid close attention to her in the city. She was not a frequent visitor but simply one of the many people who passed through this place. As such, she found it easy to slip through the crowds. The woman smiled under her hood and licked her lips greedily. Perfect. The woman caught snatches of life in the windows she passed. Children were playing in living rooms while parents looked on with warm smiles. For a moment her crimson eyes softened. They hardened again quickly. She wasn't allowed to feel that.

She glimpsed it a second later, an ordinary house next to the Gym. The lights were on and bright. The woman came closer and could make out small forms running around the carpeted living room. Peering in, she saw them. A blonde girl and a redheaded boy were chasing each other around the carpet. Both were bouncy, smiling toddlers. Her stomach twisted. And one was her son. Her crimson orbs traveled toward the other side of the lit room. A teenager with spiky red hair was watching them. His eyes seemed to shine with an affection that to the woman appeared abnormal. Then she saw him. Her heart clenched. That man with black hair, he was the only person who could make her whole body seize and relax all at once.

He was her boss, her idol, and her lover. The first in daylight, the last two were in deep secret where even the moon could not find them. He was charismatic, fierce, and a man worth dying for. But he had disappeared a short time ago. He was no longer leader of Team Rocket. But that would change. She had found him again at last. He was smiling, laughing even, as the children continued to circle the room with boundless energy. It was almost unfair. Giovanni said something to the teenager, who nodded and sat down near the children. The woman came closer to listen. The words were muffled but audible to her sensitive ears. He called to them both in a quiet voice.

"Come on you two. Enough playing. Come and listen." Both immediately stopped and pouted.

"But Nii-san…" began the girl but was shushed by Giovanni.

"He's right. Too much will leave you unable to play tomorrow." The children obeyed.

"Kay…" The teenager pulled out a Pokeball. He showed it to them, red side up. Both looked inside.

"What's dat Pokémon?" the boy asked, wide grey eyes curious.

"This is a Dratini, a dragon Pokémon," the teenager explained patiently. His voice was not slow in the slightest, nor did he dumb down his speech. The woman was surprised to see the children intently listening and seeming to understand him with perfect clarity. No toddler, no matter how gifted, should be able to be that intelligent. Interesting. I must report this information. "Dragons are very powerful and difficult to train. But when you do succeed, they become even better and eternally loyal. They are one of the best, if not the best to keep at your side."

The boy pulled a sphere from his own pocket and looked at it for a moment. He held it out to the teenager. "What about him?" The little creature blinked at the older male confusedly.

At this the youth smiled. "Well, this one is better than the best for you to keep with you. After all you were the first human he came in contact with." The boy made an "O" sound and giggled softly before handing it to the girl.

"You can keep him too!" the boy exclaimed cheerfully. "Ya don't got one yet, so we can share him." Surprisingly, the Pokémon took well to the idea, bouncing up and down in the sphere. The girl blushed and all inside started to laugh. The woman felt a tug of jealousy and pushed the alien emotion aside. She wished they would all go away already, let down their guard and relax. She had to hurry. That person would not wait forever.

The blonde took the Pokeball from the boy and it glowed slightly. She giggled. The redhead blinked curiously. She chirped, "He's happy we're friends!" The boy joined her in laughter before suddenly yawning. His head slumped down and he fell onto the carpet, semiconscious. The girl laughed again before yawning as well.

"Bed," the man ordered immediately. The boy offered no protest when he was gently scooped into the man's arms. "Lance, will you take her?" Lance nodded and lifted the girl up. She struggled minutely, whining.

"Come on now it's late," the teen coaxed, looking slightly vexed. "You two can play more tomorrow but now you must sleep. You promised you would be good while your uncle was gone right?" She didn't answer, merely snuggled deeper into Lance's embrace. The spiky haired boy flushed slightly for some reason. The woman smirked. Her chance was coming.

The little boy then said something and her heart missed a beat. "Daddy… is Mommy coming home soon?" He smiled sadly and looked out the window she was crouched near. The woman scooted back, crimson eyes wide with fear. Did he see her?

"I'm not sure son. But we'll hope and pray for it." The boy smiled sleepily and nodded. The woman's heart threatened to tear itself from its place and she growled quietly. Why did they choose me for this? Meanwhile, the two males had left the room and returned empty-handed. Giovanni sat down on the leather chair again and Lance had slumped on the couch. He sighed and rested his head against the armrest, eyes half-lidded.

"Thank you for being such a help Lance," her former leader complimented. Again, the envy burned. Whenever he complimented someone, you felt empty when it wasn't you. "I know you have a dislike of people which is why I was so surprised when you came."

Lance shrugged him off, looking apathetic. "It was fine. Those two are no trouble, better than many humans I've met in my life. Hopefully these two will turn out right, unlike some…"

The other rolled his eyes yet he was grinning. "Your distaste is always such a fascinating way of thinking. It is slightly… exhilarating."

Lance glared at him through half-closed eyes. "Don't forget, I still don't trust you after that incident in the forest. Even if you have reformed with these kids around, you're still a potential victim."

"Well then I'll have to work harder won't I?" Giovanni quipped, fixing him with a casual smirk. The man was always serene, even at his worst moments. In all the years they had known each other, he had never lost that arrogant calm. His expression suddenly smoothed as the elder asked. "Are you going to stay here or head on home?"

"I'll stay here tonight if you don't mind. The neighbors are partying tonight." Lance scoffed. "Morons."

"Nothing wrong with a little amusement every now and then. Spare bedroom is upstairs. Go and rest." Lance huffed and obeyed, dimming the lights as he passed. The woman waited a few moments longer before heading to the front door. She knocked lightly. Approximately eighty-five seconds after, the doorknob turned and opened. The former criminal didn't look surprised, instead resigned.

"Ah, it's you Athena. It's been a while. Please come in." He held the door open and took her cloak.

