• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survival Of The Fittest Challenge

Years
  • Age 31
  • LOL
  • Seen Oct 24, 2016
Survival Of The Fittest Challenge
Also known as the "Healthlocke Challenge"
XOYu3CN.png

The rules of this challenge are simple and can be applied to any standard Pokemon game (meaning, all the Pokemon games that are not spin-offs).

Rules
1: All healing, curing, and restoring items are NOT ALLOWED to be used unless the game forces you to use them. This means, items such as BERRIES (not the Pokeblock ingredient ones), ANTIDOTE, POTION, ETHER, and others are NOT ALLOWED and must be sold immediately. This also goes for things like PARLYZ HEAL, Leftovers, and Poke Flutes (cannot be used to wake up Pokemon (except in instances of waking up a Pokemon blocking your path), and so on.

2: POKECENTERS are now completely OFF LIMITS. However, all Pokemon you have that are at FULL HP can use them to restore PP. This means any Pokemon that isn't already at full health must be boxed up first. HOWEVER, if you want to go all the way back, you can fully heal as much as you want with your mom with all your Pokemon.

3: Because this isn't a NUZLOCKE, you can use REVIVAL items as much as you want (since they're expensive anyways). This also means fainted Pokemon must be boxed until you can buy a REVIVE or MAX REVIVE for them.

4: Healing moves such as RECOVER can be used.

5: Every 3 gym leaders you beat, you get 1 FREE full party (and all boxed Pokemon) healing at the Pokecenter.

6: You are not allowed to FLY to any city or location unless that is the ONLY way to get there.

So yeah, that's it. Nothing too fancy or out of the blue.

GOOD LUCK!

PARTICIPATION
To join, simply comment below:

TRAINER: (Put the name you gave your trainer here)
RIVAL: (Put the name you gave your rival here)
GAME: (Put the name of the game you are playing here)
TEAM: (List all the Pokemon [by their actual Pokemon name] that you have so far and their levels)

PARTICIPANTS

TRAINER: NOH
RIVAL: BUDDY
GAME: Pokemon Yellow
TEAM: Pikachu Lv75 | Kadabra Lv64 | Snorlax Lv67 | Haunter Lv67 | Nidoking Lv68 (Completed)

TRAINER: AL
RIVAL: JB
GAME: Pokemon Gold
TEAM: Quilava Lv20 | Zubat Lv13 | Togepi Lv12

TRAINER: No Heal
RIVAL: Hale
GAME: Pokemon Blue
TEAM: None yet...

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
GAME: Gold
TEAM: Quilava lvl 20, Zubat lvl 13, Togepi lvl 12
Spoiler: Day 1
Forgot about the Berry the starters hold so Cyndaquil ate it on the first Route. Sold the Potions and Berries at the Mart and Cyndaquil fainted from poison from a Spinarak so we trekked back from New Bark to Mr Pokemon. Mandatory heal, but he had almost full HP anyway. Beat our Rival from Smokescreen spam first to avoid more damage and named Rival because naming the meanest rival in the games after your bf is totally alright eh. Caught a Zubat in the cave on the further Route and made it to Violet. Both Pokemon are at 1 HP and have no damaging moves. I dont wanna trek back from New Bark... QwQ Survival of the fittest....

Went to the Sprout Tower and immediately fainted to the first sage of course, but we were transported to Cherrygrove instead of New Bark which I thought was interesting since we didnt even set foot in their PC. Beat the Tower in one go and thought we could take out Falkner easily but I forgot about his gym trainers and we lost to the first one, but back around the second time we beat them and Falkner himself after pushing through. Cyndaquil evolved right before the Gym Fight and he managed to Smokescreen and Leer once again. On Pidgey, I tried to use Smokescreen a lot then Leer a lot to get Zubat's Leech Life to do more damage and heal her, but the dang AI of course got the hit and Quilava finished the fight himself just barely. Used up all his luck on Pidgey so Pidgeotto never hit once. :p Zubat is fainted and Quilava is at 5 HP, still gotta hatch an Egg with only Growl and Charm.... :')

Spoiler: Day 2
Went bacl to heal at the lab as well as get the egg to hatch and show Elm, tried to train Zubat a little on the way but too many Hoothoot it took forever. Togepi hatched in New Bark Town and we ran back to Violet. We made it to Dark Cave or whatever its called but fainted to the first trainers Onix.. Couldve won if it didnt use Bind and Zubat was faster.. We almost got to the TM for Swift when Zubat learned Bite so I gave the TM tl Togepi jnstead and continued on. By the time we made it to the Slowpoke Well only Quilava was unfainted but I thought if I can just get him to ohko the Rockets and Gym Trainers and be overleveled then we could win and heal, but one of the Rockets got Supersonic on Quilava and he fainted too fast. Now weve made it back and beat them, were going to the Gym.

Annnnd I managed to get both Pokemon fainted before the battle even truely bagan and Quilava soloed Bugsy with four Embers... Gotta be more careful...Togepi wont evolve this way either.

