• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Compiled Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullet

Banned
Years
  • The OU Metagame
    By: Twinkies / Mullet

Table of Contents:

I. Introduction

II. Common Pokemon

III. Threats in the OU Metagame

IV. Building an OU Team

V. Credit Where Credit is Due​

Section I. Introduction:

The OU (overused) or Standard metagame refers to the group of Pokemon that are most overused on NetBattle today. Some of this group of Pokemon have base stats that are Uber metagame caliber but have flaws to keep them from being uber such as their stats and or their movepool.

All of the following Pokemon are considered OU at the PokeRealm server:

Aerodactyl
    Alakazam
    Articuno
    Blaziken
    Blissey
    Breloom
    Celebi
    Chansey
    Charizard
    Claydol
    Dodrio
    Donphan
    Dragonite
    Dugtrio
    Dusclops
    Entei
    Espeon
    Exeggutor
    Flygon
    Forretress
    Gardevoir
    Gengar
    Gyarados
    Heracross
    Jirachi
    Jolteon
    Kingdra
    Ludicolo
    Magneton
    Marowak
    Medicham
    Metagross
    Milotic
    Miltank
    Moltres
    Ninjask
    Raikou
    Regice
    Regirock
    Registeel
    Rhydon
    Salamence
    Sceptile
    Skarmory
    Slaking
    Smeargle
    Snorlax
    Starmie
    Suicune
    Swampert
    Tauros
    Tyranitar
    Umbreon
    Vaporeon
    Venusaur
    Weezing
    Zapdos

Section II. Common Pokemon:

Even though all of the Pokemon listed above are considered OU. Some are more common than others.

High OU Pokemon their most common move sets include:

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Aromatherapy
    - Seismic Toss
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder Wave / Ice Beam

Note: If using Ice Beam take around 116 EVs from HP and put them into Satk which will Make standard DD Mence take about 87%-100% damage.

Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 240 HP / 120 Def / 148 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Baton Pass
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic / Hidden Power [Fire / Electric]
    - Recover

Note: You will need to adjust it's EVs if using HP [Fire], Celebi needs 300 Speed to outrun non-Jolly Mence.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rest
    - Rock Slide

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Bug]

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 196 Atk / 184 Spd / 128 SAtk
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Focus Punch / Hypnosis
    - Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Giga Drain
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Brick Break
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Megahorn
    - Sleep Talk / Focus Punch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 240 HP / 56 Def / 16 Spd / 148 SAtk / 48 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Fire Punch
    - Psychic
    - Wish

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion
    - Meteor Mash
    - Rock Slide

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Marvel Scale
    EVs: 212 HP / 172 Def / 68 SAtk / 56 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Hypnosis
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Surf

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 196 Def / 16 Spd
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Rest
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Immunity / Thick Fat
    EVs: 160 HP / 72 Atk / 136 Def / 140 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam
    - Curse
    - Rest
    - Shadow Ball

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 156 Def / 96 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Beam
    - Rest

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 44 HP / 240 Atk / 176 Spd / 48 SDef
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Rock] / Rock Slide
    - Taunt

Note: Choose HP [Rock] if you want accuracy over power and chance to flinch. Also if using RS you may take 4 EVs off of Speed (because HP [Rock] gives you only 30 Speed IVs instead of the max of 31 you get without HP [Rock]) and put them into Atk or SDef.

Section III. Threats in the OU Metagame:

Skarmbliss:

Not much of a threat anymore if you know how to counter it. It involves a combination of the Pokemon Skarmory and Blissey to block Physical and Special attacks respectively.

Counters include:

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 196 Atk / 184 Spd / 128 SAtk
    - Focus Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt

McIceGar

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 68 Spd / 188 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Crunch

Boah.

Magneton + Choice Bander (Pokemon that holds the item Choice Band) and Dugtrio + a Special attacker:

What is so dangerous about these combos are that they can easily take out a Physical or Special wall and then sweep the rest of your team.

Counters include:

Using your own Dugtrio to try and Trap their Magneton counters the Magneton + CBer and Regice and Snorlax counters the Dugtrio + a special attacker combo.