"What a gentleman," she purred, following him inside. Inwardly she seethed. You abandoned me. You stole our child from me! For what? What would I have done to a baby? To my baby? How can you treat me as though nothing's changed? Out of her vision, the man rolled his eyes.

"I assume you're here for the children?" he inquired, cool as you please. He had let her into the hallway and settled himself against the blank white wall.

"But of course," the woman replied, bowing elegantly. "After all I am a faithful servant to my leader… whoever that may be. And these two have quite a lot to offer."

"So they've found my replacement already?" he inquired dryly. She saw a Pokeball on the floor and nodded. How messy. That's unlike him, but with children in the house…

"Indeed. He is quite competent, the former leader of the Johto branch. He has managed to start the unity of his own region and Kanto as well."

"Is that so?" The male sighed. "Well as a Gym Leader in name and reality now, I am obligated to stop you."

"Yes," she cooed. "A mere Gym Leader." She stepped forward, slightly daunted by his lack of reaction. Normally it was merely unsettling, but now it was as if she walked into a trap.

"The strongest," he whispered, black eyes shining lustily. "In more ways than one." Athena shuddered quietly.

"Oh yes. I haven't forgotten. I've sired a bastard now, just as my father said I would. Won't he be proud?" He came to her then, cupping her chin in his fingers.

"He should be. You've birthed a beautiful, loving boy. He should be angered by your wish to destroy that."

"It will bring the world to our feet. Their powers are rare," she chanted numbly, in a voice that she was certain was not her own. Brainwashing is so much easier nowadays… Giovanni thought dimly. He was grateful he had never resorted to that. he was happier he never had to.

"A world that has no place being there," he replied. "And all it will take is two innocent children's hearts."

"It is justified."

"No I'm afraid it isn't. I will not allow you to misuse their abilities." At that a door opened upstairs. The teen from earlier was led by a Beedrill, who were carrying the two children. The Beedrill came over to her former leader, who carried her son in its needles. The little boy saw her and awoke from his half-asleep daze.

"M-Mommy?" The high voice was full of fear and not joy, as it would have been. How does he know my face? He only saw me as a baby! How could he know?

His father gave a wistful smile and ruffled his son's hair. "Yes it is her, just like in the pictures, but I'm afraid you can't say hello."

"W-why?" The bright eyes were filling with tears.

"She wants to take you and your new friend away and you will never see us again. She will make you kill and hurt and many other terrible things. And she does not love you anymore."
    That's a lie! She wanted to shout. But was it really? Had she even loved him at all? Was she even able to love?

"B-But…" The girl had woken up now and the toddler's yellow eyes were full of terror.

"I'm sorry child but this will be the last time you see either of us for a while. Go with Lance. Go and stay safe. Okay?"

The boy stared balefully at his father. "Daddy…"

The man ruffled his hair. "No choice now. You must protect your friends. You must protect her. Do you promise?"

You can't ask a toddler to promise that! The woman howled in her mind. You can't, not when they don't understand!

But were you asking anything better? Another voice inquired. You were asking them to murder. Her protests died in her throat and the crimson eyes briefly filled with pain.

The boy nodded miserably. He did not understand this vow, not at all, but he knew he had to keep it. What Daddy says goes.

"Good," his father replied. "Now go!" Beedrill took off, following Lance out the back door. The woman growled and released a small crow. It peered at her anxiously.

"After them! Hunt them to the ends of the earth!" It saluted with a wing and soared off through the open door. At that, her lover came forward and kissed her gently on the lips.

"Goodbye my dear," he hissed before slipping behind her and outside. She cursed and turned to follow him. But it was too late. He had already disappeared into the night.
    Master will not be pleased.

Meanwhile a large bird soared overhead, cawing loudly. Glancing up, she noticed it and smiled. "Maybe I've done well after all."

Years
  • All in all, a good length for a story's prologue. A couple of mistakes are as follows:
    accidently

he was happier he never had to

I didn't even realize it was Athena until you had Giovanni mention her name. I'm guessing the red-haired boy is Silver?

And this part has me curious. Athena released a Murkrow. So is the other bird a Legendary?
    Meanwhile a large bird soared overhead

I'm looking forward to reading more of Grey Winds. Keep it up, it's good so far.

Fuyu

Years
    • Age 29
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for the review LM and for catching my mistakes. I shall reveal nothing. Considering my brain feels like scrambled eggs right now, I hope I don't make more in this next chapter. Incase this isn't mentioned later in the story, ten years have passed since the prologue.

Chapter 1: Rough Awakening

The sun was not shining this morning, making the sky rather dismal and cloudy over New Bark Town. Then again, the sun never shined much these days, according to the weather channel. Not like he watched much TV anyway. The noise would only remind him of how empty his house was. A loud alarm began to ring next to him, the clock flashing the time of 7:00 AM, in bright red letters, bursting the twelve year old out of his musing. He slammed it off with irritation. Why on earth did he have that piece of trash anyway? After all, he was up at dawn no matter what. Tch. He rolled off the bed, which had a plaque with the word "Gold" written in black imbedded at its foot. He jumped into the shower, grateful that the money in his bank account covered his bills. Quickly finishing his work in the bathroom, he wrapped a towel around his body and returned to his bedroom.

Gold went to his mirror and scowled, annoyed at the lack of noise in the house. He yanked the comb through his tangled mane of wet hair. Luckily he managed to lay it flat but for his bangs, which stuck defiantly in a downward spike. Stubborn little-.Giving up, he placed his yellow baseball cap backwards and attached his goggles over it. A quiet shuffling at his doorway made the boy jump and turn. There stood his first Pokémon, Aitaro the Aipom, a purple monkey. Its small arms were crossed in an expression of boredom, one that mimicked his own. Pokemon did take after their Trainers at times. To all appearances, it had been awake this entire time. Gold was not stupid enough to believe that.

