• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your "Holy Grail War"?

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Type Moon is a company. Fate/Stay Night and related media come from that company. The "Holy Grail War" concept is from such media >.>

If you've ever watched/played the Fate series and have come up with your own Holy Grail War, post your chosen Servants here! :D

I'll staaart:

Saber: Joan of Arc
    Archer: Teddy Roosevelt
    Rider: Saladin
    Lancer: Hitler*
    Assassin: Operation Neptune Spear
    Berserker: Johannes Liechtenauer
    Caster: White Buffalo Woman
    Saver: Morya
    Avenger: Anonymous
    Trainer: Solomon

*He was a hero to many, even if later on the world calls him a villain. He was, nonetheless, legendary - and so having anyone see him as a hero pretty much lets him in.

--

What Servants would YALL want? ^^

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Hitler as a "heroic spirit" makes more sense than I'm sure people are going to give it credit for, at least in the context of the nasuverse. There are plenty of "heroic" servants that are far from the traditional definition of "heroic."

I really liked some of the servants in Fate/Extra and felt that they fit very well (Robin Hood, for example). Also, Nero was fantastic, and not just because she was voiced by Sakura Tange (though it didn't hurt). To that end, I think maybe they could explore the Greek mythos a bit more. There were some really interesting stories that came from Greek mythology, my favorites being Odysseus' return from the Trojan War as depicted in the Odyssey (and all the associated anecdotes) and Orpheus' (ultimately tragic) journey into the underworld to save his wife. There's a lot of stuff there to work with.

I also liked the "Divina Commedia" and the associated characters, though there's a lot of historical political context in the tale. Still, at its face, it's not hard to understand and it's a widely known story, so maybe Nasu could do something with that.

They could also do some interesting stuff with modern history, such as figures from the past hundred years. Revolutionaries, despots, thinkers, activists, there are a lot of different types of characters to choose from. Or maybe a few hundred years back: the discovery of the new world, colonization, the Renaissance, British imperialism, and all of the things that led to the modern world?

There's a lot of material in history that can be leveraged to spin all sorts of tales, I think. I like the idea of using historical figures to tell a story because you already have interesting stories to work with, characters with all sorts of motivations and ideals. There's a lot you can do with it and the fact that we don't really know all that much for certain makes it even easier (revisionist history is a field unto itself). And of course, since it's fiction, you can always twist things a bit to make it a bit more interesting.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    That's...cool.

I'm kind of looking for you to set up a Grail War of your own, though. :P That's the point of this thread.

You touched on some good points, though. I think people often don't notice just how many Greco-Roman figures are already in Type Moon. Nero is one but Medea was also Greco-Roman. So was Alexander the Great.

I'd like it if more Norse heroes existed. Like Erik the Red, for example.

I also agree that more recent legends should be included, but to what extent? Einstein would be a great candidate but what exactly would his powers be? Oh, and four of my picks are recent - Hitler, Operation Neptune Spear, Teddy R., and Anonymous.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Oh, I don't know what I'd pick for my own kind of story. I'd have to think about it a lot, you want to get a good mix of people with conflicting ideologies so that there's enough friction for it to be interesting. Sorry, I know that's not a very good answer.

I don't know much about Norse mythology, so I think it would probably be pretty interesting to me.

I think if you have a character like Einstein, you would want to do something related to his work. Some sort of representation of some of his more well-known contributions, like his theory of relativity. Maybe something with time dilation? That's always an interesting phenomenon.

Back