Heracross:

This guy is such a threat with his high speed and attack. When you give him a Choice Band he becomes even more deadly and he is also able to abuse his Trait Guts, one of the best ways is to switch him into a Hypnosis attack from Milotic and then use Sleep Talk which means that means he get the Choice Band Boost plus the bonus from Guts which makes him one huge pain to kill since he is so fast and can OHKO a lot of things.

Counters include:

Skarmory, or other Pokemon with extremely high Defence.

Jirachi:

Jirachi has a lot of staying power using Calm Mind in conjunction with Wish. This thing hits Pokemon hard with a STAB'd (same type attack bonus) Psychic and for Pokemon that resist Psychic it can use Fire Punch to hit them.

Counters include:

A fast strong physical sweeper that has Earthquake (ie. Dugtrio), a Pokemon that packs Earthquake and high Sp.Def (ie. EQ Snorlax), a strong physical attacker that packs Earthquake (ie. Metagross).

Celebi:

It is just as bad if not worse than Jirachi it has instant healing at it's access
    With Recover, and with Calm Mind to increase it's SAtk and SDef it becomes a monstrous Special tank and can stop many things in their tracks. It can pass those Calm Minds to something like Suicune when can then sweep teams. It can also learn Leech Seed to sap your HP away increasing it's staying power, it can also learn Heal Bell to heal the status conditions on your team, which can also help in abusing the move Rest. Also with Natural Cure all those nasty status conditions disappear from Celebi when you switch it out.

Counters include:

Choice Band Dugtrio with HP [Bug] (it does NOT OHKO Celebi, it only does between 85% and 95% damage to standard Celebi. DD Salamence and DD Gyarados with one Dragon Dance can OHKO standard Celebi with HP [Flying].

Spikes:

Spikes is a big threat in the OU Metagame. If three layers of Spikes are laid down then that means that your Pokemon will take 25% damage each time they are sent out. Skarmory abuses it's ability to lay down Spikes with Roar or Whirlwind by shuffling Pokemon in and out causing 25% damage to each Pokemon every time it is dragged out. Forretress is also a very good Spiker, he can also learn Rapid Spin which brings us to the counters.

Counters include:

Any Pokemon that can learn Rapid Spin. Common Spinners include Claydol, Forretress, and Starmie. Watch out for ghost types like Gengar and Dusclops who can block your Rapid Spin so you don't blow the spikes away.

Section IV. Building an OU team:

There are many important guidelines to building a successful OU team:

1) Have one to two Physical Sweepers, try to make them a different type think about Salamence and Dragonite on the same team both are 4x weak to Ice meaning that if at least on of your opponents Pokemon has Ice Beam which is highly likely then both are of your physical sweepers are gone meaning something like Blissey can wall the rest of your team.

2) Have one to two Special Sweepers again try to make them both different types.

3) Have at least on Phazer (something that can use Roar / Whirlwind or Haze to stop another Pokemon from using stat-up moves ie. Skarmory with Roar or Whirlwind or Weezing with Haze). A phazer that uses Roar or Whirlwind can also help with Spikes support.

4) Have at least one Physical wall (something that takes physical hits very well without taking much damage) and one Special wall (something that takes Special hits very well without taking much damage) (ie. Blissey as a special wall and Skarmory as a physical wall).

5) A Spiker (something that can lay Spikes) is a good thing to have but is not necessary.

6) A Rapid Spinner is needed, unless you have Magneton on your team and one layer of Spikes doesn't bother you too much. Which means Magneton can fill the role of a Special Sweeper and Skarmory counter.

7) Have a Cleric (a Pokemon that can use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to heal status conditions ie. Celebi or Blissey). Most good teams have a Cleric weather it is used to abuse Rest, get rid of bad status conditions or both. A Cleric is a very advantageous thing to have on a competitive OU team.

Note: Many of these categories may overlap (ie. Skarmory as a Spiker and a defensive wall).