"Don't just stand there!" he snapped briskly, irritated by the Pokemon's surprisingly late arrival and his attempt at giving him a heart attack. "Get started! You two wasted enough time sleeping!" Aitaro's scowl deepened and for a moment it looked as though the Pokémon was going to attack his master. Then the Aipom nodded and strode away, the hand on his tail curled into a fist. Gold rolled his eyes and pulled his white shorts on, smoothing out the creases of his red pullover. He yanked his socks roughly over his feet and pulled the skateboard from his white backpack. Grabbing the pack, he slipped it over his shoulders and headed downstairs.

Truthfully he didn't blame the Pokemon for being so angry. All machines and soldiers did have a few bugs in them. Plus, that Aipom had been with him for as long as he could remember, and farther than that. It had his temper. Gold snorted. Maybe Aitaro thought I was a cheerful person once. Hah. He himself couldn't remember ever being a hyper, happy, playful ball of energy. The thought of him ever being like that was slightly repulsive. No, scratch that, it was an abominating thought, never to be considered again. So his memories were slightly screwy. Didn't matter now. The enemy mocked sentimentality instead of appreciating it. The same would be with him.

"This world has no room for those who wear their heart on their sleeves."

He gritted his teeth and growled, forcing the memories back. They were the past, they affected his goals, his plans, but they didn't have to affect right this second, did they? Stupid, bleeding heart… how I wish I could carve it out.

In the kitchen a note was sitting on the counter. When did I leave that out? The boy placed two slices of bread into the toaster, and flicked it the paper, he grimaced. "I'd forgotten about this."

The paper was a request from Professor Elm, who lived on the outskirts of his hometown, which he accepted after some pondering over the idea of whether the man had lost his sanity or not (which he highly doubted, considering he was only in his twenties, researcher or otherwise). Normally he wouldn't have considered even thinking of taking on the ridiculous task, whatever that may be. However the professor was a friend of the family and it was deeply ingrained in him to help his acquaintances, even if it was that of a clumsy, absentminded, busybody of a scientist.

Though he had to admit, he admired the man's dedication to his work. Aside from Professor Oak, who was arguably the best of the best, he was one of the top in his field. He was the go-to on Pokemon evolution. Even some on Team Rocket had asked for his help. It was a dedication he rarely saw in others and hoped he had acquired for himself.

"Tch, what a pain..." Gold buttered his toast, grumbling all the while. He glanced toward the spacious living room, where the sounds of battle were clearly audible. The two of them were fighting fierce, his Pokémon, but that was only to be expected. After all, they were strong. Not strong enough though, he reminded himself. Not strong enough to destroy them, to take them down. Neither am I. But I will be.Pulling two apples from the fridge, he washed them lightly before giving a low whistle.

The noise ceased at once and Aitaro led a tadpole Pokémon into the kitchen. Poliwag, or Nyotaro as he was named, was panting lightly. It was not conditioned enough yet, being just a baby. Hm, faulty equipment would not do. Time to step it up then.

"Aitaro!" he exclaimed and the purple monkey snapped to attention at once, making him smirk. "Don't be so lenient just because he's a brat. Work Nyotaro until he's beaten thoroughly next time or until he beats you. Understand?" Aitaro saluted firmly and went back to his apple. Nyotaro looked slightly terrified, which Gold pointedly ignored. It wasn't like he cared. The feelings of tools didn't concern him. He placed the apples on the floor and took a bite of his toast. Always keep your machines working properly. That was something he had been taught and adhered to fiercely, even if he was the one who had taught him so. Never mind the specifics.

Finishing his toast, Gold organized the items in his bag, making sure he had all the essentials for a trainer's journey. He was probably not even going that far but it was better to be prepared, just in case. Oh if only he knew.

Pulling a Pokeball from his pocket, he aimed it at Nyotaro. The Poliwag disappeared inside with a flash of red light, leaving the young male to sweep away half-eaten apple. "You will continue this later," the twelve year old promised. Inside the tadpole simply nodded, unable to convey anything else. When his master was not looking, Aitaro gave the Pokeball a sympathetic look. The work was only just beginning, if it ever ended. The Pokemon didn't believe it would because the vengeance didn't seem to come any closer.

"Aitaro!" Immediately the Aipom climbed onto his trainer's hat, placing his hand-shaped tail on Gold's backpack. The boy tightened the straps and grabbed his backpack. "I'm off," Gold said quietly as he put on his shoes. To his surprise, the soft voices of Pokemon lilted in his ears. A genuine smile drifted onto his face. Maybe the mansion wasn't so lonely after all. He locked the door behind him. The smile faded as soon as he stepped out of his empty yard. It was quiet as the grave out there, barring the wind whispering low laughter. Granted, he did live on the outskirts of New Bark Town, but there should be some noise, Pokemon playing, Pidgey chirping, anything.

Damn Team Rocket for scaring everything away. But that was how it was these days. It had been this way for five years and probably would be for five more, maybe longer. That is, unless someone decided to strike back. That someone would be him. He would make certain of it. Placing one foot on his skateboard, he pushed off with the other. Easing into the rhythm of the movement, he settled the other foot on the board.

The downtown streets of New Bark Town were just a few feet away. He saw someone heading in his direction and tensed. A Rocket? Closer examination revealed that this person was much smaller than a grown man, not that that meant much. He quickly slowed, reluctantly putting one foot back on the ground again. To his surprise, the figure stopped and waved. Gold raised an eyebrow. Did he know this guy from somewhere? Curious, yet surprisingly not paranoid, he came for a closer look. The figure turned out to a youngster, dressed in the typical white T-shirt, yellow shorts and baseball cap. Completing the stereotypical image was the Rattata perched timidly on the boy's shoulder. What was out of place there however was the white, heavy-looking duffel bag in his right hand.

