• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Hyper Beam really that bad?

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    I noticed that hyper Beam isn't bad either.

At least you can sweep right away.

In some cases its good, and some cases its bad.

It can work out for Snorlax.

Snorlax@Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
    -Curse
    -Shadow Ball
    -Yawn
    -Hyper Beam

enyce

banned
    Years
    With snorlax its not so bad. Becuase it is a good physical sweeper. Plus with tis defense, you cant do much with the time it has to recharge. Only one turn???

ha...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Are you going to create a thread trying to find the worth of all two-turn moves that arent' very good? LOL

Sorry, but Hyper Beam, like Fly, is too situational to be considered very good. For example, on your Snorlax, HB is 150 AP, but again like Fly, it takes two moves to work. Now, instead of HP, you use Return instead. If your Lax is the happiest it can be, Return has 102 AP. The difference is that Return can attack twice doing 204 damage in the same time that HB can only attack once doing 150 damage. Again, no comparison. Not to mention the fact that if you fainted an opponent Poke with HB and they bring in a Fighting-type, you have to take the hit while waiting to recharge while if you use Return you can switch Lax out for something else.

HB really is that bad.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    Hyper beam = 150 base power.
    Using return twice = 102 +102 = 204...

What is there not to understand?

Not to mention, during the turn ur recharging...a skarm can come in and whirl away all ur curses or a heracross can come in and focus punch u, since u can't switch..
    furthermore, any poke can come in and statup [can u say DDtar?]...

Not cool. Not worth it.

BTW thats some messed up EVs..

Edit : Shux shane beat me too it.

Lord Mike

Years
    Well, its like saying why use Focus Punch when you can use Brick Break twice and not miss a turn.

And for your information Ice Demon, the base power might be 150, but with the STAB, the base power for a Normal-type would be 225. 102+102=204. Yeah, believe it or not can do math. I'm in 7th grade and I'm working at a college level.

You can't always say "Oh no! I should teach it Fire Blast to take down the Skarmory that might come into battle", while doing that you might be inaffective to 40 other Pokemon. Great tactic Ice Demon! Great tactic!

The EVs aren't the point. I was just saying that Hyper Beam can be put to some use. Its just that you guys are so strict about include EVs, that I guess I just had to post them because its your little "standard".

Years
    YoMama said:
    Well, its like saying why use Focus Punch when you can use Brick Break twice and not miss a turn.

And for your information Ice Demon, the base power might be 150, but with the STAB, the base power for a Normal-type would be 225. 102+102=204. Yeah, believe it or not can do math. I'm in 7th grade and I'm working at a college level.

You can't always say "Oh no! I should teach it Fire Blast to take down the Skarmory that might come into battle", while doing that you might be inaffective to 40 other Pokemon. Great tactic Ice Demon! Great tactic!

The EVs aren't the point. I was just saying that Hyper Beam can be put to some use. Its just that you guys are so strict about include EVs, that I guess I just had to post them because its your little "standard".

1- You must not be that smart, thats why you forgot to give Return the same STAB :/

2- Skarm is a HUGE threat to Snorlax because of its massive Def., but its Sp.Def isnt as great, exposing that is the SMART thing to do, thats why EVs are you best friend

3- Either way Focus punch doesnt take up two turns, its takes to the begining of the turns and attacks last

Lord Mike

Years
    1-This is team rating, not the science fair. This doesn't proven how smart or unsmart I am. So if you can say I'm not smart for suggesting a certain move, forgive me, and let me guess that you're not that smart either.

2-Oh no!!! A Skarmory!!! I'll just switch out!!!

3-I guess you dedicate your "smartness" to movesets, because either way, you can flinch and that can cost you five, seventy turns. You might never get to attack. Is that a problem? I think it is.