Section V. Credit Where Credit is Due and Special Thanks:

Frostweaver: without him I would have never started competitive battling.
    Husk1442: Being a good friend, helping me with this guide and helping me learn how to battle competitively.
    Groudon80: He helped with listing all of the high OU Pokemon.
    Mr. Maser: Helped out with a couple of sets and listing high OU Pokemon.
    Leafgreen386: For confirming a couple of damage calculations, and pointing out to me things that I missed.
    PokeRealm: For the OU tier list.
    Special thanks to the readers: I hope this has helped you better understand the OU metagame.
    ______________________________​

Guide To Prediction

By: husk1442

I. Intro
    II. Move Sets
    III. Timing
    IV. Surprise
    V. Long Term Thinking
    VI. Recording
    VII. The Enemy (how to predict)
    VIII. Safe Predictions[/center]
    IX. Conclusion
    X. Real World Application

I. Intro

Prediction is the art of knowing what your opponent will do before they do it. This said, it is obvious that with a good team you can win every game if you know exactly what your opponent will do. This is what separates the good from the mediocre.

II. Move Sets

Knowing standard movesets is key to winning. If you know what your opponent has you can switch to the appropriate counter. Having a good move set is part of prediction. If your metagross has HP:grass then you can predict the switch to Swampert and 2hko it. If you don't have it, you can't. This does not mean you can't predict the switch to Swampert. You can still earthquake on the switch but, your prediction is futile, Swampert isn't being hurt that badly by your efforts. A

III. Timing

Lets say your Zapdos has HP: Ice and its being walled by your opponents Celebi. You probably don't want to HP: ice the celebi on the switch because your prediction will be futile. Yes, you will do more damage than T-bolt but, you won't be killing it. In the future when your opponents will probably send out Salamence or Flygon against your Zapdos thinking you have HP:Grass, then you will be able to ohko it. Timing also refers to lets say: when you reveal to your opponent you have a tyranitar and it knows dragon dance. If you reveal it late game when your opponents counters have died, you will probably win the game.

IV. Surprise

If your opponent doesn't know your set, they can't predict you. Many good players use unorthodox sets and win easily because no one has any idea what they will do. That's not to say standard sets don't have their merits but, everyone gets owned by a Gengar with fire punch every once in a while.

V. Long Term Thinking

Long Term Thinking is knowing what you and your opponent wish to accomplish down the road.
    Example:

Team 1 (me): Meta, Pert, Celebi, Starmie
    Team 2 (opponent): Zapdos, Milotic, Dugtrio, Snorlax

If my opponent has HP:grass zapdos and I'm holding it off with celebi, I'm pretty sure I don't want to use celebi to wall his milotic incase of a ch. I also don't want to switch celebi into zapdos every time because he might swap to dugtrio quickly. The logical thing to do is to every once in a while absorb a t-bolt with pert and then take the HP: grass with meta. That way he won't swap in dugtrio when I do send out celebi. Now that I have stopped my opponent's long term goal, what is mine?

Mine would probably be to kill dugtrio and beat his team down with Celebi. Another thing I could do is kill snorlax and sweep his team with starmie. Either way it will require a lot of predicted switches. I don't want to try and sweep with meta or pert since he has 3 and 2 counters for them respectively. I could sacrifice pert to bring zapdos into K.O. range and start rolling heads with starmie.

After my opponent's Zapdos is dead, we must think and revise our idea of his strategy. He could just let milotic die and use snorlax+dugtrio to beat my team, which is quite viable. Snorlax curses against starmie and beats on celebi, a predicted dugtrio can take out celebi and metagross. So now the important thing for me to do is to kill his snorlax. So I don't want meta to die as it is my only sure way of killing lax. Since, I don't want it to die I'm not going to randomly switch into snorlax with meta. What I might try to do is:

~Use starmie to kill milotic
    ~Use celebi to seed snorlax and dick around
    ~Let dugtrio kill celebi
    ~Send out meta against the HP:bug'ing dugtrio
    ~Meteor Mash his snorlax and then either explode if not cb or just keep mashing if I am
    ~Dugtrio comes in on snorlax's death and kills meta
    ~Use starmie to beat dugtrio

Seeing as how some logic just turned a bad situation into a good one, your opponent could probably use this same technique against you.