"Excuse me," were the first words to come out of the other's mouth. "Are you Gold, by any chance?"

"Who wants to know?" he shot back. The boy jumped, whether over his rude tone or something else, Gold wasn't sure. The smaller boy bowed hurriedly.

"Please forgive my manners. My name is Joey. I'm Professor Elm's assistant and he sent me to come get a boy named Gold and make sure he found his lab on time."

"I see, then you have found the correct person. However…" His customary scowl deepened. "The note I received from him stated nothing about a particular time of arrival." He could always speak more simply, but there was no fun in that.

Joey, shockingly, was unruffled. "Yes, the note was sent to you before there was a time picked out. The professor saw no point in sending you two notes about the same thing and simply sent me to fetch you. Let's hurry before we cause too much suspicion."

"Agreed." He pushed off again, giving just enough leeway to allow Joey to get ahead of him. To his surprise, the boy carried the large duffel as if it were nothing more than a couple kilos. It looked much heavier, piquing his eccentric curiosity. "How can you carry that?"

"What? This?" Joey hefted it to his shoulder. "I've grown used to it I guess, carrying it from Cherrygrove and all. I have to give these to Professor Elm when I get back. I didn't get a chance to drop them off."

Gold felt his curiosity pique. "Them?"

"Pokemon," the youngster replied simply. With that the two fell into a solemn silence. Gold stared dully at the near-empty streets. Six years ago, the shops would have long been open by now, with people happily purchasing their wares. Now though, the only life you could see was the occasional Rocket grunt patrolling their posts with their Pokemon. Glancing at Joey, he figured the boy would start talking again, just to fill the quiet. When he didn't, Gold kept his mouth shut. No need to initiate unwanted chatter. Perhaps this youth wasn't as stupid as the stereotype proclaimed.

Gold saw a two-story white building coming ever closer. There was a large glass door on the second floor leading to a balcony. Two groups of Pokemon were training outside. He thought he knew what species they were, but he couldn't be certain. Curious, he came closer. They were fighting hard, harder than Gold did (or could) consider possible. So these are strong Pokemon, the youth thought. These are powerful machines, excellent tools.

"Are… are those Professor Elm's?" They couldn't be, they weren't native to the Johto region.

Joey flashed an expression of alarm. "No way. Professor Elm hates fighting. Those belong to your senpai."

"My senpai?" Now he was really confused. He had no senior, none that he respected at any rate.

"You'll understand in a minute," the youngster replied absently, glancing around suspiciously, gaze lingering on the Rocket members slowly gathering in the town square. Gold understood and there was silence again. The pair came up to the building's door. Joey knocked.

It was 6:30 AM. An alarm went off next to her ear. The twelve year old let out a yawn and shut it off. Reaching over, the girl lifted a pair of star-shaped earrings from the bedside table and clipped them to her ears. Thanks Mom. Sitting up, she shook her head clear of sleep and picked up her brush. The female yanked the bristles through her black hair and tied the locks into their upside-down ponytails. Pulling off her Mareep decorated pajamas she pulled on her familiar outfit of a red sleeveless shirt and yellow biker shorts. Kneeling down, she examined her worn red sneakers. The girl sighed.

"Looks like I'll need to grab a new pair soon," she mumbled. There goes this paycheck. Grabbing her yellow brimless hat and white cardigan from the shelf, the girl wasted no time with placing them on and leaving her room. The girl ran into the living room and pulled out an apple from the basket. It was the last one. A pink Pokemon ran inside, bouncing anxiously on the balls of its white feet. It clutched a phone-like device in its appendage and five Pokeballs floated around her head. She took it gratefully and pocketed the spheres.

"Thanks Smoopyon," she commented, dialing a number. It rang and a voice soon came from the speaker.

"Good morning Crystal," greeted a middle-aged male. "Is something the matter?"

"Good morning Mr. Earl," she replied, smiling despite the fact that it couldn't be seen. "Nothing's the matter except I won't be at the Academy today." Crystal had been helping out at the beaten-up children center for a while. The only reason it was still in business was because it kept children off the street.

"Oh you won't?" Earl sounded surprised and slightly upset. "Family matters?"

"Sort of." Family matters was the term for Crystal's searching for an extra job. Her mother was a master at capturing Pokemon and Chris was trying to follow in her footsteps. Unfortunately the only openings were for Team Rocket and she knew to stay out of there. This time might finally be the one she was looking for. "I don't know how long I'll be, so just in case tell the kids to behave while I'm gone."

"Alright then. Be careful." With that note of caution, Earl ended the conversation. Crystal gave a happy grin and looped her PokeGear around her neck with the strap. Smoopyon had left again and reappeared with a small rectangular backpack. Chris felt her grin widen and placed the pack carefully on her shoulders. The Ice-Psychic type let out a warning cry. Crystal could not completely understand her Pokemon's words, but she could easily tell what they were implying at the very least.

"Come on then Smoopyon," she said cheerily. "We've got a search to start." The Smoochum nodded and smiled, bounding after her trainer out the door. Locking the door, Chris gave the house a sad smile as she placed the key in her backpack.

"Looks like I'm leaving again. This time I'll come back a success. I swear it!" If I come back at all, that is. No, don't think that way. You've gotta be optimistic! She really hoped that Professor Oak or whoever her employer was would have a well-worth job to inform her about when she got to his lab. With that she walked away from her house and out of her hometown of Violet City.

