• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Project Prism

KurisuSan

Lord of Reality
Years
  • PROJECT: PRISM
    Projected DEMO Release Date: October

INTRODUCTION:
    Codenamed: Project Prism is a fangame made using RPGMaker XP and the Pokemon Essentials base. Project Prism was originally Pokemon Ultralite that was being made as a ROM Hack, but while there are a lot more freedom, the memory restrictions were too much for the amount of space that was needed for what was planned for the game. While working on the story I talked to a friend of mine who is a really good graphic artist and he soon joined on board with me on the project and we entered development shortly afterwards. I've been a fan of Pokemon since it was released in the USA and have been a fan since then. Having grown up playing all forms of RPGs I've sort of drifted away from Pokemon simply because of the lack of a story to help immerse myself in. This is where I decided to create a game. Project Prism is only a placeholder, the actual name of the game, which we have named is still being kept a secret and we will release it when the BETA is about to be released.

STORY:​
    Spoiler:

Characters:​
    Spoiler:

Features:
    • All 721 Pokémon - Every Pokémon is in the game, however 250 are only available through in-game events, more on that later. All have Gen V front, back, shiny, shiny back sprites, Overworld sprites, Gen VI cries, and gen VI types and movesets.
    • HGSS Follower - bringing back one of my favorite features and that is having your lead Pokémon follow you around.
    • Intricate and Deep Story - One of the biggest things that I felt was missing from Pokémon was a story. We have decided to give our hero a voice, choices to be made, and different outcomes for a lot of scenarios in the game. The story is similar to a very watered down version of any Bethesda game where we give your options and you create the story.
    • Two Game Options - There is a pivotal choice in the beginning of the game where you choose what you want your character to do as he graduates from the PokéCademy of choosing between becoming a regular trainer or joining the PIA. Both options allow you to fully explore the region, capture pretty much all the Pokémon, defeat the Gyms and Elite 4 and become Champion, however it's only through joining the PIA that you will get any of the story elements to show up. Choosing the trainer option will make the game behave as it would a regular Pokémon game where your trainer is for the MOST part a silent trainer.
    • Player Housing - Mostly just a money sink, but during our hero's adventure, he is given the option to purchase an old and abandoned house. Through further interactions and purchases, he is able to restore the house and help create himself a home where he can train his Pokémon, heal them, purchase items that aren't on sale anywhere else in the game, and much more.
    • Tons of side quests and secret areas to explore - As stated above, 250 Pokémon are only available through in-game events that are set up as side quests. There are 40 Pokémon you can receive from a trade with another trainer, there are 8 secret areas that require you to solve a puzzle around HMs to get to 2 Pokémon in each area, there are 60 secret areas hidden around all the towns, cities, villages, caves, etc that house a person who will give you a Pokémon for free, 3 Pokémon are received for completing specific events in the game and are awarded to you by your parents, there are 31 quests revolving around the 52 legendary Pokémon, 39 secret dungeons to explore and capture a pre-generated shiny Pokémon, and 50 breeders who offer you an egg to hatch. Please note that all of the Pokémon that are found this way are NOT available for capture in the region.
    • Day and Night System - Capture different Pokémon depending on the time of day, each day is around 35 minutes long.
    • Updated BGM
    • 3 New Evolutions - There are different starters this time around and each of them have been balanced and their base stats raised to match that of the regular starts as well as added a 3rd evolution for all three of them. Set up alternate evolution methods for Pokémon that require trades. Keeping the trade items, they'll be used to evolve the Pokémon on level-up.
    • 2 New Legendaries - Two legendaries have been created for the story and for the Region, more information will be released about them as we finish up the game.
    • Increased Difficulty - Have increased the skill of the trainers as well as how strong their Pokemon are. All Gym Leaders and Elite 4 members have Pokemon with 3 Perfect IVs, perfect EVs, and competitive movesets, and held items. Expect random trainers to have stronger Pokemon as well in the same manner as the Gym Leaders.
    • Battle Circut - Scattered around the Lyros Region, a multitude of tournaments are being held in preparation of the Pokemon World Tournament. Once a player has a win in each of the tournaments and has received the cup for said tournament, he may attend the PWT and attempt to be hailed as the best trainer on the planet. Each tournament has it's own set of rules and regulations. They can be found listed below.
      Spoiler:

[*]Fists of Steel Challenge - There is a trio of Martial Artist Masters who have set up seperate dojos around the Lyros Region and have taken pupils. They have issued a challenge to anyone who has a Will of Steel to battle them. Defeat all each of them to receive a rare Pokemon that isn't available for capture.
      [*]Battle Frontier - Scattered throughout the Lyros Region are replicas of the Battle Frontier. Beat all 7 Battle Brains to receive a Silver Medal and receive the Battle Pass which allows entrance to the grand opening of the new Battle Frontier Island. Defeat all 7 Brains again to receive Gold Medals to receive a reward from Scott. In addition, certain evolutionary and forme change items are only avaialable through the Battle Frontier.
      [*]Open World - That's correct, travel all the way from the beginning of the game to the very end of the game and challenge any of the Gym Leaders in any order you desire. The only note is that they will have set Pokemon levels, meaning if you challenge the final Gym Leader Amee first, she will have the same Pokemon levels as if you challenged her last. Catch Pokemon and battle trainers along the way as well, nothing can get in your way. Develop a full team of your choice before challenging the Gym Leaders or follow the order in which it is designed. Please note that this is ONLY if you choose the Trainer option. Due to the elements within the story and how it progresses this feature will break the game's story and plot elements.
      [*]Secret Encounters - Wandering around the region you will run into familiar faces, these trainers are extremely powerful and will appear to challenge the new Champion of Lyros.
      More to come...

Progress:
    Sprites:90%
    Battlers: 90%
    Overworld: 60%
    Tiles: 80%
    Scripts: 99%
    Events: 20%
    Story: 95%
    Trainers: 50%
    Maps: 15%

Media:
    Spoiler:

Credits:
    Maruno - for everything he does, jeez way too much to list, everyone knows what he has done! Tons of fixes and help with me getting past my idiocy
    Luca S.J - Elite Battle, New Title Screens script,
    FL - Unreal Time System
    Mej12 - for the HGSS Follower Script
    Shiney570 - BW Menu
    Errassus - BW2 Bags script
    LaDestitute - Tutorial on adding Fairy type, I had to do a lot of extra changes to it but I got it to work properly
    princess-phoenix/LunarDusk6 - Gen VI Overworld Sprites
    WesleyFG - PokéCenter tiles, Barn tiles
    RedBlueYellow - BW2 Trainer Sprites, BW2 mugshots,
    The-Red-eX - A large portion of the outdoor tileset
    Worldslayer608 - Gen VI Cries
    Ploaj - for ripping the BW2 Bags
    Barubary - BW2 Overworld Sprites
    Dragoon - HGSS Overworld Sprites
    Lemon - HGSS Text Boxes
    GameFreak - XY Pokedex image to be used for the Pokedex, for making Pokemon
    Nintendo - for producing the franchise
    Project Gen 6 Credits -
    Spoiler:

there's many more I just need to track them all down.

Last edited:

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
  • This is looking pretty good. The story sounds interesting, the features sound pretty interesting.
    My sole suggestion would be to possibly lessen the space between the trees. It looks almost like you can walk between them, which probably isn't the best thing to have mapping-wise.

KurisuSan

Lord of Reality
    Years
  • This is looking pretty good. The story sounds interesting, the features sound pretty interesting.
    My sole suggestion would be to possibly lessen the space between the trees. It looks almost like you can walk between them, which probably isn't the best thing to have mapping-wise.

Thanks, yeah I've been planning this story for over a year, fine tuning it and combing through it over and over lol, now that I am back in development it's progressing nicely. As far as the trees go, they're 3x3 tiles and making them any wider would look weird, also there are secret areas in which you can enter through the trees, which is why I didn't try to make them closer spacing, but looking at it after you have said something it does look like there is a lot of space.