VI. Recording

Writing the HP, moves, and pp of your opponents pokemon in a notepad document is extremely useful. That way you know just how long you need to stall to win, or if your DDtar can sweep yet. Writing everything down means you don't miss a thing and eventually when you get good enough you can estimate their evs based on how fast they are or by how much damage they do.

VII. The Enemy

Standing in your enemies shoes is probably the greatest way to outright know what they will do. Most people don't realize that their opponents don't want to do max damage to their team. Opponents (like you) want to do maximum damage to their opposites team at the lowest risk to themselves. Knowing this, you can know what they will do based on what you would do if you were in their situtation.

VIII. Safe Predictions

A safe prediction is a good one.
    For example:

Lets say you use a non-cb meteor mash on regice, bringing it into the red zone. Then you want to use eq because it will kill regice and because if your opponent does switch out they won't be switching to something that will get destroyed by meteor mash. Which probably means something weak to eq if they haven't already sent it out. This will get you a lot of kills.

IX. Conclusion

If you know what, where, and when your opponent will act you win the game. Taking safe predictions is probably the best way to win. Just remember to think about the consequences of your prediction. You obviously don't want to predict a switch and surf when your opponents DD'ed mence is up against your 55% milotic.

X. Real World Application

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2176546

Effort Values

By: Synchronize

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I. What's an Effort Value?

II. How do I get EVs?

III. Let's EV Train!

IV. Speeding up the Process

V. Maximum Leftovers Recovery and HP Evs​

I. What's an Effort Value?

An Effort Value (EV) is the building block of the potential of each individual Pokemon's stats. A Pokemon has a capacity of 510 EVs to split between all 6 of its stats (HP, Atk, Def, Spd, SAtk, and SDef), each having their own capacity of 255 EVs.

II. How do I get EVs?

In-game, battling a specific Pokemon will help your Pokemon gain a certain amount of EVs in a specific stat (and in some cases two stats). That Pokemon must be able to gain EXP. however, and cannot faint.

If you would like to know which Pokemon gives specific EVs, here's the link to a GameFaqs guide that spells it out for you:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbad..._ev_points.txt

On Pokemon NetBattle, you can manually mess around with Pokemon EVs in the Team Builder.

III. Let's EV Train!

Ok, it's time to make the most out of your stats, but keep these guidelines in mind:

1) Yes, your pokemon's EVs and Stats will grow, but you won't see the significance of these gains until level 100. Now that you know that, it is required to have 4 EVs to gain 1 point in that specific stat (i.e. If you battle two Marills, you will gain 4 HP EVs, and gain 1 more point in HP once you level up). But like I said, you won't necessarily know the actual change until level 100. So let's say we didn't give a Salamence any speed EVs during training. Once it reaches level 100, it will have a 236 Spd stat. Now what if we had given it 8 Spd EVs? It would've had a 238 Spd stat.

In other words don't mix the fact that you got +8 Spd once your Pokemon leveled up with your actual EVs and Stat totals.

2) Wow, that was a long guideline. Anyways, the next thing you should know is actually branched off from guideline #1 - As mentioned, 4 EVs = 1 point increase in stats. Since you have a capacity for 255 in a stat, the maximum EVs you SHOULD put into a stat is 252, which is divisible by 4.

3) JOT IT DOWN! If you're EV training, it's wise to have a piece of paper, or at least an online EV Tracker, as I doubt you'll count out all 510 EVs iny your head and still remember how many you used within the next 2 minutes.

4) Ever used one of those Proteins, or Irons? These medicines are actually what you should start your EV training with, as for each one you use, it increases its respective stat by 10 EVs. Given that you can use only 10 of each medicine, and still are limited by the 255 and 510 EV limits, you'll be able to increase your EVs by 100 per stat.

5) Make sure to ask around for a good "EV Spread" for the Pokemon your training, otherwise, you might think that a Smeargle needs 252 Def EVs to cover for its low defense, and that's not going to help you.