As she walked through the streets, she waved a morning greeting to the vendors and people outside. Unlike New Bark Town, where there was very little of interest a normal person could find, Violet City was a Gym city, a place to test the talent of young trainers. Even after Team Rocket's takeover of the Kanto and Johto region, the gyms and Pokemon League were still in use, along with the League Association. It made a good recruiting pool and kept out one more seed of rebellion amidst the citizens of the regions. In other words, any city with a Gym or Pokemon League event area nearby was very lively and populated. If it weren't for the occasional red R plastered on poles and black-dressed grunts on the streets, you couldn't tell that there had ever been such an invasion.

Crystal never really noticed the evil group's presence all that much. Not for lack of trying on their part, but she had spent a good part of her childhood in training to take her mother's place as a Master Capturer. By the time she had returned to Violet City, the new regime had fallen into place and life had calmed back down, except for a few points. She would never like Team Rocket but Crystal knew that unless they were stopped, the group was here to stay. And Mew knew that she wasn't strong enough to help that. Or so she thought.

A young man with brown hair looked up from his work and waved her over. "Good morning Chris! Off to try again I assume?" Despite the large bustling distance of Violet City, its people were quite close. As such, they knew most everything about everyone.

Chris went over and bowed to the man. "Yes sir Mr. Forrest! I think this time will be the charm!"

He gave a deep chuckle and held out a small package. "Very well then. This is from the wife. For luck." Crystal grinned. Anybody who said Mr. Forrest was a fool had never met his wife, or tried her cooking.

"Tell her thank you so much! See you later!" That fact was probably true, as she would most likely have to pass her home again, but the thought counted.

Minutes later on the outskirts of town, Crystal inhaled deeply and exhaled a happy sigh. It felt good to be finally truly leaving on a journey, even if it was only a short one. Whether she got the job or not, she would be happy to have ventured outside the walls of her little world for a short while.

Looking up, she saw some Pokemon running through the grass. Smiling, she pulled a few Pokeballs from her bag. I have some spare time…

Professor Elm almost never questioned his mentor or the man's decisions. There was no point to it in his opinion, as the man was usually right. He had been right when he won the Pokemon League all that time ago, when he had left the Association, and when he had chosen who would carry the Pokedex the first go-around. (There were probably many other things his senior was right about, but he didn't know about those.)

However, this time, he had to rebel. There was no logical way that this pairing could work. From what he read in their Trainer files, they would most likely kill each other first, with or without someone else chaperoning them. Idly, Elm wondered if the man was getting senile in his old age after all. Rumors could be true.

Oak, who had been leafing through one of his files, glanced up at the younger man. As if reading his kohai's mind, he inquired, "Is something the matter Elm?"

For a moment the man was struck dumb, obviously not expecting to be asked his input. Then, he managed, "Professor, pardon my rudeness, but how can you expect this to work? These two are incompatible together, no matter what you do. We don't need to meet them to know that, the files alone say it. How can you expect them to fulfill such a crucial task?"

Oak gave him a grandfatherly smile. "In reply to that, how can they not?"

Elm wanted to protest and explain but a knock at the door halted that idea. He scowled briefly before plastering a smile on his face. A Sentret, which had been sorting piles on the desk, leapt onto his owner's back as he went to the door. Opening it, the professor almost lost his smile, so great was his surprise.

He recognized Joey instantly, who was panting slightly with the heavy duffel at his side. Next to him was someone almost unreal. Now, he may be an absent-minded man, somehow easily absorbed into his work, but he paid great attention to his acquaintances whenever he could. As such, he had known about the changes in his friend's son, but had not expected them to be quite so severe.

What had once been, in his mind at least, a smiling, bouncy five year old, was now a twelve year old male with a pair of indifferent amber eyes and a tense hold on himself as he stared almost concernedly at the youngster beside him. He was taller, lucky for him, but he barely reached the middle of lanky Elm's chest, hat or otherwise. Aitaro, the boy's trusty Aipom, gave Elm a respectable nod. The odd motion caused the other youth to look up. Immediately, Gold bowed respectfully.

"Professor Elm, it's been a long time." The man suppressed a shudder. Even the voice was empty.

"Indeed it has," he replied, broadening the grin. "Come in you two. Joey, give me that bag before you fall over." The youngster nodded gratefully and heaved the bag to the professor's arms. Elm struggled not to sag over with the weight. How had he managed to carry such a heavy bag for so long? He had quite the stamina. Both entered the room and Aitaro quickly shut the door. Professor Oak came out from the office. He didn't limp or stoop as many people of his age would. The old man greeted both children with a friendly smile. Joey immediately bowed in respect while Gold stared openly at him. The surprise was faint, but noticeable and there was a trace of astonishment in the amber eyes.

"You- you're Professor Oak aren't you? You're that famous professor who won the Pokemon League all those years ago and became an researcher afterward," he questioned. This was a person to respect, with plenty to teach. Oak nodded.

"Yes. And you are…"

"Gold," the younger replied curtly. "Gold of New Bark Town. Nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you as well," Unsurprising to Elm, his mentor wasn't even ruffled by the young man's cold nature. His grandson was incredibly similar. Actually he was probably worse. Oak glanced at his student. "Well there's one… now where is the other?" Elm simply shrugged.

"I don't know. How strange. She's usually not late to meetings." Gold started at the mention of a girl.

They're sending a girl along too, he thought incredulously. Not to mention one with a terrible internal clock! Well as long as I don't have to work with her I won't have to strangle these people. He smirked arrogantly. She's probably a ditz too.

How wrong he was.

Crystal was running. She couldn't believe she was so late. Who could have known? Smoopyon was right behind her, crying out in indignation. The Pokemon was right but still…

"How was I supposed to know it would take so long to catch all of them?" she pointed out half-heartedly. Smoopyon rolled her eyes, surprised at her trainer's excuse and uncharacteristically absentminded behavior. "Ah well, I hope these Pokemon will make up for it." Bolting up to the door, she knocked twice in a hopefully sedate manner. The door opened a few seconds later and a boy opened the door. He gazed at her underneath his spiky mop of black hair with cool amber eyes. Behind him peered an adult with brown hair. He smiled.

