• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Second Time's the Charm" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss part two of the showdown with Salon Maiden Anabel in the empathic rematch of "Second Time's the Charm".

My review to come forthwith.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...Let the natural order return...

*ahem* ...Actually, the phrase fits to the episode, too, what with Ash's comeback and all. It was interesting to see Ash just go in with different tactics and win with the same team (dues-ex-machina in action, right Dark Charaxes?), but his final win used...tactics that one would expect Team Rocket to pull off, to put it simply. Also, if Anabel could understand Ash's Pokemon outside of battle, then why not DURING the battle? She should have been able to tell where Pikachu was, even with the lights out (or at least Espeon should have).

Oh, and did anybody else see that last bit coming a mile off?

Years
  • Deus ex machina is more someone/something intervenes to quickly wrap up the conflict. I always say Deus ex machina timing for the rapid-than-normal ending. Anticlimatic is the proper term here. But, that's a good observation on your end. I don't think I'd say it's Deus ex machina, as more the series off/on power/type gauge.

Like how Ash's Grass Pokemon always beat the Rockets' Poison types, for example? Or in this case, Tauros vs. Metagross? I say that because it was disconcerting seeing the Alakazam who kicked so much booty in the previous episode be able to be beaten so easily here. After that, it went downhill for me.

And, yes, it's clear Anabel is an empath or some form of a telepath, yet the series won't outright play on that and state it. Of course, if they do that, they'd have to acknowledge Anabel's clear inspiration: Sabrina. The previous episode made that paricularly clear as they swapped out Sabrina's tragedy with Anabel's androgyny to make the new psychic distinctive. Ironic as they've recycled a theme before and openly affirmed it, while here, not so much.

That's the only theory I could have for her not being able to detect her opponent's Pokemon -- the writers and the fact being the final battle was 1/3th of the episode instead of normal. The previous episode had at least a little more time to work with. This was begging for another episode, just to get Anabel's quirks and further exploration of her empathy. I enjoyed the first act as the gang tried to attempt her empathy and Ash actually attempt to train, but both acts come off as belonging in two separate episodes instead of being mishmashed here.

And this is the second Frontier Brain to have feelings for someone in a twist ending way. What's next? Brandon is going to fall for May? Heh. Please.

Still, Anabel was intriguing for being a male-ish girl instead of the usual girly men and her dub voice was rather appropriate. I know she won't return, but think of the issues you can use with her. So many ideas....

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Okay, so I was really amused by these last few episodes.
    I found the whole telepathy thing really amusing...
    Not to mention that Anabel is pretty awesome. I think she's my favorite Frontier Brain now. xD

I liked the battles too. x3

Josh

Level 99 Black Belt
    Years
  • I liked this episode too and I thought the telepethy thing was pretty neat too.

I can't beleive that she has feelings for Ash and he couldn't tell.

I've missed alot of the Battle Frontier episodes, but this one I liked alot.

I can hardly wait to see tonights episode.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Umm Doublewide that was random, anyways I really liked this episode because I was fascinated on how she can talk to her Pokemon and understand them. And Ash's strategy this time

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Back