Other than that, consider breeding first for a good Nature or good IVs (not included in this guide) and get crackin.

IV. Speeding Up the Process

*Whew* This EV training is a grueling process. There must be a faster way to do this...

INTRODUCING THE MACHO BRACE!

The Macho Brace is a hold item that doubles the amount of EVs you gain from a fainted Pokemon. So if you normally get 2 Def EVs from Skarmory, if the Pokemon you use is holding Macho Brace, you gain 4 Def EVs instead. The only downside is that the item decreases your speed, but you don't care anyway.
    Another helpful, but random, way to speed the process, is for your Pokemon to receive the PokeRus (did I spell that right?) virus. Lol, it's actually a beneficial virus, applying the same effect as Macho Brace without lowering your speed.
    Now here's a thrill:
    What if your Pokemon holding the Macho Brace is inflicted with the Virus? Your EVs Double twice. So now you get 8 Def EVs from Skarm. Cool, no?

V. Maximum Leftovers Recovery and HP EVs

So you've got the hang of EVs now. Now there's a couple of other important factors to learn, that mainly apply to pokemon that tank, wall, or use Rest. that's Max Lefties.
    To understand this, you must know that Leftovers heals a Pokemon by 1/16th of a Pokemon's HP. So unless your Pokemon's total HP stat is divisible by 16, you won't heal as much as you possibly could (you may also have one more HP than your max lefties point and still get the most out of your leftovers. For example, 400 HP is divisible by 16, acheiving Max Lefties Recovery, but you may use 401 HP and still acheive it, as decimals are exempt from the division). This is not necessarily a setback in all cases, but it's valuable to know.

Here's the Max Leftovers Recovery Stat Totals from 272 HP to what ever Blissey's range covers:

272 288 304 320 336 352 368 384 400 416 432 448 464 480 496 512 528 544 560 576 592 608 624 640 656 672 688 704 720 736

Another important piece of info to know about HP EVs is how they relate to your walls and tanks. Health accounts for most of your defenses, so the more HP you have, less you need to put into your Defense EVs, and the better your pokemon can tank or wall. Skarmory is a prime example. At first, a standard EV spread included 196 HP EVs for a max lefties point, putting the rest in Defense, Attack, and Speed. CBed Fighting types started to hurt it more until a solution was found to give Skamory 252 HP EVs, and easily walls physical attacks better than it could before. Some walls, however, require max HP just becase their base HP stat is pitiful, like Cloyster or Dusclops.

The road to training a pokemon to its max potential is a long and hard one, but you'll competively reap the benefits if you have your EVs right. After that, it's only a matter of gaining and understanding/mastery of breeding, IVs/Pokemon genes, and Natures, and you're on the start to making some of the best teams around.

Nature's List
    By: Synchronize

Specially Made for your Quick Reference. Keep in mind that Non-Neutral Natures gives a 10% boost to one stat, while deducting 10% from another.

Neutral Natures

Bashful Nature (Neutral)
    Docile Nature (Neutral)
    Hardy Nature (Neutral)
    Serious Nature (Neutral)
    Quirky (Neutral)

+Attack Natures

Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)

+Defense Natures

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

+Speed Natures

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

+Special Attack Natures

Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)

+Special Defense Natures

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    Gentle Nature (+SDef, -Def)
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)​

Sumbit any and all new guides you deem worthy to Aragornbird or I to be approved, if approved then we will add them.

Note: Don't post in this thread it will be stickied and locked. AB edit this out when done so.

4th generation EV guide
    By: Relyt

What are EVs?
    -First off, what are EVs is the first question you'll ask. EVs are called Effort Values. Effort Values are given for defeating Pokemon. The Effort Values depend on a Pokemon. For example, Starly gives 1 Speed Effort Value for defeating it. Once you get 4 Effort Values in a stat, it will increase by 1 when you level up. So, if you defeat 4 Starlys, you'll get +1 to your speed stat. The maximum EVs a Pokemon can get in a single stat is 255. This will make your stat increase by about 63. When you're level 100, and you've defeated Starlys to get 255 speed EVs, and compare yourself to a level 100 who hasn't been EV trained in Speed you'll have about 63 more speed than the other. The maximum EVs you can get total is 510. Meaning you can max out 2 stats on your Pokemon.