"Ah, you're Crystal right?" Startled from her shock, she nodded.

"Yes, that's me. I apologize for being late." The girl bowed hurriedly. The boy scoffed, evidently unimpressed. She ignored him.

The man's smile widened, seeming a bit false. "My name is Elm and this boy here is Gold." Gold nodded stiffly, still staring coldly at her. It was starting to get annoying.

Before anything else could be said, an explosion came from the second floor of the lab.

I forgot this last chapter.

Nii-san- Dearest Older Brother

Senpai (Sempai? Been questioning that for ages.)- Senior

Kohai- junior

Fuyu

Years
    • Age 29
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    Chapter 2: Battle Sense

There was no time to think, or even react. First there was fire and then there were black-dressed grunts. There were at least ten of them surrounding the area, each clutching a Pokeball almost playfully. Crystal tensed and Smoopyon bounced in front protectively.

"Well, well," drawled one of the grunts, which tipped his hat in a falsely polite fashion. "Why hello there. You're doing something awfully suspicious aren't you? Pokemon are training outside a lab and children are running to your door. Seems rather odd to even the most decent of folk."

"Well," cut in a cool voice. "You aren't exactly decent folk, so forgive me if I'm not so polite." Before anyone could blink, a yellow blur slammed into the grunt's stomach. He coughed and stumbled backward. The Pikachu landed just as a powerful jet of flame came at the grunt. Gold saw why. The man had released an Elekid as he fell, which had charged forward toward the unknown assailant. The Elekid too was brushed aside like a bothersome fly. Two youths stepped forward, one with messy black hair clothed in red and the other with spiky brown and a green jacket. What appeared to be an orange dragon at first glance was following them, looking somewhat amused for some reason. Both looked past the others toward the fallen minion, which was standing up slowly. The man glared and pulled out another Pokemon, which looked like a red octopus. Crystal gaped briefly. Are they…

"Who the hell are you?" The brown-haired teen raised an eyebrow.

"You really are stupid aren't you?" he questioned dully. Without waiting for an answer he ordered, "Charizard, Flamethrower again!"

Is this guy an idiot? Gold thought coldly. Fire is weak against water. That Charizard's attack, no matter how strong, won't do much of anything against that Octillery. Gold was wrong. Before the attack hit however, water burst from Octillery's mouth. Steam rose from the colliding powers and he faintly glimpsed the octopus joining the Elekid, unconscious in a pile.

Gold felt his jaw drop. Such power! These guys were barely any older than him but they were... This isn't possible, he thought. It can't be. Abruptly, a grunt leapt through the steam charging toward him. Before he could so much as blink however, a firm hand pushed him back. A brunette was holding him back with one hand and keeping the fist aloft with the other. She struck, slamming her knee into the Rocket's chest. He choked and she flipped lightly onto his back, knocking the minion to the ground. As the man started to struggle, a blade was gently nestled near his jugular vein.

"I-I wouldn't do that if I were you," she whispered. "I-I'm really jumpy and I don't want my hand to slip." He gulped and fell still, eyes wide. Scowling, she thwacked the pressure point, knocking him out cold. She stepped off of him, perfectly expressionless. "How pathetic grunts are," she commented offhandedly, moving on to her next opponent.

The other male, who had been staring off into the distance almost lazily, whistled. The Pikachu bolted in the direction they had come and a burst of electricity came moments later. Afterwards, it trooped back toward its trainer with a smirk. Behind it came a giant plant-like creature. Two Rocket grunts were unconscious on the giant pink flower while the rest were wrapped in strong vines.

"Who…who are you?" asked one, eyes wide. The second male sighed, palming his face. The first rolled his eyes.

"I always thought my reputation would follow me everywhere," the first commented wryly, a smirk curving his lips upward.

"What do you expect?" his friend asked dryly. "They're idiots."

"Truly," commented the female softly, the faintest of leers twitching her lips. Gold felt a mild flicker of irritation. He didn't know either, but he wasn't stupid. The black-haired male walked over to the questioner and smirked.

"Here's a hint," he whispered. "I'm the champion." Gold shuddered with surprise. He was the Champion of the Pokémon League: Red of Pallet Town of four years ago. There was no one else that age who fit the quota. No one had been able to steal the title from him in the league last year. Of course, no one had tried. Then they're the runners' up: Green Oak and Blue. He inwardly groaned. Just what am I getting into?

The Rocket grunts looked at each other, an icy cold chill running down each of their spines. They had failed their missions. The leader had warned them of this, of the Trainers chosen by Professor Oak and their power. They had also been told to only watch and report the actions of the legend's work. Their master would be displeased and, oh, how they would suffer for it.

Red sensed their fear oozing from them like pus and couldn't keep the pity from welling up in his chest. Their leader was a tyrant, that much was now confirmed. However, judging by the way he had chosen to rule, he was not a stupid tyrant. Despite the tyranny however, they had picked this. So he had no reason to keep them here. In fact, because they would go back anyway, it was best to throw them to the wolves they were a part of. He sighed softly. And people say being a hero is easy. Yeah right. He wasn't sure that heroes existed anymore.

He signaled Saur, who dumped the two unceremoniously on the ground and released the others to collapse to their knees. When they managed to catch their breath and look up, Red was looming over them, crimson eyes as expressionless as he could make them. "Leave now," he said quietly and dangerously. "If you don't, I can't promise you'll live." I can't promise you live after you leave either. As if to emphasize the point, his Pikachu growled threateningly and smirked. It seemed to say, "I'll kill you whenever I feel like it. You're just my chew toys."

