• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] Ending a Cycle

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
  • I decided to post this short story after reading the prompt for this week, hopefully I made it in time for it seeing as it's the end of the week.

Ending A Cycle

Circles...

If you honestly look at the world everything seemed to cycle back to that word as he sat there rocking in his chair. Mad scribblings covered the wall where white paint was originally with pieces of papers of taped haphazardly here and there. A bed sat in the corner with a black briefcase laying on it and in the middle of the room up against the wall was the computer. The person sitting in the chair abruptly stood up as he took the flash drive currently in the computer and went over to the bed.

What he had found was something that he shouldn't have, but it was too late now. He had to leave, he didn't know where but he had to leave! Something was after him and the fear of it capturing him was only increasing as his only contacts seemed to disappear slowly after he contacted them. He constantly felt like he was being watched and he was losing his composure more and more, he hadn't slept for more than an hour or two in the last 72 hours out of fear.

Opening the briefcase he looked at the multicoloured sphere that sat in it with contempt before rushing towards the bathroom. He briefly glanced at himself in the mirror of his cabinet above the sink, his shaggy brown hair was unkept and his green eyes were nearly bloodshot and he noticed that something was changing about them. It was like circular rings were beginning to form around the pupil, that wasn't good. It meant he was changing, becoming more like those of the other world.

As he opened his cabinet and searched for what he wanted it dawned on him that he was still wearing the white button up shirt, black pants and shoes from yesterday along with the slightly bloody and singed lab coat. It didn't matter though, if he could go ahead with his plan today then everything would end...and then he'd end himself. That was the only way he could think of...because soon he'd have no time left. Pushing his glasses up as he pulled out an unmarked pill bottle he spoke calmly aloud to himself in the mirror.

"I am still human. My name is Brandon Brown, age 29, height 5 foot 9 inches, weight 154.2 pounds. I was born December 2nd 1986 and I will die today December 2nd 2015, not as a monster but as a human who stopped the cycle."

There wasn't anymore time for reflection Brandon thought to himself as he exited the bathroom and went straight to his briefcase, closing it he began to open his window as a ringing sound alerted him to his phone going off. Reaching into his pocket he fished it out and tapped the screen to answer the call.

"We're here boy, we're coming for you." The message was short and sweet, straight to the point. Brandon however already had plans, he knew how this day would end and he would break this damn cycle.

"I know." He tapped the screen once more, effectively ending the call as he climbed out the window. When he had gotten this apartment the landlord had told him that his room was one that had been here when the place was first built and was high enough up that a fire escape had been built due to the reoccurring fires that had happened due to mysterious accidents. He had never bothered to inspect the accidents, but was happy that he had easy access to the fire escape.

As he climbed down the familiars screams of pain and blood covering the windows was something that he noted, regardless of what he did this always seemed to happen regardless of what he did. Shaking his head slightly he knew that their lives would not be in vain. Now the hard part came as the fire escape ended at the second story of the building he had to jump down and even though he had done it before, his fear of heights always made him hate this part.

Jumping straight down with a practiced motion, he tried to land as the parkour practitioners did to minimize the impact damage. He succeeded somewhat but had to use his hands to stabilize himself as the impact still shook him a bit, his legs ached slightly and his hands were a little scraped but fortunately he took no major damage. No time to stop, quickly getting up fully he began running down the alleyway he landed in. He needed to get to that place quickly or else he would fail.

As he ran out of the alleyway and onto the sidewalk he sprinted as fast he could with a briefcase in his hands as a sudden explosion rocked the building behind him. He knew it was his building without turning around as he had rigged it an hour earlier, to buy a slight bit more time at the least if it managed to do that. Looking back he noticed a figure jump out of the fifth story window a few seconds later and grimaced before ducking away into another alley.

His plan had worked, just not as well as he would have hoped. It was okay though he just needed to hurry up a bit. As the first drops of liquid fell on his head as he continued running the feeling of being watched began to once more invade his senses. It looked like they had caught up to him, it didn't matter though. As the forest entered his line of sight he reached into his pocket and yanked out the pill bottle in his pocket. There was only two left...he sighed as he stopped for one second and then popped both.

The effect was immediate as a strange feeling enveloped his body, his senses seemed super human as he looked at the rain begin to fall in slow motion. To him it was as if he merely walked into the forest on a leisurely stroll and stopped when he reached the lone earthen formation in it. To the rest of the world it was as if one moment he was there and then he wasn't.

The effect of the pill wore off just as quick however as he began to feel what he could only assume dying felt like, his body began to become numb but it was also as if he was on fire. He ignored the pain as best he could as opened his briefcase as his senses slowly returned to normal, grabbing the orb he cringed as he heard the signs of someone else entering the clearing. He must've miscalculated his pursuers speed, but it was too late for them.

"He who creates and he who watches this cycle..." He paused as he coughed up blood into his hand as he had quickly covered his mouth, the second pill was beginning to kick in it seems.

"You asked me what a circle was and despite my answers the many times you've asked this question you told me I was wrong and so I pondered how. How was I wrong and what you wanted? I only came to the conclusion a little bit more than 12 hours ago and a circle is not a simple shape, nor something you peer through, it is not a cycle of life or how things happen either. These are all things that an average person would say...what you wanted to know is that a circle is..." He was suddenly interrupted as a sharp pain erupted from his chest, he had been impaled once more.

Turning his head he saw the two who had killed him many times before, his eyes could only make them out as a blur as his glasses had came off as he fell to the ground with a thud. His voice was little more than a whisper as he turned his head back to the earthen formation.

"A circle...is more than a mere word...it is more than mere shape...it is more than people...a circle is more than life and death...a circle is everything. A circle is infinite and constantly rewinding and will never end, therefore it will exist forevermore much like your self. Elcric..."

There was a moment of silence as the briefcase he carried burst open as the orb floated towards the earthen structure. His ears heard what he thought was a shout of disbelief from one of the people behind him as a bright glow enveloped the clearing. A cracking sound was heard as what appeared to be pieces of glass fell away from the air with an inky darkness filling the void that appeared. It looked at them and then in one singular moment a voice echoed out.

"Good answer..."

And then the world ended.

Back