Years
    Focus punch is used to predict (switches, Taunts,set ups, ect.) if you didnt know :/

So? Use Fire Blast on Snorlax or dont, thats your choice

I wasn't bragging about how smart I was, you were, I dont care if Im smart or dumb, I calls it as I sees it

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
    Calm down guys. If u use hyper beam and skarm comes in u cant leave. Hyper beam immobilizes u for a turn leavingu a sitting duck. Focus Punch is an amazing move if u know how to predict and if u use a hyper beam. You are asking to get focus punched on the turn u are chargin energy. Hyper beam is onli good in RBY as u dont lose a turn if u kill the poke... Thats it

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
    I got no Idea what the other posts say,so all I got's ta say is if you're smart,....battles should not be a problem....and if you're dumb,.....stay away from hyper beam...it's like poison to ya....sorry if I come off mean-sounding....I'm assuming you guys don't lose too often.....^_^

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    Great we're being newbie infested.

Great math there....I'm just amazed that return cannot get STAB.

You clearly don't know how prevalent skarmory is...
    Try learning abt the OU metagame before making such baseless comments.
    Fireblast on snorlax can work...I dont disagree with that.But he has better options....There are only four moveslots after all.

Also lax is primarily a special wall..not a sweeper...Try considering that when assigning natures, EVs and movesets.

BTW unsmart isnt a word.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    *Sigh* we seem to get one of these ''I know everything better than everyone else'' people every month here in the GB Strategies and movesets.

I'm not saying I'd be an expert on Netbattle, but I do know that Hyper Beam should only be used on very few Pokémon, and Snorlax definitely isn't on that list -.-

Besides, Curse will give you all the power you need to defeat others without losing a turn, Return will obviously be strong enough to take down most Pokémon (excluding Ghost, Rock and Steel types, maybe) with one hit, without having to recharge the next turn.

Hera and Weezing say hi to your set, by the way.

I agree with everything else sayed about Hyper Beam's suckiness, too.
    Drew said:
    Wait....

Who ever said that Hyper Beam was bad?

oo >>

Anyone who knows the slightest thing about competitive battling.

Lord Mike

Years
    Smarties-kun said:
    *Sigh* we seem to get one of these ''I know everything better than everyone else'' people every month here in the GB Strategies and movesets.

*Sigh* I assume you know everything?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    YoMama said:
    *Sigh* I assume you know everything?
    *Sigh* I wish people would read someone's entire post before making such comments:
    Smarties-kun said:
    I'm not saying I'd be an expert on Netbattle, but I do know that Hyper Beam should only be used on very few Pokémon, and Snorlax definitely isn't on that list -.-
    You assume too much YoMama, and you know what they say about when you ***-u-me.

Anyways, you (and Drew) can continue to believe that Hyper Beam is somehow a good move, but PLEASE do not distort facts in order to prove your point. Sure, with STAB your precious HB is 225. That said, you are forgetting that Return is a Normal-type move as well, and enjoys the STAB bonus just as much as HB does. That means Return is 153. 153 + 153 = 306. So, you have a move that is not only 71 AP more powerful during those two turns, but you aren't a sitting duck for a turn where your opponent can switch in on you.

The only reasoning I can see behind your love for the two-turn moves is that you have never battled competitively, and have only battled the weakass AI where you can get away with those weak moves. Trust me though, if you battle against anyone else that knows anything about Pokemon, you will drop those moves in a hot second. Well, unless you like losing.

Lord Mike

Years
    Mr. "shanecdavis" said:
    You assume too much YoMama, and you know what they say about when you ***-u-me.

Anyways, you (and Drew) can continue to believe that Hyper Beam is somehow a good move, but PLEASE do not distort facts in order to prove your point. Sure, with STAB your precious HB is 225. That said, you are forgetting that Return is a Normal-type move as well, and enjoys the STAB bonus just as much as HB does. That means Return is 153. 153 + 153 = 306. So, you have a move that is not only 71 AP more powerful during those two turns, but you aren't a sitting duck for a turn where your opponent can switch in on you.

The only reasoning I can see behind your love for the two-turn moves is that you have never battled competitively, and have only battled the weakass AI where you can get away with those weak moves. Trust me though, if you battle against anyone else that knows anything about Pokemon, you will drop those moves in a hot second. Well, unless you like losing.