Some questions, what about games past 2nd gen where the PC heals them? Im guessing theyre off limits or you place the full hp pokemon in it only? Or just not allowed period? Just asking for clarification, since Im clearly using Gen 2 this time, and I didnt see it on there though Im not having a good seeing/reading day for some reason and missing/misreading other things so sorry if its already said.
And would prof elm be the replacment for the mom in gen ii cause she doesnt heal your team but you can heal them at the lab.
Last, since the Gyms are 8 would I get to heal after the last Badge or just keep going since thats only 2 Badges beaten? since tate and liza are technically two leaders hoenn gets a third heal lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • LOL
  • Seen Oct 24, 2016
GAME: Gold
TEAM: Cyndaquil lvl 5

Some questions, what about games past 2nd gen where the PC heals them? Im guessing theyre off limits or you place the full hp pokemon in it only? Or just not allowed period? Just asking for clarification, since Im clearly using Gen 2 this time, and I didnt see it on there though Im not having a good seeing/reading day for some reason and missing/misreading other things so sorry if its already said.
And would prof elm be the replacment for the mom in gen ii cause she doesnt heal your team but you can heal them at the lab.
Last, since the Gyms are 8 would I get to heal after the last Badge or just keep going since thats only 2 Badges beaten? since tate and liza are technically two leaders hoenn gets a third heal lol

In the situation with the PC healing Pokemon, then yes, only fully healed Pokemon can be boxed to replenish PP. However, it means for people playing the much later games that they'll have to carry fainted Pokemon if they want to keep them.

As for the professor being the replacement, seems fair to me.

And lastly, considering your situation, every 2 gym/leader fights, you can get a full team heal.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
In the situation with the PC healing Pokemon, then yes, only fully healed Pokemon can be boxed to replenish PP. However, it means for people playing the much later games that they'll have to carry fainted Pokemon if they want to keep them.

As for the professor being the replacement, seems fair to me.

And lastly, considering your situation, every 2 gym/leader fights, you can get a full team heal.

Okie dokey

But theres still an even number of Gyms in every region(8 in each region, 16 in johto games) so why my situation? Im so sorry if Im being difficult or aomething I just wanna make sure Im doing everything right

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Hm. Briefly glancing over this makes it seem like the Grass-type starter (in Kanto, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos) is highly preferred because it gets free Leech Seed, which can be potentially used to regenerate HP against weak opponents.

According to Bulbapedia:
Aqua Ring, Grassy Terrain, Heal Pulse, Healing Wish, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Present, and Wish are moves that restore HP. Notably Heal Pulse cannot target the user.
Absorb, Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, Dream Eater, Giga Drain, Horn Leech, Leech Life, Leech Seed, Mega Drain, Oblivion Wing, and Parabolic Charge are moves that drain HP.
Heal Order, Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Rest, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, and Synthesis are moves that recover the user's HP. Notably the Chikorita line DOES get Synthesis.

As far as I can tell, there is basically no reason you want to use Pokemon that lack healing moves, because they're incapable of having PP regenerated by PokeCenters without forcing a team wipe and being regenerated that way.

We now head into some analysis...
Spoiler:

TL;DR: best team in Gen 1 seems to be one Rest TM user, a high-level Gastly line member and/or a Dream Eater TM!Drowzee, a Mega Drain user, Snorlax, and Bulbasaur. Chansey's nice if you can get it, but the catch rate is ridiculous. Meowth should be kept in mind for Pay Day.
I would include Drowzee because Rival's Alakazam can cause major problems for Haunter/Venusaur/anything either part-Poison-type or without a high Special. Snorlax can Amnesia up, but Gen 1's mechanics allow Alakazam to crit frequently and possibly take out Snorlax; it's best to have insurance.

Gen 2 team seems to be Chikorita/Hoppip line, Miltank, Gastly line, and... Abra line? Kanto's high-level Snorlax may be added once you get there.
Dewgong, Furret, and Ursaring all make for decent natural Rest users, but Ursaring is only available in Gold.
Staryu is a Recover user, but Gold and Silver don't have Water Stones before Kanto. Crystal MAY have an occasional Water Stone from Fisherman Tully on Route 42. Just... avoid?
Espeon/Umbreon get Morning Sun/Moonlight at L52.

I don't really play beyond the GBC games, so... :D;;
Honestly, Gen 2 is weird because the EXP curve is... bad. There's some likelihood you'll suffer blackouts just from Clair and E4, especially since these conditions limit grinding, so a Recovery team may not be as useful as in Gen 1; besides which, your mother can save your cash. The only reason to focus heavily on recovery, as far as I can see, is to set checkpoints at Pokemon Centers. No one wants to fight Clair and end up back in Violet City. :P

Spending Ideas:
Spoiler:

---

All of that said, I'm signing up:

TRAINER: No Heal
RIVAL: Hale
GAME: Pokemon Blue
TEAM: N/A (yet)

Planned team is something like Venusaur, Haunter, Hypno, and Snorlax. (Meowth may be caught so that I can always break it out in case emergency money restoration is needed.)

Back