• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald: Mystery Magikarp Edition

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
This project began when I couldn't sleep one night and had been wanting to do some sort of challenge run, but was bored of Nuzlocke and its countless variants.
I realised that even in first gen, which I've played countless times, there were so many Pokemon I'd never used on a team because I'd always go to my old favourites, so I decided to remove bias by making every Pokemon appear identical. I went with making them look like Magikarp because 'lol Magikarp useless so funny', even though I later realised Ditto might have been a more appropriate choice.

'Features':

• Every Pokemon has Magikarp's sprites
  • Every Pokemon has Magikarp's Pokedex entry
  • Every Pokemon is named Magikarp
  • Messed up sprite animations because I got lazy and only inserted one frame of Magikarp
  • Interesting graphical glitches/deformed Magikarp
Things I did not change:

• Pokemon cries and Pokedex numbers, both of which make it perfectly possible, easy even, to figure out which Pokemon you have and/or are facing if you're enough of a Pokemaniac.
  • Overworld sprites. Sorry, no Magikarp helping you move into your new home, or chasing Prof Birch.
  • The Pokemon are not Magikarp. They still have the stats and moves unique to their species, they just all look the same.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

I've been Let's Playing this hack on Youtube - here's the first video if you want to see it in Magikarp-y action
Spoiler:

I've been playing through this randomised, and with partial Nuzlocke rules (one Pokemon per route, and nicknames, just not the arguably-most-important faint=death rule) and so far it's having the effect I wanted - I don't know what most of my Pokemon are, the ones I HAVE figured out I've never really used before, and I'm judging them based on stats and moves rather than aesthetics or familiarity. I suspect playing it as a full randomised Nuzlocke could end up ridiculously difficult due to not knowing what you're facing, so decided against it myself, though if anyone tries it I'd love to hear how it goes!

I have not yet played far enough to guarantee there are no game-breaking bugs, but it seems unlikely given how minor the changes I have made are.

This is really just a silly little project I made to play through myself, and to see if I could do it, and likely won't receive any further changes except fixing the sprite animations eventually, and maybe change the cries even though I have no idea how to do that.

The patch I have attached is not randomised - if you want to play it randomised, you'll have to do that yourself, I wanted to leave the option of playing un-randomised open to people.

Note: While writing this post, I had a browse around this sub-forum to make sure I was vaguely following posting etiquette, I discovered this has sort of already been done in Pokemon Derpizard. Should have expected I wasn't the first to think of this concept, but ah well I already made the hack and wrote this post so I'm still submitting it :D Also I guess this one is also slightly more serious and Emerald-y for people who prefer that.

Attachments

• Pokemon Mystery Magikarp Version.ips
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
I think this is one of the best idea I have never thought of.

Thanks! I blame/credit sleep deprivation for the idea more than anything.
(late response because I thought I'd turned email notifications for comments on. Oops)

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
Wow...now this is a great idea for a challenge. You'll never get to see what you are really up against.

I need to try this.

If you do try it, I'd love to hear how you get on! In my LP I'm still pretty early on, only got 2 badges so things could change drastically but so far it hasn't been ludicrously difficult. I would have been in big trouble at some points if I'd been playing by Nuzlocke rules though.

Back