• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Used Games and Developers

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    "If I am purchasing games in order to reward their creators, and to ensure that more of these ingenious contraptions are produced, I honestly can't figure out how buying a used game was any better than piracy. From the the perspective of a developer, they are almost certainly synonymous." -Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Many developers have made it clear that they hate the used games industry; they do all the hard work of making the game, then Gamestop turns around, buys the game for 20 bucks, resells it for 55, and pockets the entire profit. Used games drive down sales and harm developers, who receive payments in the form of loans; if the game fails, they have to pay some of that money back. If the game is mostly bought used, then it fails and the developer loses. Add to this that gamers demand engaging stories (that can only truly be experienced once) and that multiplayer is the big way to keep people playing the game, and we have games that don't match the vision of the developer because they're hoping to keep you playing so you don't sell the game back.

On the other hand, AAA games are extremely expensive - $60 is not an impulse buy for many people, especially of the age that play video games regularly. Often used games are chosen by the player specifically for the cutting out of the developer; they can play the game while still sending the message that the developer gets no money for whatever reason they choose. And when games go out of production, used is the only way to buy them.

With all these reasons on both sides of the spectrum, used games are contentious in the gaming community - they pit gamer against developer, a fight that should really never be happening. Is there a solution? Or are we doomed to fight with the people making what we love (or the people loving what we make) forever, souring a relationship that should be good?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    This isn't something I really dwell too hard on, so my point of view is more of a collector's view...and even then, I'm not a major collector either. More of a minor since I collect what I like, not just to collect.

When it comes to new games, I want to buy them new. I don't want a used copy of something new. I want it nice and sealed, with the manuals, no dents and such on the box, etc. I'm very picky about new games as well, so when I do buy a game, it's usually one I'm for certain I want and will always keep, so I basically never sell my games. In this case, the developers are benefitting from my purchase and I'm benefitting because I'm getting a nice, clean new game. Awesome for us!

With older games, it's difficult to buy them sealed and new. Most of the time, the prices are insane. So buying used is the key. Let's use Jak and Daxter for example, because you all know how I feel about that! I missed out on it as a kid because I didn't have a PS2. So, instead of buying it in 2001 like most people, I got it over 10 years later. Do I feel bad about buying it used? No. Like I said, it's over 10 years old. And we're way beyond the point where Naughty Dog would have needed my money. We're way past the time that they would have benefited from my purchase of the game, so in these cases, I don't feel like I've done some crime against the developers. The same goes for buying Sly Cooper or Mario Paint used (which I did!). The developers have already reaped the rewards from the initial success of the game. What little I paid 10-20 years later doesn't affect anyone at this point.

That's just how I see it, anyway. Again, this isn't really me thinking much about the developers of the game, this is just my general rule of thumb, so it may not be exactly what you're looking for here. Also, it's important to note that I spend a lot of time looking to buy older games anyway, and in this year alone, I've only gotten three new games. One was a gift from my dad, one was a free digital download (and of a game I had already bought last year), and the other was one I actually purchased.

I hope the way I go about my purchases doesn't bother anyone btw. I know there are some people that feel really strongly about this situation, so yeah.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Most of my games are digital downloads through a much cheaper source (ie, Steam, Humble Bundle, Amazon sales, etc)
    If I'm buying a physical copy, I prefer to buy new because I don't want someone's crappy, scratched up copy. I want it clean and undamaged when I buy it. I certainly don't do it for the developer, though, and I will buy a game used if it's in good shape. You just can't convince me to pay $40-60 for the exact same thing that is being sold for $10-20. Garage sales are the best thing.

Any company is going to screwed over eventually; they win some, they lose some. I don't see how it's any different from buying your car used because it's a fraction of the cost and still runs, or buying clothes from a thrift store, or even something like TJ Maxx instead of the far more expensive, original designer.

If someone wants to buy a game for $60, play it for 2 weeks and then sell it on craigslist for $20, I'll happily grab it. The developers already got paid for that game, and frankly, it's that individuals right to sell something that they paid for and no longer want to have.

Yukari

This isn't something I really dwell too hard on, so my point of view is more of a collector's view...and even then, I'm not a major collector either. More of a minor since I collect what I like, not just to collect.

When it comes to new games, I want to buy them new. I don't want a used copy of something new. I want it nice and sealed, with the manuals, no dents and such on the box, etc. I'm very picky about new games as well, so when I do buy a game, it's usually one I'm for certain I want and will always keep, so I basically never sell my games. In this case, the developers are benefitting from my purchase and I'm benefitting because I'm getting a nice, clean new game. Awesome for us!

With older games, it's difficult to buy them sealed and new. Most of the time, the prices are insane. So buying used is the key. Let's use Jak and Daxter for example, because you all know how I feel about that! I missed out on it as a kid because I didn't have a PS2. So, instead of buying it in 2001 like most people, I got it over 10 years later. Do I feel bad about buying it used? No. Like I said, it's over 10 years old. And we're way beyond the point where Naughty Dog would have needed my money. We're way past the time that they would have benefited from my purchase of the game, so in these cases, I don't feel like I've done some crime against the developers. The same goes for buying Sly Cooper or Mario Paint used (which I did!). The developers have already reaped the rewards from the initial success of the game. What little I paid 10-20 years later doesn't affect anyone at this point.

That's just how I see it, anyway. Again, this isn't really me thinking much about the developers of the game, this is just my general rule of thumb, so it may not be exactly what you're looking for here. Also, it's important to note that I spend a lot of time looking to buy older games anyway, and in this year alone, I've only gotten three new games. One was a gift from my dad, one was a free digital download (and of a game I had already bought last year), and the other was one I actually purchased.

I hope the way I go about my purchases doesn't bother anyone btw. I know there are some people that feel really strongly about this situation, so yeah.

This really.

If I want a game, I want it in good condition without the abuse that almost all used games have, I don't want a disk that is covered in scratches to the point that it's unplayable And I don't want a box that's covered in scratches and dents or generally bad shape.

Since trying to find an old retro game in this kind of condition is really a lost cause and if you do then it's usually +$300 USD. So I usually just buy it used. It really isn't harming the DEV in any way so the way I see it that isn't such a big deal.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    I have no problem with buying either used or new games.

If the game came out right now then I'm not going to waste my time buying some used game when I can get it new very easily. However, if it's an old game which is five to ten years old it's ridiculous to think that I'm going to scour every videogame store in the country looking for a fresh and new game. At those times I buy used games.

Back