I added two videos showing off both the Pokedex as well as a very early version of the opening scene between you and "Mulberry" haha I really hope my artist is almost done with him so I can get them implemented. Also did a little bit of editing on the MP as well as adding some more information.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Hello this is SetsunaF I'm doing character designs and other sprite stuff so I'll be posting here as much as I can with those things.

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
    Years
  • This is looking really cool! There's only one minor complaint I have...
    Uhm... Well, in your description, you state that you're using Rpg Maker VX and the Pokemon Essentials Kit.
    Well, you're using Rpg Maker XP, as VX doesn't have a Pokemon Essentials Kit. It's just a minor complaint that I have, seeing as I've used thousands of hours in Rpg Maker VXA and MV...
    Sorry!

KurisuSan

Lord of Reality
    Years
  • My sole suggestion would be to possibly lessen the space between the trees. It looks almost like you can walk between them, which probably isn't the best thing to have mapping-wise.

Thanks to this great man right here I noticed that he was right, after thinking on how to fix it, I finally figured it out, updated the OP with the new pictures to show the updated method of displaying the tree barriers. Thanks a lot dude.

Hello this is SetsunaF I'm doing character designs and other sprite stuff so I'll be posting here as much as I can with those things.

Thanks for finally posting in the thread XD mind if I show off your amazing work on the final evolution of our MC's starter?

This is looking really cool! There's only one minor complaint I have...
    Uhm... Well, in your description, you state that you're using Rpg Maker VX and the Pokemon Essentials Kit.
    Well, you're using Rpg Maker XP, as VX doesn't have a Pokemon Essentials Kit. It's just a minor complaint that I have, seeing as I've used thousands of hours in Rpg Maker VXA and MV...
    Sorry!

Hahah thanks for pointing that out! Updated the OP and changed it from VX to XP >.<

Alright! Sorry for the long time in between updates, work has been CRAZY plus my fiancee is pregnant so we have been going to a lot of doctor visits and looking at baby stuff! Exciting times lol. But worry not because progress has NOT slowed down in the bit. We are currently up to the city with the first gym. Currently we are sitting at 62 maps, including all the floors inside buildings. I'm actually going to need some people to help test the first wave of the Alpha up to the first gym because as of the moment I need to make sure I'm not going to overpopulate the routes and areas with trainers to cause leveling too fast. I'll post when I am ready so do NOT post saying you want to test yet. Most likely in the next coming weeks.

Setsuna and I have finished spriting the final evolution for our MC's starter, I won't reveal what he looks like but I will release his name and typing: Gwyllerra and is a Fire/Rock typing.

Also have added to the list of features in the game! There is going to be a Battle Circut, which is simply just tournaments and will be similar to how online competitive battles work where you have restrictions on which Pokémon can participate in the tournaments. All of this is leading up to the Pokémon World Tournament! Also added a Battle Frontier. Unfortunately I cannot find any BF tiles already made so I'll have to make most of them from scratch myself, so if anyone has all the outside tiles I would greatly appreciate it. There's also something similar to the Karate Master you fought in RBY that gave you Hitmonchan/lee and this time it's a trio of brothers, defeat their dojo challenge for some great rewards. Last but not least, we have announced that this will be as open world as we can possibly get it. This essentially means you can go all the way to the final gym without beating any other gyms and can challenge them in any order you desire. Due to the limitations it doesn't mean they will use Pokémon that are lower level. Creating 8 variations of 6 variations of Gym Leaders would be 512 different trainers simply associated with the gyms, which is waaaay too much, but you will be able to go all the way to the final gym and catch any Pokémon along the way.

Updated part of the Story, not much I can reveal as of yet, still a lot to develop lol. Also I changed some coding around the Gym Leaders and members of the Elite 4 to help break up the text.

Thanks for everyone taking time out of their day to check out the game and leave their comments, I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
  • The new maps look amazing. And ooooh the trees. They look so pleasing on the eyes.