A couple gave him murderous looks, which he pointedly ignored, while the rest fled for their lives, leaving behind their comrades. The term loyalty is lost on grunts. He purposely turned away from the lingering strays and walked away, headed in the direction of the lab. His friends were already inside. And they say I'm impatient. That or Blue was getting twitchy. Let's see now...

Everything happened very fast. The two grunts bolted to their feet and charged at the Champion from behind, only to find their feet frozen in place. Gold had moved, incredibly quickly for someone of his stature, to stand behind the first. He held, of all things, a billiard cue, like a golf club, preparing to smack the man's neck. Crystal was a step behind, her Smoochum ready to freeze more than their feet. Pikachu was nestled almost comfortably on the second man's throat, tail placed like a knife.

Impressive, for a couple of kids. Was that what people thought when they saw me? Red turned and walked back over, expression now mildly amused. "I must give you credit," he commented, sounding as though he were merely talking about his shoes. "You certainly are awfully determined. However," Pikachu sank his tail in slightly, dots of blood blooming at the points where the pointed fur was sinking into the skin. "Determination only gets you so far. You have to have strength first. And you'll never have enough strength to beat us." This time he offered a small smile. "Pika." Pika jumped off and shattered the ice at their feet. "Go now," he ordered cheerily. "You're lucky I'm merciful." You're lucky I've never killed anyone in cold blood, like Blue. This time they obeyed. As soon as they were specks on the road, Red gave a relieved sigh and smiled at the younger two. "Glad that's over."

It was slightly cold inside, due to the spring breeze flowing from the shattered wall. Charizard and Pika were standing guard by the gaping hole, while other Pokemon scurried about, helping to fix the tattered mess of an office. Joey was unpacking the bag he had carried, looking perfectly unbothered by both the destruction and the previous fighting. Aitaro was helping him in silence, which Gold allowed. Gold felt a flicker of respect for the younger boy; he himself was still a bit uncomfortable deep down. Training gave you skill, not experience. He would make sure to remember that. Everyone else settled down at the table. It was this way that Gold finally took the time to observe them. Each person had a distinct way and it revealed more about them than their mouths ever could. Observing beat talking by a long shot, as far as he was concerned. And it was normal; it was something he could do.

He looked first at the professors. Oak seemed genial enough, speaking with his junior as though they had never been interrupted. Gold could see that underneath the labcoat, there was a broad figure. He defined the word power. The boy could sense it: if he wanted to, the professor could put him in the hospital. How can someone like this just stop fighting? It was something he had constantly asked, and never understood. Elm, however, was slightly twitchy. He was not a fighter, that much was true. Gold remembered that. Elm had always been intellectual, preferring to wield a pen instead of a Pokeball. He was good at what he did, so there was nothing to comment on over it. To each their own, I suppose.

He looked over at the other teenagers. Red was a calm light, a presence of relaxed confidence. To look at him now, you would not think he could produce that cool contempt or cheerfully make death threats. He was smiling at Blue and trying to raise her spirits. It didn't seem to be working but even Gold would award him for trying. An Espeon was in his lap, snoozing away as he absently stroked its fur. He had never seen a real Espeon before, only pictures. He had a feeling he would never own one; machines in his opinion needed no affection. Green was also confident, but this confidence was more of ice than his best friend's wild fire. He had a small, pale book out and was reading it dispassionately. There was something about the two of them sitting across from each other that made Gold think of yin-yang. Symbolism is incredibly annoying when you're trying to compile data on people.

Gold glanced over at the end of the table, where the older girl was sitting. For some reason pity welled up inside his chest, pity and perhaps fear. All the courage the other two wore was almost nonexistent in her. She had it, but the pure strength and honor the other two wielded was tempered by the darkness that stood out in her. She was curled up in the chair, head resting on her knees, Her eyes were closed but every now and again she would open and look at them- at him- with wide blue circles. The circles were duller and darker than even his gaze apparently. Considering people told him he looked like he had demon eyes; that said a lot. Out of everyone here, she is the one who could kill me without a second thought. She knows little about people, except how to trick them and how to destroy them.

At last, he stared at the final girl. He frowned pensively. She, like him, was still rattled, judging by the forcibly neutral expression on her face as she rummaged through a rectangular bag. From what he saw of her Pokemon, they were about the same level as his. She was nothing to boast about, but nothing to underestimate either. Gold guessed from what he had seen of her, she was one of those bubbly, ditzy girls who only became determined at the last second. She was a hindrance, plain and simple.

Done observing, he wondered to himself for a while, furthering distraction. What in Mew's name are all these powerful people doing together? And what am I supposed to do in all of this? He felt a prickle at the back of his neck and worried. He trusted that sensation, knew it like the back of his hand. It meant change and Gold didn't like change, not at all. Change ruined everything.

The conversation between the professors abruptly ended and Professor Oak turned to them all, silencing the teenagers. "Well then," he began. "I do believe it is time for us to begin. How about you two introduce yourselves then?" He looked at the youngest two who looked at each other and shrugged.

"I'm Gold of New Bark Town. Pleasure." Cold and composed, he was grateful his voice didn't sound like a trembling child's.

"I'm Crystal of Violet City. Pleased to meet you all." He was surprised. She didn't sound like what he expected at all.

Oak's smile seemed to widen. "Same to the both of you. Second," he glanced over at the older teens. "Anything to report on those assailants of ours?"

Green shrugged. "Their Pokemon have changed but still they are nothing to boast about for experienced trainers. It's still good for controlling citizens and beginners though."

"There were too many of them for just a patrol," Red pondered, looking thoughtful. "Like Green said, nothing worth screaming about but I wonder…."

"They were spying on us," Blue said softly from her chair. Everyone turned to her. She flinched almost imperceptibly but steadily plowed on. "Like Red said there were too many for a simple patrol. They must have watched our movements for days from New Bark or Cherrygrove. I'm surprised I didn't notice." The last part was said almost as an afterthought, her eyes averted.

