• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Editing the move Tutors in HGSS

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hello. Unfortunately, Platinum's move tutors are different than HGSS's as a result i do not yet know how to modify them.

Now as for HGSS, its a little complicated but I will bring you step by step with the instructions on how to modify the moves and BP cost.

Ok to begin you will need the following tools:

"CrystalTile2"
    A hex editor, I recommend "HxD hex editor"

Ok so first you want to open your Rom in CrystalTile2, then press Ctrl+N to bring up the file system.

Spoiler:

You want to navigate the list and find "FSI.CT/overlay9_0001.bin". Right-click on it and hit Extract(U) and save it somewhere.

Spoiler:

Now you want to open that extracted file in a hex editor and navigate to offset x23AE0 or simply search the hex string "23 01 28 00"

Spoiler:

Now the build up of this hex string is as follows:

23 01 is the move. By swapping the the bytes around we get 0123 and converting that from Hex to Decimal, we get "291" which is the move "Dive".

For a list of moves and their numbers head here
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_moves

The byte "28" is the BP cost which is converted to decimal is 40. So its 40 BP. Changin it to "00" will of course, make the move free!

Spoiler:

The the byte "00" is the tutor of who teaches the move. There are only 3 tutors so you only want to set that byte to either "00" or "01" or "02"

Offset x23BB0 (1D 00 00 03) is the last entry and this is for the Headbutt tutor. So every 4 bytes between x23AE0 and x23BB0 are the make up of the move the represent. Simple remember:

First 2 bytes > "move"
    3rd byte > "cost"
    4th byte > "tutor"

Now the only thing is, the learn tables will be unchanged so if you change say, "Dive" to "Fireblast" then any pokemon that could learn Dive before can now learn Fire blast. As of the time of writing this guide, I do not know how to change the learn tables so please, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Special thanks to "HiroTDK" for helping make this guide.

No credit is necessary :pink_love:

Back