• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are you even here?

TY

In every game, there are characters that are utterly useless and bringing nothing to the story at all.

Which characters do you think that is useless and why?

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I haven't beaten Resident Evil Revelations yet, but as far as I am, I'd say Rachel. By the time you get to her, she's already dead, then ends up stalking you around the ship. She basically becomes Mr. X with boobs and barely any significance to the overall storyline.

I was going to say Jester from Devil May Cry 3, but then I played Mission 13...

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Pretty much 80% of the cast in Suikoden. There are some characters who you can bring to battle just for fun but offer no plot relevance and are completely outclassed by 60 other playable characters. And then you have those who offer no plot relevance and you can't bring to battle along with having no role as a NPC other than saying useless crap. Even the girl who does laundry all day can be brought in battle and some of the non-battle characters can at least provide services like opening an inn or a gambling table to provide infinite funds for your army. But what's the point in Esmeralda, her only role in the game is to make you hunt down an incredibly rare item from a specific random encounter just so she will sit around your castle doing nothing and show up during a cut scene at the end of the game which requires you to recruit all the characters.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In every game I play, there's at least one character that I find useless. In Star Fox 64, it was Slippy. He used to get himself into trouble with the enemies a lot, and it was hard for me to constantly rescue him. He also addresses himself in third person throughout the entire game, which was quite annoying. In Super Mario Brothers, it's Dry Bones. They're like Koopas, but you'll be unable to use their shells once you defeat them. In Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, it was Navi, Link's fairy companion. I haven't found her to be helpful at all. She got in my way on many occasions, and she repeated the same information over and over throughout the game (which was very uneeded).

TY

Dr. Stetmann from StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty.

He is soooo annoying and most of the time he does nothing at all (only appears in one mission as a OP medic which i didnt need at all (even not on Brutal). Most of the time you talk to Dr. Hanson in the lab and Stetmann just stands there... Why couldnt they just gave me 3 medics in that mission instead of him

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    I wouldn't say they're completely useless, but the Chaotix team from a bunch of the Sonic games seemed a little out of place for me. I did end up liking the characters, but overall they were treated as extras in my mind and bared no importance. Adding on to that, I felt like Slippy from Starfox 64 was rather useless. The fact that he talked in third person didn't necessarily help his case, either. A good side of that is shooting him down yourself and getting rid of the annoyance once and for all!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Navi from the Legend Of Zelda series! "Hey! Listen!" a thousand times a day definitely gets old, and although sometimes it was there to assist you, most of the time it was a pain and nuisance to your travels through Hyrule. Fortunately, the pesky fairy didn't bring down possibly what was Nintendo's best LoZ game in Ocarina of Time. The bright side is, Navi's design has become pretty popular among fans, and it's also formed into some kind of mascot for the series. An interesting turnaround for such a character.

Back