I'm almost jealous of your drive and ability to actually work on your game, especially with everything you have going on. I have almost everything in order and an amazing plot yet I can hardly work on my game for more than fives minutes at a time. I've just had no motivation or anything. Heck, I've even ended up helping other people with their projects before even finishing mine.
    I can't tell whether it's procrastination or me not liking to make events.

That being said, this project is looking pretty good, and I'd love to see where exactly this goes.

KurisuSan

Lord of Reality
    Years
  • The new maps look amazing. And ooooh the trees. They look so pleasing on the eyes.

I'm almost jealous of your drive and ability to actually work on your game, especially with everything you have going on. I have almost everything in order and an amazing plot yet I can hardly work on my game for more than fives minutes at a time. I've just had no motivation or anything. Heck, I've even ended up helping other people with their projects before even finishing mine.
    I can't tell whether it's procrastination or me not liking to make events.

That being said, this project is looking pretty good, and I'd love to see where exactly this goes.

I put in around 30-40 hours a week on making this game myself, Setsuna logs a lot of hours designing and then scrapping and then redesigning, he has to deal with a lot because of my perfectionist mentality and he's the same way so even though I gripe at him about something minor he already knows that it needs fixing lol xD. Like with you mentioning those trees hahah it took me like 2 hours to try and figure out how to layer them properly and still be able to create them fast enough and then another 8 hours to fix like the 7 overworld maps that I had that had a ton of trees lol.

I know exactly what you mean, I think I took like 4 days last week and didn't look at the forums, didn't open up RPGM or anything, I just took myself a small break and avoided it because I had been putting in so much work over the past couple weeks that I was losing all of my drive. I've gained a lot of it back, I think I logged like 28 hours over the weekend and Setsuna logged around 12 I believe, we are definitely pushing it and pushing it hard lol.

Honestly I had to make myself start working on it again and once I did that drive and motivation just started in overdrive lol xD what do you need for your game? Maybe I can help with some progress and help ya get that motivation back, nothing helps get me fired up more than progress lol.

Last edited:

KurisuSan

Lord of Reality
    Years
  • Alright, MASSIVE update lol

Updated the WIP for Eriford, we are finished you can take a look under the media tab!
    I also created a working elevator using the HGSS tiles so that's pretty exciting hahah.

Revealed all the quests regarding the Legendary/Mythic Pokemon. They can be found in the Story section as a lot of them also deal with the actual story itself, enjoy the read.

Revealed the Secret areas Pokemon, also in the story section, not much of a read but if any of those Pokemon are ones you want, you may wanna look there.

Announced the mysterious organization Kurayaminonakade Akuma which is Japanese for the "Demon in Darkness" which is an accurate description of what the mysterious group actually does. They hide behind the Akuma Corp. and are the puppetmasters of the other terrorist organizations. They were the ones behind Team Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma, and Flare. As such you are going to be going up against members of all groups, OH BOY! We went this route that way it isn't ALWAYS this team's grunts or that team's grunts you battle throughout the game. This way you have some variety and it'll always be a mystery as to which teams will behind what is going on in the story.

Also I released the teams of the Gym Leaders and that of the Elite 4. I haven't given out levels yet but I probably will in the future. Additionally I've updated the credits list, still not complete lol there is a huge list of credits for this game haha.

Finally I want to announce that we are going to be accepting 4 people for the first wave of ALPHA TESTING!!!!!

If you are interested I am going to need you to copy the form and fill it out and PM me. DO NOT POST IN THE FORUM THAT YOU WANT TO TEST!
    for question 3 please answer with 2 different numbers between 2-5. There is a particular reason for this and will be explained if you are selected for the alpha testing.
    1. How old are you?
    2. How Long you've been playing Pokemon?
    3. How many Pokemon do you want to train?
    4. What initially drew you Project Prism?
    5. Are you willing to make multiple passes through the same content repeatedly?
    6. Have you privately tested other games before?
    6-1. If so which ones and what was expected of you?
    7. Do you understand that if you test this you wont be eligible to test another stage of the Alpha?

Last edited:
    Years
  • When will the game be out? And will we have experience when we catch a pokemon? How about changing clothes?

Last edited:
    Back