Red disagreed. "None of us did. They were so beneath our radar. That teaches us. Never underestimate your opponent. Out of all of us, I should have remembered that."
    Green simply shrugged, dog-earing the page he was on. "I don't think they saw anything of great importance. Will it affect your plans any Grandpa?" He glanced over at him, finally putting his book down. The professor shook his head. "Then there's nothing to worry about. We were planning on relocating as it was after today."

"Words of the arrogant," Blue chided quietly but raised no other objections.

"Well then," Elm began. "Onto the next part, mainly; the reason you two were called here." Something in the younger professor's tone caused the two to straighten. "As you know, Team Rocket has been in control of the Johto region for six years. That is two years less than Kanto. Thanks to the efforts of these three," He gestured to the older teens. "Our possession was slowed down significantly. Unfortunately, they could not completely overthrow the corrupt agency."

"Why not?" Gold's tone was brusque, angered slightly. Johto might have been safe if they had. Everything could have been okay if they had!

Red spoke up, covering for Elm's brief speechlessness. "I know how you feel. Believe me I asked the same thing four years ago. But if we had continued the invasion and somehow won, overthrowing Team Rocket, what would we have done next? The regions would have been in a state of pure chaos. There would have to be a complete restructure of the government and the Pokemon League and gym system. Not to mention on the repairs and reconstruction that would end up happening. We didn't have the resources or plans to do any of that and it seriously annoyed me."

"And what makes now so different from four years ago?" Crystal asked. She didn't sound as rude as Gold, simply curious. Gold didn't care how he looked or sounded; he wanted answers. And who cared about after? What mattered was now.

Blue shrugged at her. "We don't have a choice now," she murmured. "He is moving."

"Who?"

"The overall leader of Team Rocket," Green replied, fixing Crystal with a look. He was analyzing her, forcing her not to squirm. To her credit, she remained still. "He's decided to extend his reach to Hoenn. I've heard they've got their own turmoil at the moment so I can't say he's an idiot but…"

"Also, since then we've been preparing for what happens after that, we're certain we have a future ahead of us." Red's tone was utterly optimistic. Blue wore a small smile and Green was smirking and shaking his head. To them, Red was just being Red.

But to Gold, he was just being an idiot. "What does that have to do with us?"

Red glanced at Gold and grinned. "How would you like to take down Team Rocket for good?"
    Gold's heart leapt in delight but he forced himself to remain indifferent. "And how do you suggest we do that, weak as we are?" He didn't want to kid himself, no matter how much he tried to make certain he fought Team Rocket, he was nothing special.

"It's exactly because you are weak that you were chosen," Blue mumbled. "Weak people are overlooked, forgotten until it is too late. Then, when they are known, they are strong and it is too late. They strike back, and win." Both younger trainers were dumbstruck. They had never thought of it like that.

"Exactly," agreed Professor Oak. "At the moment, Team Rocket's leader is searching for two people, children from what the rumors have gathered, that somehow have the ability to destroy their opponents on all fronts and prevent any resistance. That's unlikely, but to be on the safe side, we need to find them first. That's where you two come in. While you two search, Red and Green will be stirring up the rebellion and infiltrating the main base."

"How could two kids destroy a resistance by themselves?" It was Crystal's turn to be skeptical. Red twitched, holding back laughter. Green was smirking.

Blue replied, perfectly deadpan, "How could three children, by themselves, take out the Team Rocket branch in Kanto?" Crystal blushed and fell silent. Gold rolled his eyes derisively.

"I understand why you're skeptical," Green stated, reclining back in his chair. "You'll be worse in a minute. There have been rumors floating through Team Rocket, rumors of these two having special powers of some sort, mostly over Pokemon. Normally this would immediately become none of our concern, but considering the rumors that he's been searching for ten years, we thought of it as something to look into."

Red asked, "Have you all heard of the Sanctuary?" Both immediately shook their heads. He nodded. "Thought so. It's talked about more by elders anyway, which is where I heard of it. There's rumor of a place that is outside of reality. It's a safe-haven for those who need a place to hide or rest. It's said that people walk past or through it without even knowing it."

"Can only the pure of heart go there?" Gold inquired sarcastically. He hated stories like that.

"Obviously not or they wouldn't be asking you," Crystal muttered darkly. Red smiled quietly.

"No one's sure. But there have been more reports of passing through a mysterious field and not going through again on the way back. Since they've been happening more and more lately, the assumption is if that once was that way, it's loosing that power. Considering the kids have been hunted for ten years with little leads, we're pretty sure that's where they are."

"So what? Are we just being sent on a wild goose chase for two kids who could possibly be useless?" Gold's earlier elation had turned to disgust and anger.

How Red kept calm under this circumstance was beyond Crystal, who currently wanted to throttle the boy next to her. "It's not a goose chase. We have a lead and no matter how elusive he is; he will be able to help us. And these kids obviously can do something or they wouldn't be so sought after. Besides, you will most likely run into Team Rocket on the way." There was a sly-you want that right- in his statement, causing the amber-eyed boy to clench his fists under the table.

"So chill," Green muttered. "War is fought on multiple fronts. This is a war, know it or not. And besides, unless you know something we don't it's all we've got." Gold huffed softly and sat back. He would accept this. As long as Team Rocket went down, as long as he could take him out, he didn't give a damn.

Red suddenly snickered. "Never thought you would tell someone to chill." Blue nodded while Green gave his friend and rival a roll of the eyes.

"To summarize," Blue said softly, causing everyone to turn. "Red will mobilize the revolution force as Green infiltrates Team Rocket. I will be helping you two in locating our lead and eventually the Sanctuary. Once those supposed two are found, we will enlist their help and finish him off once and for all. Do you accept?"

Back