I beat Battle Tower 1000 times with Pokemon like that. I school people in Netbattle. So guess you're assuming things to. That's really hippocritical, and you sound very ignorant. You might not know, but my team would probably school you in Netbattle. I don't even really do much of that EV stuff because that was my Crobat's stats with a Neutral nature and no EVs. Imagine how much better it would be with the EVs.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    YoMama said:
    I beat Battle Tower 1000 times with Pokemon like that. I school people in Netbattle. So guess you're assuming things to. That's really hippocritical, and you sound very ignorant. You might not know, but my team would probably school you in Netbattle. I don't even really do much of that EV stuff because that was my Crobat's stats with a Neutral nature and no EVs. Imagine how much better it would be with the EVs.
    Who is the hippocrit that is sounding ignorant? It isn't wise to call someone out and then do the EXACT same thing the very next sentence. I also cannot believe that you "school people in NB" with some of the posts that I have read here. Do you have some battle logs to back up your claim?

Anyways, enough of the borderline attacks. I apologize for stooping to that level. Back on topic - you can consider HB to be a good move, but most competitive battlers will tell you that it will fail you more often than not and it just pales in comparison to Return, especially on Snorlax, for reasons I have already explained.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Like, I agree with the negative parts about Hyper Beam. It's good in R/B/Y due to the simple fact that there are few substitutionary moves at the time, making things like a Hyper Beam Persian (STAB + Formidable Speed) and Hyper Beam Dragonite (KOs everything except for a choice few pokes with one hit) foes to be reconed with, but in todays gaming environment? Not a chance. Not only is 2 x Return stronger than 1 x Hyper Beam, but there's also the fact that Hyper Beam has an accuracy of 90, meaning that it can leave you high and dry in a time of need, and it only has 5 PP. Ever heard of the 'Pressure' trait? Three Hyper Beams on a Pressure pokémon and you'll be a sitting duck against Normal types, which is not a good thing. Also, since your moveset lacks Rest a simple Will-O-Wisp will completely cripple Snorlax (Halved Attack does not make for very good damage) while a hit of Toxic will more or less render it useless since it will be KOed before it can do much damage. Finally...there's Substitute. Any faster pokémon with Substitute (And outspeeding Lax ain't hard) will be able to absorb the Hyper Beam with a Sub, set up a new one while you're recharging and then get a free attack during the turn you use Hyper Beam again. BOAH Tar, for instance, would completely crush this build since the Substitute could no doubt take at least one hit from either move, giving it one extra free turn of Focus Punch.

So yeah, Hyper Beam only has two uses nowadays;

1. A hard-hitting move for Slaking since it would lose that second turn anyway due to its trait, although this use is questionable too since Slaking is primarily a hit-and-run pokémon and doesn't really need the extra power due to its tremendous Attack stat.

2. Poor-man's selfdestruct, a suicide move for times when you know that you're pokémon is about to get KOed and want to deal as much damage as possible before it goes. This use is questionable too, however, as, for the rest of the time, it would just be sitting there and taking up a precious moveslot and doesn't even pack as much of a punch as Selfdestruct or Explosion.

Last edited:

Demonta

Jem Juggler
    Years
    I personally don't mind fly though I do despise hyper beam. Hyperbeam leaves you one turn completely motionless, 2 OHKOs (one hits) could have landed or you are going to end up stuffing the pokemon with hyper potions because someone used super effective move once or twice. And if you are really unlucky, you could end up in that bad cycle where you keep stuffing yourself up with potions so your best one don't die only to have the opponent taking off about that much making $2500 worth of potions to only be able to heal 10 hp!... fly is a completely different matter, as far as I can see, it just wastes one of your opponent's pp at the same time as a 70 power attack...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't mean to mix threads, but Fly is just as bad as HB. It doesn't matter that your opponent wasted a move, to be honest. What matters is that it took you two moves to land a 70 AP Fly, when you could have hit twice with a 60 AP Wing Attack/Aerial Ace. Not to mention the fact that, like HB, Fly is only 90% accurate, meaning you have TWO chances that the move will fail, while WA is 100% accurate and AA will ALWAYS hit. Again, I apologize for mixing threads.

As Alter Ego put so very well, HB was a decent move back in RBY, but it is not a smart move in today's metagame. Nothing is worse than being stuck for a full turn, not even being able to switch out, while your opponent has a free shot at you.

Back