How can I speed up EV training?
    -You might be asking, defeating 255 Starlys isn't worth the time of getting the 63 boost in speed. So there are a few items that can boost EV training. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs gained from a Pokemon. When your Pokemon battling another is holding the Macho Brace it will gain double of the EVs that the Pokemon would normally give off. Say you have a Chimchar, and it's fighting a Starly, Chimchar is holding the Macho Brace and it defeats the Starly, the Chimchar will not only get 1 Speed Effort Value, but 2 because it is holding the Macho Brace. There are a few more items that help with EV training as well. I'll list them below.

Items that boost EV training
    -Power Anklet --- boosts Speed EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give speed EVs the Power Anklet gives +4 in speed. For example, if you defeat a Starly you'll get 5 EVs in speed, one for initially defeating the Starly and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Anklet

-Power Bracer --- boosts Attack EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give attack EVs the Power Bracer gives +4 in attack. For example, if you defeat a Machop you'll get 5 EVs in attack, one for initially defeating the Machop and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Bracer

-Power Weight --- boosts HP EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give HP EVs the Power Weight gives +4 in HP. For example, if you defeat a Bidoof you'll get 5 EVs in HP, one for initially defeating the Bidoof and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Weight.

-Power Belt --- boosts Defense EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give Defense EVs the Power Belt gives +4 in Defense. For example, if you defeat a Geodude you'll get 5 EVs in Defense, one for initially defeating the Geodude and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Belt.

-Power Lens --- boosts Sp. Attack EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give Sp. Attack EVs the Power Lens gives +4 in Sp. Attack. For example, if you defeat a Ghastly you'll get 5 EVs in Sp. Attack, one for initially defeating the Ghastly and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Lens.

-Power Band --- boosts Sp. Defense EV training. When defeating Pokemon who give Sp. Defense EVs the Power Band gives +4 in Sp. Defense. For example, if you defeat a Tentacool you'll get 5 EVs in Sp. Defense, one for initially defeating the Tentacool and four because your Pokemon is holding the Power Band.

Each of these Power Items can be bought at the Battle Tower for 16 Battle Points each.

Those items like Calcium and Iron, it says they boost stats, does that have to do with EV training?
    -In fact those items do. Every time you use one of those items you get 10 EVs. For example, HP Up, it will give 10 EVs per every one you use. You can only use a maximum of 10 each. If you use 10 HP Ups you'll get 100 EVs in HP, leaving you with only 155 more to go to reach your maximum EVs in HP. The items that boost this are:

HP Up --- Hitpoints
    Protein --- Attack
    Iron --- Defense
    Carbos --- Speed
    Calcium --- Sp. Attack
    Zinc --- Sp. Defense

You can find these items throughout the game, Pickup ability, buying them at Veilstone department store for 9,800 each, or using the Dowsing Machine App on your Poketch.

I have a Pokemon holding Exp. Share does it gain EVs too?
    -Yes the Pokemon holding Exp. Share gains the same EVs as the one who's doing all the battling. If you have a Charizard in the front of your team who's defeating Starlys, and you also have a Squirtle in your team holding Exp. Share, both the Charizard and Squirtle will get 1 Speed Effort Value. Now, if you have the Charizard holding Macho Brace, and the Squirtle holding Exp. Share, the Squirtle will not get the same EVs as Charizard. Charizard gets 2 Speed EVs because it is holding Macho Brace, but Squirtle only still gets 1 Speed EV.

I obtained a virus called Pokérus (PKRS) what does it do?
    -Pokérus helps with EV training. When you go to heal your Pokemon at the Pokecenter Nurse Joy tells you it's a virus and will go away eventually. Having Pokérus though, is a good thing. It doubles the EVs you get from a battle. It works basically the same as a Macho Brace, but you don't have to have a hold item, it just happens. You can hold items such as Macho Brace and have Pokérus at the same time to make EV training even faster, but I'll explain that later.

How do I get Pokérus?
    -Pokérus is randomly obtained by defeating wild Pokemon or capturing them. You have a really rare chance of getting Pokérus, it's even rarer than finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild, which is a 1 in 8192 chance of seeing one. To keep Pokérus for a vast amount of time, put the Pokemon with Pokérus in your PC before midnight. This allows it to not go away. You can pass Pokérus from one Pokemon to the next. If you have a Pokemon in your first spot of your party and it has Pokérus, and you have a Pokemon in the second spot without Pokérus, eventually after defeating wild Pokemon the second Pokemon in your party will also get Pokérus. Now if you have a Pokemon in the PC with Pokérus you could always just pull it out and spread it to someone else to increase EV training.

My Pokemon doesn't have Pokérus anymore, instead it has a smiley face in it's stats. What does it mean?
    -Don't worry, this only means that the Pokérus wore off. However you still have the effects of getting double the EVs from a value, you just can't spread Pokérus anymore. So that's why it's always great to keep a spare Pokemon in your PC with it who can spread it.

Now, here's where I will explain how the Pokérus + Item Combo works.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 1 EV: Macho Brace + Pokérus. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon who gives 1 EV, making it 2. Then since you have Pokérus, it doubles again making the EVs you get is 4. So from defeating a single Starly while having Pokérus and holding Macho Brace you will get 4 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 1 EV: Power Item + Pokérus. The Power Item adds +4 EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. So if you defeat a Pokemon who gives 1 EV, then add + 4 it's 5 EVs from that single Pokemon. Then you have PKRS, which then doubles the 5 EVs to 10. So by defeating a single Starly, holding the Power Anklet, and having PKRS gives 10 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs: Macho Brace + Pokérus. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs, making it 4. Then since you have Pokérus, it doubles again making the EVs you get is 8. So from defeating a single Staravia while having PKRS and holding Macho Brace you will get 8 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs: Power Item + Pokérus. The Power Item adds +4 EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. So if you defeat a Pokemon who gives 2 EVs, then add +4 it's 6 EVs from that single Pokemon. Then you have Pokérus which then doubles the 6 EVs to 12. So by defeating a single Staravia, holding the Power Anklet and having Pokérus gives 12 Speed EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs: Macho Brace + Pokérus. The Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs, making it 6. Then since you have Pokérus, it doubles again making the EVs you get is 12. So from defeating a single Staraptor while having Pokérus and holding the Macho Brace you will get 12 Attack EVs.

Defeating a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs: Power Item + Pokérus. The Power Item adds +4 EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. So if you defeat a Pokemon who gives 3 EVs, then add + 4 it's 7 EVs from that single Pokemon. Then you have Pokérus which then doubles the 7 EVs to 14. So by defeating a single Staraptor, holding the Power Bracer and having Pokérus gives you 14 Attack EVs.

How do I know how many EVs my Pokemon has?
    -The only way to know how many EVs your Pokemon has is either by writing it down on a piece of paper and calculating it yourself or using the Counter App. on your Poketch. However, when you are done EV training there is a lady in the Sunnyshore city mart who will give your Pokemon an Effort Ribbon for completing it's EV training.

What level should I start EV training at?
    -You can EV train at any level, but it's best to start out at a lower level so that you don't have to worry about not being able to EV train at level 100 anymore. When you EV train you don't get all the EVs right when you level up. It spans out until you reach level 100. So once you're level 100 it's almost imposible to EV train. You can EV train, but there's a trick that has to do with your PC, but I'm unsure about it, so we'll leave that out.

I messed up on my EV training, how can I restart?
    -Well in the game there's special berries that most people call "Correction Berries". These Correction Berries are berries such as Pomeg. It makes a Pokemon happier, but lowers it's HP EVs by 10. You can keep using these berries until you get the message. "Pokemon became friendlier, however it's base HP cannot go lower." That means that your EVs in that stat have been reset to zero and you can EV train again, this time without messing up hopefully.

That basically covers all of EV training. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. :)

Written by Relyt.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back